Expected Flood Warning

Guest KeithC

Hi All

The Environment Agency have just stated that a Flood Warning for the Broads and low lying areas of Norfolk down as far as Lowestoft is expected later this afternoon. It is as a result of high winds[force 8} and high tides.

Keep safe everyone.

Keith

Norfolk :(:(

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very Windy here In the High Peak, the winds are blowing down from the North now, and we had a torrential wintery downpour this afternoon with some sleet in it, very cold indeed, but we are one of the highest altitudes in England, and tend to be the first get the bad winter weather. The clouds are speeding by in the sky heading down towards the South/South East by the Weather Cockril on the garage. :o

Julz :wave

This has just been on the nationwide 7pm Channel 4 news, with a Severe Flood warning and reporting of some evacuations around the Lowestoft Area. It reported that all the key factors that were present during 1953, are present tonight, but then stated that we now have better flood defences. Then went on to say that the greatest times for danger is between 8am and 9am tomorrow morning. It asks people to watch and wait and keep their radio/TV on, and follow the instructions of any recomendations given without question. The London Flood barriers will be closed tonight, as will the flood defenses for Rotterdam, where the port has now been closed.

Good Luck people, I will keep fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you, I just hope that it passes without any severe damage to Life or property .

The Tidal surge is expected to be 6ft above normal High water at GT Yarmouth, the emergency services are out delivering sandbags and evacuating those who wish to move to local authority Reception Centres away from the flood risk areas. :(

Some good film footage of Breydon water and the bridge by Night that was used as a backdrop to the reporter. ;)

Hi,

To coin a phrase we are used to hearing!!

You were 'Spot On' Dick and thanks for the warning, although there is little we can do to stop what is about to happen.

Authorities for Great Yarmouth have put out a warning tonight for people to evacuate homes in low lying areas.

Fairly serious stuff...let's hope it's not as bad as predicted, a storm surge of 6feet above normal will cause huge flooding.

Can someone turn the wind around??

Clive.

Yes Dick, a big Thankyou from me too, although we dont live in the area at risk, my Brother and some other family members live a bit further down the coast, where the flooding may be at its worst in the Morning :o:norty:

I will also warn those that are risk that it is going to get colder over the weekend. If you rely on electricity for heat, even the pump on central heating, to make arrangements for alternative heating NOW and not after the event, power supplies likely to be affected. Stay warm. Stock up on fresh water too.

Rgs Dick

I will also warn those that are risk that it is going to get colder over the weekend. If you rely on electricity for heat, even the pump on central heating, to make arrangements for alternative heating NOW and not after the event, power supplies likely to be affected. Stay warm. Stock up on fresh water too.

Rgs Dick

Sounds like it's time to hibernate.

Keith

Norfolk two guns

bl***dy hell, this is becoming scarey !!!

if it's 6ft in yarmouth what can you expect in places

like wroxham, stalham or potter. :?:?

alan

The environment agency are showing the whole Yare upto Norwich;The Ant upto Dilham and the Bure upto Wroxham .All on SEVERE ALERT.

Keith

Norfolk :shocked

im in norwich so if anyone has problems that i can help with

you are welcome to PM me

jill

Well done Jill.

That's just the sort of spirit that makes this forum so great.

Keith

Norfolk :bow:Stinky

Dick, just to be clear, is that 1.2 above datum, or 1.2 above harmonic prediction at the time you quoted? just to give me a realistic picture of what may be happening to our boat.