Best Breakdown/Recovery Service

Hockham Admiral

Hiya John, I have the Boulters breakdown insurance, and have had it for a couple of years now, and luckily haven't had to claim on it. I also have their "diver" insurance as well. The cost as I remember last year was £92 for the breakdown, and a further £29.99 for the Diver. As you say, better prepaired eh.

Baz :Stinky

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was thinking some sort of insurance might be a good idea. Ludham Bridge look like they also have a recovery scheme with the 247 service. If you did not have the service how much does a recovery cost?

I do realise there are many things that will change the cost, distance, when the recovery is and how many people involved, but is it worth the risk?

Ian :Stinky

Hi,

I was thinking some sort of insurance might be a good idea. Ludham Bridge look like they also have a recovery scheme with the 247 service. If you did not have the service how much does a recovery cost?

I do realise there are many things that will change the cost, distance, when the recovery is and how many people involved, but is it worth the risk?

it depends on wether your boat is any good and wether fouled propeller is included, I guess you get what you pay for, it is the same with all insurance I suppose..

Marine breakdown recovery schemes (even on the Broads) often have the caveat that written proof of regular servicing is required in the case of any claims.

Tricky for people that prefer to do their own maintenance, and well worth checking, and getting clarification or agreement in writing....

I keep all receipts of oil, filters, plugs etc., and log the servicing meticulously, but I've never been able to get written confirmation that that would be acceptable for marine breakdown cover.

Hi,

Ian, Hi

Boulters (Horning) do a 24/7 for £125 which is pretty inclusive. Also a propeller cover for another £35 and if you've only one engine I think the extra is well worth while. :clap:clap:clap

http://www.boultermarine.co.uk/Breakdow ... =Breakdown

Boulters have it in their conditions as:

"7) On joining the breakdown and recovery service we require that you have had a full service to your engine. Then proof of servicing on a yearly bases."

Would service parts receipts and a DIY maintenance log be sufficient ?

The fact the service is available creates doubts as to how you would cope with a breakdown.

Thinking about it I will have two engines and a small inflatable with an outboard that has pushed a number of broken down craft over the years. I should be able to cope.

Then again has anyone got a spare quant pole?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Boulters have it in their conditions as:

"7) On joining the breakdown and recovery service we require that you have had a full service to your engine. Then proof of servicing on a yearly bases."

Would service parts receipts and a DIY maintenance log be sufficient ?

Probably NOT Strow, but it also would`nt stop them taking your money, and then telling you you`re not covered when you call them out. A bit synical i know, but i`ve had experience of this in the past, though nothing to do woth boats. It`s very similar to home or car insurance. Covered untill you claim is the line i was told afterwards, yet they still took my money first, and did`nt mention anything about limitations for cover.

Quite right Neil, it's vital to get any form of insurance conditions in writing, regardless of verbal agreements.

My comments are not meant in any way to be a slur on Boulters though, I've had many dealings with them in the past with many different boats, and I have to admit, they are very honest and straightforward people to deal with.

sorry for the fred drift but just noticed Ian's levers and would like to say welcome to the quad club.

You will love them once you get used to them and stop reversing into banks at high speed. :grin:

I noticed the VC10 cockpit layout as well, but didn't want to make a fool of myself, (too late now), is it really twin engines with separate gear and throttle levers ? Nice and smooth and light, but I've always been worried about a "guest" helmsman panicking and shifting from forward to reverse at 3000 rpm.... :shocked

(or is there some other sort of interlock ? )

sorry for the fred drift but just noticed Ian's levers and would like to say welcome to the quad club.

You will love them once you get used to them and stop reversing into banks at high speed. :grin:

I noticed the VC10 cockpit layout as well, but didn't want to make a fool of myself, (too late now), is it really twin engines with separate gear and throttle levers ? Nice and smooth and light, but I've always been worried about a "guest" helmsman panicking and shifting from forward to reverse at 3000 rpm.... :shocked

(or is there some other sort of interlock ? )

Something else now to worry about.....

once you get used to them they are fantastic and most of the time they are no issue but when you first have them and are reversing in to your stern on mooring, nice and slowly at tickover just in gear, when it is time to stop the natural thing to do is to push the two red levers forward.

has the effect of very positive berthing and some odd looking walks. :grin:

Sorry missed the interlock thing.

You can't shift into or out of gears once the throttles are pushed forward so no risk of suddenly dropping into reverse at 30 knots. :o

Aha... that makes them very tempting now (even for my single), when I noticed them many years ago, there was no interlock at all, hence the worry, (and not just with "guest helmsmen" either, I admit to the occasional panic situation myself !) :)

So now just the risk of centering the the throttle when ringing for "all stop" just before the quay heading. :naughty:

Maybe if the throttle lever(s) were much shorter than the gearchange lever(s) that risk might be less ?

It really has given me food for thought though, my problem is 200hp on a single sterndrive in a 23ft boat. It ticks over nicely (in or out of gear) at 600 rpm, which is about 2.5 mph, but if the single lever control nudges another half inch in either direction, then things can get tricky. The Teleflex lever was lousy when I bought the boat, but after stripping and greasing it and adjusting it correctly, it's as smooth as you can get them.

I still like the idea of having an independent fwd/astern lever though, no chance of "blipping" by mistake !

post-669-136713883369_thumb.jpg

When we had a boat on the Thames we joined 'River and Canal Rescue'. Called them out once to a location quite a way from the nearest road and on a Sunday afternoon to boot. Chap arrived within 2 hours, sorted the problem and got us on our way in an hour!

Not sure of the cost these days, but they were very competetive with other breakdown companies.

As previously stated, regular servicing was required to keep the policy valid.

They cover all waterways in the U.K. :wave:wave