Dumplings Cooking On The Corsicon Part 36

CheshireCat

Another specialty,   thank  you.   I  make a stew at home in the slow cooker and freeze it , also I make the dumplings at the same time and freeze them uncooked ready to go in the stew.    They come out fine.   A lovely warming meal on a cold evening on a boat.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VetChugger said:

I love dumplings all ways and often make them using this method. My other favourite method is in  casserole in the oven. After they have been in for 20 minutes I "dunk" them in the casserole then leave the lid off for five minutes. They end up with a lovely crispy top!

They sure do I do it my self sometimes ...

well the stew is in the slow cooker (been there for 1 1/2 hours so far, 5 hours to go. I got some frying steak which was cubed up for the pot, carrots turnip, onions and a couple of potatoes were cubed up and added, plus a couple of stock cubes.

off to the shops next and suet and self raising flour purchased, now my only concern is if there is space for the dumplings, I do have a plan B, half of the stew may be transferred into a second slow cooker later which should make room for the dumplings. more later once I have added dumplings. 

IMG_7908.JPG

• Haha 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:20, grendel said:

and my grateful thanks go to Geoffery, the dumplings came out beautifully, and both my daughter and I liked them. it was certainly a change from stew and mash.

IMG_7913.JPG

Looks lovely I could just eat a plate of that , glad you and your family enjoyed the dumplings sorry it took me so long to reply but been on the boat just back tonight ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got around to trying this recipe today. I made the dumplings per the recipe, but using vegetarian suet and added 3/4 teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme as well as the salt and pepper. We cooked them in a stew that had been done in the pressure cooker. I had intended to simply use the cooker's lid to keep the steam in, but forgot that our cooker has the pressure valve built into the lid so inadvertently ended up pressure cooking the dumplings - dohhhh!!!!!!!! 

We let the pressure down and opened the lid with trepidation, to find that we had perfectly cooked, light and fluffy dumplings that had grown to around 3 x their uncooked size. The addition of the herbs made them a perfect accompaniment to the stew. Just the thing for a cold, wet and windy day like today.   Kudos Geofferey and thanks for a great recipe!

PS  Neither Mrs O nor me have been able to make dumplings as good as these before.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SteveO said:

We finally got around to trying this recipe today. I made the dumplings per the recipe, but using vegetarian suet and added 3/4 teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme as well as the salt and pepper. We cooked them in a stew that had been done in the pressure cooker. I had intended to simply use the cooker's lid to keep the steam in, but forgot that our cooker has the pressure valve built into the lid so inadvertently ended up pressure cooking the dumplings - dohhhh!!!!!!!! 

We let the pressure down and opened the lid with trepidation, to find that we had perfectly cooked, light and fluffy dumplings that had grown to around 3 x their uncooked size. The addition of the herbs made them a perfect accompaniment to the stew. Just the thing for a cold, wet and windy day like today.   Kudos Geofferey and thanks for a great recipe!

PS  Neither Mrs O nor me have been able to make dumplings as good as these before.

Great stuff Steve I am so glad that you tried them as I said in the video they are really quite easy as long as you follow the simple step , I was on The Corsican at the weekend and I to made them but with mice onions roast potato's and cabbage fantastic . hope you try some of the other recipes Steve all the very best ...