Longshore Herrings.

JennyMorgan

It's that time of the year when longshore herrings are available in the Broads area, especially near to the coast. Three makes a good helping, best served with buttered 'tiger'bread. Buy fresh so expect to have to gut them but leave the heads on, crisply fried herring eyes are delicious! Lightly floured, into hot oil until the skin is nicely browned and the gills curl up and go crisp. If you are lucky then when you gut the fish you'll find the milts, fried to a crisp these are gorgeous! Good cooked on a barbecue too.  Have a bottle of real vinegar on hand, some folk also like black pepper. Cooking at home then best do it in the garage, saves stinking the house out!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Certainly would although I tend to use a small BBQ on the bank. They taste even better out in the open. Some get used as deadbaits for pike though

You would be smelling of herring for months cooked onboard:default_eusa_dance: BBQ on the bank sounds good  

I still think fresh mackerel on the BBQ or if your brave try them sushi style, just minutes out of the sea. You will be surprised. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Is a Herring any different to a Sardine, or are they the same?

Sardines in Portimao... delicious.

Sardines and herrings belong to the samefamily of fish. You may hear it referred to as the herring family, but their scientific name is Clupeidae. Fully grown sardines and herringshave a milder flavor than their canned counterparts.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

You would be smelling of herring for months cooked onboard:default_eusa_dance: BBQ on the bank sounds good  

I still think fresh mackerel on the BBQ or if your brave try them sushi style, just minutes out of the sea. You will be surprised. 

I've eat raw joey mackerel served with lemon before now and they have been surprisingly good. 

Tried ultra fresh herring just once but the blessed things kept jumping off the fork :10_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We used to get delicious herrings fried in oatmeal when I lived in Scotland many years ago.  Sashimi mackerel was one of the great treats when boat fishing in the channel. Fresh mackerel slashed gown the flanks, rubbed with oil, salt, grated orange zest and garlic, then barbecued on the beach on a warm summer evening is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Daddy Mouse said:

Fresh soft herrings roe the best taste ever, grilled on toast. 

When we had the Dog & Pheasant, one of the local fishermen, used to bring us in a bucket of really fresh  milts straight from the fish, as the person they supplied wanted them removed. We then dished them up as free bar snacks. The regulars loved them. He also brought in fresh from the trawl sprat's, that again the wench lightly floured and deep fried, as bar snacks. At other times, he would bring in fresh live whelks, that she cooked up Essex stile as bar snacks. They were never on the bar very long, young fresh whelks cooked in the old Style of coastal Essex. If you want to know how its done ask the Wench.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Roll-mop herrings for breakfast in the Dorint Hotel near Schiphol were our particular favourite after a night flying around Europe. 

Washed down with a few glasses of Deutscher Sekt!    :default_beerchug:

I agree there mate, but Southern North Sea herrings sadly are just to oily, a mate of ours used to get Scottish herrings in to pickle. The local fishermen to import rollmops from I think Norway.

:default_beerchug:

Speaking of old fish I'm sure JM will also remember the shop opposite Yarmouth pier that would post a pair of bloaters to anywhere in the country. An aunt and uncle had a caravan at North Dens and always sent a box to us when they were up - ambrosia! 

3 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Speaking of old fish I'm sure JM will also remember the shop opposite Yarmouth pier that would post a pair of bloaters to anywhere in the country. An aunt and uncle had a caravan at North Dens and always sent a box to us when they were up - ambrosia! 

I do indeed remember them! Coincidentally we had bloaters from The Lowestoft Smokehouse the other day, very acceptable they were too.

15 minutes ago, DaveRolaves said:

Plenty of Herring to be caught off Southwold and all along the Suffolk and Norfolk coast at present, they arrived late October and will be around until March 18. Dave R.....

Yes but herring quota for East Anglia and the Thames Estuary will be filled long before March 18, sprat's that will arrive around Christmas / new year don't get a quota on them mind.

Charlie