Bilge Pump Filters - Mandatory?

I saw elsewhere someone talking about oil from boats getting into the water.

When I had a BSS test done earlier this year on the Broads I had to have a filter fitted to my bilge pump outlet. I think this is a very good idea personally. To be fair I did also have the option of removing the bilge pump but that felt like a terrible option.

When I’ve had BSS’s done in the past (not on the Broads) I haven’t needed a filter on the bilge pump.

So is it a Broads thing? A new thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it might depend whether you have an oil drip tray under your engine as well, I suspect the requirement is for some means of oil containment should you get a leak. retro fitting a drip tray would be more difficult than a filter I guess.

Just guessing here as I dont really know, some better informed people will be along later to provide accurate information.

• Like 2

On Ranworth Breeze the moulding under the engine provides an inbuilt drip tray, it would take abut two feet of water in the bilges to get up above this level, it was taken into consideration in the BSS inspection we had in September so as above this must be new.
Regards
Alan 

Mine was pre September so maybe the drip tray is enough.
I think I have a link to the latest rules so I’ll see if I can find the wording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to have a filter fitted on my old boat - 7 yrs ago as the engine didn't have a separate compartment and would have dripped into the bilge if I'd had a leak.  

Current boat has its own separate engine compartment and what is really its own floor rather than drip tray so not needed. 

To be honest I think they are a good idea. 

It's not a new requirement, or certainly it's been part of the checks since at least the 2013 version were introduced (which were the ones I trained on).

As Grendel said, it's one way to achieve compliance, the others are to have either a drip tray large enough to contain all of the oil in the engine under the engine or to have the area under the engine isolated from the rest of the bilges, and not have a bilge pump in that area.

• Like 1

We have never been instructed to fit a bilge filter, which I am relieved about seeing as we have 2 x bilge pumps that can be left on auto or switched on manually and a further two that we have no control over that are set via float switches.  That's four in total.  The drip tray under 'B.A's engine / gearbox will easily hold the entrire oil contents of both with plenty of room to spare, I'm hoping that's why bilge filters have never been mentioned by any BSS examiner

Griff

• Like 1

The filter makes an automatic bilge pump that is potentially able to discharge oil BSS compliant.

It's great in theory and i have fitted them to satisfy the requirement,  however depending on just how oily/grimey the bilge the filter can soon be blocked making the auto pump useless.  I have seen a bilge pump fail due to running for a unknown period of time with the batteries sustained with a battery charger, thankfully only a failed pump and not a sunk boat.

I shall not name and shame but I have also found (twice) empty filter bodies in the pipeline, looks like a filter but does not block up so fast!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

The filter makes an automatic bilge pump that is potentially able to discharge oil BSS compliant.

If I read that right it's another really well thought through "ruling'.!

An auto bilge pump can keep bilge water low enough not to flood the under engine tray, where a purely manual one will let the bilge water flood the tray only to be pumped out by the boater (with any oil) into the river. 

As almost all bilge pumps on Broads boats are of the electric submersible type, it is a simple matter to fit the float switch on a block or bracket a few inches higher than the pump. 

That way, the pump will cut off before any oil floating on the surface of the bilge water, can be pumped into the river.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

As almost all bilge pumps on Broads boats are of the electric submersible type, it is a simple matter to fit the float switch on a block or bracket a few inches higher than the pump. 

That way, the pump will cut off before any oil floating on the surface of the bilge water, can be pumped into the river.

Until the oil covered float switch fails, pesky things dont like oil.  The water sensor switches also do not like a dirty bilge (who does?!!), when covered in oil/bilge slime the sensor is unable to detect the dry bilge and continues to run the pump.    

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lubetech-15ltr-oil-spill-kit/99764

Is there a link to the pump filters you talk about is it on the outlets? For me as an enviromental auditor to pass ISO standards it's all about good practice, so putting oil pads in the tray under the engine but then put oil snakes round the route to the  pump so water gets to the pump but oil would be soaked up plus it would stop other cr&p getting in the pump.

I wouldn't be happy walking away from your boat asking for a filter to be installed on the device there to save your boat. Filter are there to catch so could block up reducing flow rate.

The spill kits available are under £50 for various items to store incase of leak on your boats.

If I had a boat I'd have a pad with a hole cut in it to put down when fueling to catch diesel from dripping on deck - slip hazard.

Siddy - have a Google for 'Wavestream  bilge filter' and you should find it. We've had one on No Worries for 6 years,you do have to keep on top of filter changes, I made the mistake of buying the smallest size (element about the size of a small tin of beans)  and put a new element on yearly. Never had the slightest 'slick' and passed two BSSs with it. 

The water repelling oil absorbent mats go a long way to keeping the two apart, they usually hold a heck of a lot of oil and float on top of the water so it's ok to discharge and if theres enough water to sink a boat the whole engine full of oil ends up in the river anyway along with the contents of the fuel tanks.

I've only ever had twins with bilge pumps so the middle of the engine bay is separate from where the bilge pump is anyway but always use the mats under the engines, or 'engine nappies' as I call them.

Well I've just read the BSS from the link above, A few section were written in double dutch (can we say that these days) but it's easy to follow.

At least I can keep up with what you owners are taking about now I've got a copy lol.

Get this for a check I had to do last year round our offices, Ensure all washing up liquid bottles were bunded i.e. in a plastic dish in case it leaked. If it wasn't you had 7 days to sort it and prove to me it was done. The stick I got was unreal.