Gain One. Loose One

trambo

With the main 2017 season over we gained one hire yard, the Broads Boating Company at Acle Bridge but lost Maffett Cruisers at Chedgrave.

Broads Boating Co. yard at Acle Bridge.

The Broads Boating Co, based at the former Horizon Craft yard with Pedro's restaurant.

Maffett Cruisers Chedgrave

Sad to see this two beauties up for sale. Swallow and Merlin at their home yard.

Fred

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

The Broads Boating Company have had a very good first year, if their regular Facebook posts are anything to go by. I'm pleased for them, considering how sad I was a year ago when Horizon finished. 

I agree it's sad to see Maffetts go. I never hired from them but I wish I had because having been with Pacific I know what a lovely start location Loddon is. My late father hired Merlin in 2009 and had a fabulous time. 

• Like 4

I agree it is very sad to see Maffett go. We too never hired from them, as many years ago we booked with Pacific Cruisers via Blakes and that was that, we never go anywhere else but Broads01 is quite right, Loddon does make the best starting point for a boating holiday.

Just looking at Trambo's photo that picture is real "old broads", it could date back to almost any time. The loss of these small yards over the last twenty years or so is really sad.

• Like 2

First used Maffetts in 1967 when my dad left it very late to book and Blakes had very little left so he tried Hoseasons for the first time. It was run then by retired Lieutenant Colonel Alan Maffett who had established the yard in 1961. The boat was Bondi II, an aft cockpit four berth cruiser. Do not know her history but did look very similar to offerings from Astons. In 1967 turnover day on the river was dominated by the all varnished fleet of Princess Cruisers. The other yards were much smaller. Hoseasons had Aston Boats (if your down that way it was is where Bill Maxted's old Riverine boats are), Gale cruisers, next to Maffetts and Worsley Craft who's yard is still there. Bradbeer had two yards, Mistral and Brookes, both opposite the basin and now residential.

The second time it was my time to leave it late booking. Maffets had just changed agency and now marketed through Blakes and I managed to book Flamingo for my son and I. She was the sister to Swallow but had a twin cabin instead of Swallows double which was perfect.

The third time was on Swallow with my partner. I had been using Jimmy Pearson for years  and was at a loss to find a good yard when he retired. Swallow was almost perfect, full of character, well presented and a lovely yard to deal with but we found her a little short on storage for a fortnight. We were going to book Kingfisher, a bounty DC30 with wooden superstructure  for the next year but it had been sold and we ended up booking Brinks Omega.

Will be interesting to see what the future brings, as we cruised past they had a digger removing vegetation on the border with Gale Cruisers (which has been owned by Maffetts for many years) and is very much caravan orientated and I presume John will continue his diving work.

Fred 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The Broads Boating Company have had a very good first year, if their regular Facebook posts are anything to go by. I'm pleased for them, considering how sad I was a year ago when Horizon finished. 

Compered with most other yards their end of season presentation was good and have noted that the staff look very attentive and friendly. I like the understated livery but they need to just do something to make them stand out a bit more. Maybe a pennant on the superstructure sides or a little addition to the livery. I remember Hearts operating a class of the ubiquitous Caribbeans. They simply added a red stripe and Heart's flag to the standard blue superstructure. Made all the difference and you knew immediately which boatyard they came from.

Fred

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trambo said:

First used Maffetts in 1967 when my dad left it very late to book and Blakes had very little left so he tried Hoseasons for the first time. It was run then by retired Lieutenant Colonel Alan Maffett who had established the yard in 1961. The boat was Bondi II, an aft cockpit four berth cruiser. Do not know her history but did look very similar to offerings from Astons. In 1967 turnover day on the river was dominated by the all varnished fleet of Princess Cruisers. The other yards were much smaller. Hoseasons had Aston Boats (if your down that way it was is where Bill Maxted's old Riverine boats are), Gale cruisers, next to Maffetts and Worsley Craft who's yard is still there. Bradbeer had two yards, Mistral and Brookes, both opposite the basin and now residential.

The second time it was my time to leave it late booking. Maffets had just changed agency and now marketed through Blakes and I managed to book Flamingo for my son and I. She was the sister to Swallow but had a twin cabin instead of Swallows double which was perfect.

The third time was on Swallow with my partner. I had been using Jimmy Pearson for years  and was at a loss to find a good yard when he retired. Swallow was almost perfect, full of character, well presented and a lovely yard to deal with but we found her a little short on storage for a fortnight. We were going to book Kingfisher, a bounty DC30 with wooden superstructure  for the next year but it had been sold and we ended up booking Brinks Omega.

Will be interesting to see what the future brings, as we cruised past they had a digger removing vegetation on the border with Gale Cruisers (which has been owned by Maffetts for many years) and is very much caravan orientated and I presume John will continue his diving work.

Fred 

Fred, I remember Astons in the basin, and I'm aware Princess Cruisers preceded them there. Are you saying Astons were on the opposite side before they were on the basin?

So Pacific become the last hire operators from what was once a busy little area. I have happy memories from my teenage years of holidays with Astons and Mistral Craft (in 1986, their final year). I also remember Gale Cruisers, Walklin Cruisers and Greenway Marine. 

12 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Fred, I remember Astons in the basin, and I'm aware Princess Cruisers preceded them there. Are you saying Astons were on the opposite side before they were on the basin?

So Pacific become the last hire operators from what was once a busy little area. I have happy memories from my teenage years of holidays with Astons and Mistral Craft (in 1986, their final year). I also remember Gale Cruisers, Walklin Cruisers and Greenway Marine. 

I believe the Princess basin was dug in 1958 and they started hiring in 1959, Aston Boats was founded as F.C.Aston in 1959 and their yard was on the river and situated where the old Broadland Riverine Cruisers are now on blocks. Aston's had a fleet of rather traditional fleet of aft cockpit cruisers and their names were not proceeded by the name Aston until the yard became Aston Boats the mid 60s. What the connection between Aston Boats and Princess Cruisers was I do not know. Was it a takeover, did Princess buy the old Aston yard and by the mid 60s were they the same company? When Aston started operating from the basin in 1968 they retained the old yard although from memory only and I can not substantiate it, I believe Cruiser Craft operated from there when their Beccles yard stopped operating. 

I remember the three yards you mention very well. Greenway boats can still be seen around in hire both on the Broads and Thames. I think the last Gale Cruiser in hire is Silverline's Silver Whisper. Walkin had a super, rather non standard fleet but really well presented. Was it 1986 when Mistral stopped, how time flies!

As you say that leaves sadly just Pacific Cruisers with a hire fleet on the Chet.

Fred

• Like 2