Expected Flood Warning

Guest KeithC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay safe People, I Just cannot believe some of the TV pics I have seen this morning, people standing on/in areas and walls that could well give way and be breached :o

Yarmouth has been evacuated in many areas, most businesses will be closed today, yet people are going back in just to take a look :roll:

Just to add, as im sure most will realise, the flood water will contain sewerage from the flooded drains, so its very important to follow strict hand washing routines before eating and drinking if you have been in contact with the flood water, or have handled things on your boat/moorings ect that have.

Julz :wave

At 8.00 this morning the river Thurne is two inches off its highest ever level and High Water isn't expected until 11.30. I suspect tonight's high tide will be the tester.

Potter Bridge clearance at the moment id 5' 1"

Expilot,

How are levels on the plots? We are coming up tonight - supposedly to do some maintenance on Ellesmere. Not looking forward to the walk up the riverbank from Potter :o

Chaos on the Acle roundabout as the straight is still closed.

Water levels at Acle bridge have not peaked yet, but virtually over the bank on the pub moorings already. Expect brundell postwick etc will be at some risk in the next hour or so.

Keep everything crossed boys and girls

Looks like its now peaked at GT Yarmouth, and thank goodness it wasnt as bad as first feared, although bad enough, and obviously some further flooding upstream may still occur later, but looks like the worst is now over, some roads across the bridges have now been opened to local traffic, the winds are still strong and theres still some heavy rain and sleet blowing, making very unpleasent conditions outdoors.

I just hope all the water gets away quickly now :)

Main bridge in Lowestoft now closed to traffic, heavy seas only just being kept back by the sea defences, winds continuing from the North over the weekend, but forcast to be easing in strength, although bringing down very cold weather down from the Arctic.

Anyone know if the Fish Barriers have been lowered at Herbert Woods yard to form a fish refuge?

With the ammount of Sea water flooding into the rivers the salinity level is bound to rise and affect the fish populations, the stocks were only just starting to recover from last year, and now many more fish lives may be lost :(

Flood barrier has been raised at the entrance to Herbert Woods boatyard, Potter Heigham. No Entry signs up and new barriers have been installed. Boats going out on hire this weekend have been moved out of the basin in readiness.

Theres also a second fish barrier on the Broads, but im not sure where, Catfield Dyke maybe?

if it gets used by the fish like last year, the Fire Brigade had to pump oxygen into the water at pressure to airate it, so many fish were packed into such a small volume of Water, they were at risk of suffocation. :shocked

thanks springsong the quay heading might be hire there than other yard DOH!!

from what i hear from this thread and members its bad but could of been worse hope everybody is OK good luck ppl.

Water is getting away from the looks of some of the webcams but against astronomical predications it is still high.

See Lowestoft tide gauge

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/sadata_tgi_n ... oft&span=1

Wind is still 6-7 so this could hold things back and mean another concerned night. It should not be as bad as this morning as the surge has pushed through but high water will remain until the wind dies.

Guest tjoiner

Anyone got an update on Horning - I'm heading up there this evening to check that everything's OK. I notice that the webcam at Southgates is no longer operating - that used to be my 'quick check'.

Any info gratefully received.

TJ