Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • calender payment

    Calendar Paymene

    Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I'll be going on my first solo cruise in march probably with Richardson's,does anyone know of any other boatyards that allow solo cruising ? Also I've got my eye on a few boats courtesy of the captains blog who is a connoisseur at solo cruising on the broads but i just wondered if any of you could recommend a boat that is more suited to the solo cruiser, cheers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your first post since joining the forum.

I am sure someone will be along soon with some information for you.

Regards

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, seanguest said:

Hi everyone, I'll be going on my first solo cruise in march probably with Richardson's,does anyone know of any other boatyards that allow solo cruising ? Also I've got my eye on a few boats courtesy of the captains blog who is a connoisseur at solo cruising on the broads but i just wondered if any of you could recommend a boat that is more suited to the solo cruiser, cheers ?

Hi there. I've hired solo several times, including twice on Broadland Wave 2 from Richardsons, most recently in May 2017. It's a breeze to handle and very manageable, even if the decks are slightly high. Have a look at my write up in the Holiday Tales section and my review in the Hire boat section. Richardsons are top people - next year I have Symphony solo and 2 other hires with a 'crew'. 

Elsewhere, I know Freedom are happy with solos and I think Silverline are if you book direct. I know Herbert Woods and NBD both insist on 2 people, which is bizarre given a solo experienced hirer is less risk than a pair of novices. 

I assume you have boating experience as Richardsons and the others insist on that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I assume you have boating experience as Richardsons and the others insist on that.

that's the one thing that puts me off solo cruising - I don't have a great deal of boating experience, maybe we should start a thread for people who want to go boating but need the experience, to buddy up and boat share a hire boat to gain that experience and confidence to go solo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I'm a confident boater & have plenty of experience, I usually end up mooring the boat up myself even when others are aboard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, seanguest said:

I usually end up mooring the boat up myself even when others are aboard.

Snap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several times this year I saw Silver Melody being single handed. Being an aft-cockpit cruiser it does look well suited to the solo helmsman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome along Sean. There's a chap called Russell Thomson who is also blogging his adventures solo cruising on YouTube. He has hired two forward steer cruisers from Richardson's this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey and welcome here - you can hire through Barnes Brinkcraft who let out to solo helms, it will be a no no from Herbert Woods and Faircraft Loynes but not sure about Horning Ferry Marina, or even the new Broads Boating Co. at Acle.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite often cruise solo, on a centre cockpit boat.iIt just needs a bit more planning with ropes drinks snacks etc.  If I need the loo I just nose into the reeds.  

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, grendel said:

that's the one thing that puts me off solo cruising - I don't have a great deal of boating experience, maybe we should start a thread for people who want to go boating but need the experience, to buddy up and boat share a hire boat to gain that experience and confidence to go solo.

Great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I quite often cruise solo, on a centre cockpit boat.iIt just needs a bit more planning with ropes drinks snacks etc.  If I need the loo I just nose into the reeds.  

Doug

Nose into the reeds...i just planned on filling the empty wine bottles lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Please remember whilst solo cruising the use of your life saver is even more essential 

Good point, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I entirely like my own company enough to solo hire, though a bit of me does fancy it. Good preparation and knowing your limits are vital I would think. As stated , life jacket at all times is a must, I would imagine that is why some yards don't hire solo, more to do with personal safety than a worry about the boat. I'm sure they lose more sleep when they see a crowd of young uns leaving the yard!! 

Good luck, look forward to hearing all about it, maybe one day I will pluck up the courage!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, seanguest said:

Yes I'm a confident boater & have plenty of experience, I usually end up mooring the boat up myself even when others are aboard.

Hi and a very warm welcome from me and Yes i also do 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, andy said:

Hi and a very warm welcome from me and Yes i also do 

I don't know about you but i find it easier mooring up on my own as opposed to doing it with 2 others that just don't get it however many times you try learning them:default_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own and solo cruise an Elysian Bounty AF27.  Very easy boat to use and Richardsons have several available to hire. Will also go under Potter Heigham bridge as often as not. (with a pilot if you are hiring) FO_CIC_July_2013-06.thumb.jpg.9b96482e1bda317309ab5af091f6bdab.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:09, seanguest said:

Nose into the reeds...i just planned on filling the empty wine bottles lol

Can I suggest you only buy red wine to drink then....wouldn't want any, errrrrr, mishaps,:410_cocktail: if you see what I mean!!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Can I suggest you only buy red wine to drink then....wouldn't want any, errrrrr, mishaps,:410_cocktail: if you see what I mean!!

That reminds me of a joke,here goes.

A wine taster went into a bar and asks the bartender for a fifty year old glass of red wine. The bartender pours him a drink, the man drinks it and immediately spits it out, and yells “This is a 43 year old red wine! I asked for a 50”

A few people at the bar applaud him for his knowledge. He wipes his lip and says “Its ok. Just give me a 35 year old glass of white wine” 

The bartender serves him again, the man tries it, and cannot bring himself to swallow the drink. Furious he yells at the bartender “This is not a 35 year old wine, its only 27 years old”

Once again the people at the bar applaud his great taste. He then asks for a simple seven year old beer. The bar tender gives him a can and he says “Its not exactly seven years but not bad.”

When he’s done with the drink the bartender comes back and says “Some guy at the other end of the bar told me he wanted to get you a drink”

He thanks the man and raises his glass to him, and takes a sip. Disgusted he screams “God this tastes like water!” To which the guy at the end of the bar jumps up and asks “How old am ?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sean

A very warm welcome aboard the forum from me :default_icon_wave: I so hope you make your fifty posts, we could do with you in the full members jokes section :default_norty:

Grace

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.