Expected Flood Warning

Guest KeithC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the event is over. I do have a couple of questions regarding the authorities.

1.- Why did they not react MUCH earlier, only issuing a warning 18 hours before the event?

2.- Why did they get the surge height wrong, a 3 Meter surge quoted?

Well I'm off to catch up with Antarctic events now (my pet) as the summer melt is well and truly underway down there. The Western Antarctic Ice Shelf is looking very near to collapse in my view, very worrying times. Forget about rising sea levels from the Arctic melting, it is sea ice and will NOT raise sea levels (Look up Archimedes Law for reasons why). The land based ice will though, the Antarctic is a massive continent (land) and is another matter altogether.

I will still be visiting BOTH forums to stay in touch with things. Any other future events, I will try to give an advanced warning again.

If you want to see the Antarctic in near real time by satellite try the following link, warning! the pictures are large files and a broadband connection is really needed.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/2007261/

Rgs. Dick

Baz

you really dont have to worry, Dave is on the ball at broadsedge ,ive known him to go and check boats on a christmas day when the weather as been bad ,only this time he's more boats to get round ,but dont worry as he does

I think a lot of the yards are good like that. I checked our ropes at 0400 and again at 0730 and someone from the yard had been round and loosened them in the intervening period (0600 as I later found out). The yard owner came along twice around lunch time checking on ropes, checking on the quay heading and trying to determine why the shorepower had gone off when all the boxes were well out of the water.

Dick,

What was the Actual Surge Height ?

Now the event is over. I do have a couple of questions regarding the authorities.

1.- Why did they not react MUCH earlier, only issuing a warning 18 hours before the event?

2.- Why did they get the surge height wrong, a 3 Meter surge quoted?

Well I'm off to catch up with Antarctic events now (my pet) as the summer melt is well and truly underway down there. The Western Antarctic Ice Shelf is looking very near to collapse in my view, very worrying times. Forget about rising sea levels from the Arctic melting, it is sea ice and will NOT raise sea levels (Look up Archimedes Law for reasons why). The land based ice will though, the Antarctic is a massive continent (land) and is another matter altogether.

I will still be visiting BOTH forums to stay in touch with things. Any other future events, I will try to give an advanced warning again.

If you want to see the Antarctic in near real time by satellite try the following link, warning! the pictures are large files and a broadband connection is really needed.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/2007261/

Rgs. Dick

Hi Brian,

The Actual surge height that affected the Broads was in fact 1.8 meters. The timing of the surge did not quite line up with high tide, so this moderated the height a little.

I am still concerned though that the authorities could not do a better job than they did. As usual I suppose any criticism /questions over their performance will be swept under the carpet with a tirade of politicised nonsense, never giving a direct answer to a direct question and going off on a tangent, changing the subject, basically fudging the issue.

Rgs. Dick

I was watching Anglia tonight lastnight and was watching the the VT of the floods and the first bridge you go under at GY going to braydon the water lever was at the red arrows now that shows you how high it went only way your going through is if you have a SUB!!