An Educated Guess

Can someone give me an 'educated' guesstimate of how many litres per hour my Sealine 310 would use at say 22 knots please.

I have just done a route to have a look up around the seal sands area and it works out at 28.01 nautical miles - At 22 knots this would take 1 hour and 16 minutes but I haven't got a clue as to how many litres an hour the boat would use to do this.

Obviously it depends on sea state etc etc etc, but just a really rough idea would be useful !

Can someone give me an 'educated' guesstimate of how many litres per hour my Sealine 310 would use at say 22 knots please.

I have just done a route to have a look up around the seal sands area and it works out at 28.01 nautical miles - At 22 knots this would take 1 hour and 16 minutes but I haven't got a clue as to how many litres an hour the boat would use to do this.

Obviously it depends on sea state etc etc etc, but just a really rough idea would be useful !

Remember to take your bank manager when you fill up.

Remember to take your bank manager when you fill up.

Oh yes, he's already been advised !!!

My guess is somewhere between 40 and 50 litres per hour. I'm not sure what I base that on to be honest and probably well out......

Latest forecasts are giving 20mph Nnw so it looks very iffy for Saturday as we will be wind against tide by the time we get there, Sunday is roughly the same but may be ok for a run in the morning with wind over tide.

Just have to see on the day.

WOULD EVERYONE WHO READS THIS THREAD AND THE WAYPOINT/ROUTE SHOWN THEREIN PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS CREATED PURELY FOR TESTING THE SOFTWARE. IT IS NOT A RECOMMENDED ROUTE, NOR SHOULD ANYONE ATTEMPT TO FOLLOW IT FOR REAL, AS IT CROSSES SOME AREAS RENOWNED FOR BEING SHALLOW, AND TO DO SO COULD BE VERY HAZARDOUS

Just a thought Luke, any way you could post up the Lon/Lat of your waypoints so I can have a play with my plotter software? I know how it is supposed to work, but haven't tried it yet...!

I bought the Navionics NavPlanner software in the end Mark - its seamless with the chart plotter I've got. For some reason I can't copy and paste anything out of it - all the info is stored on a card which I then take to the boat. Don't know why they have done it that way !!

Anyway, I've printed and scanned it in, then uploaded it - hopefully it has come out good enough for you to read....

Page One:-

post-699-136713675443_thumb.jpg

Page Two:-

post-699-136713675474_thumb.jpg

I've emailed the original to you Mark, which will probably be easier to read.

Ok, so I've now sussed out how to add waypoints and then create a route from them :grin:

What I need I think is some pointers as to the best way to create a route. I can happily click at points to generate a route, but should I be trying to "buoy hop" to get a definitive position fix? One thing I note about the route Luke has created is that there are no waypoints which coincide with fixed known locations (eg buoysm marks etc). This is in no way any criticism, Luke, I just have no idea of the best way to plan a route :oops:

If there are buoys then they are a confirmation but make sure you give them searoom and never use them as a waypoint. If not then other sightings and deth contours can be used, also radar for distance and coastal landmarks. Plus a quick tick off on your paper charts with a chinograph.

In my experience from years ago on the F33 going to Holland, I always always used physical objects for the route Mark - two reasons, 1) so I knew exactly where I was and 2) to make sure the nav kit was working properly !!

You are absolutely right, always use what you can for your route - the only reason I didn't on that one was its local and always within sight of land (and I know where I am around here !)

I have done another route which covers the area just outside my house to make sure everything lines up ok and if I get a chance will test it tomorrow...

If there are buoys then they are a confirmation but make sure you give them searoom and never use them as a waypoint. If not then other sightings and deth contours can be used, also radar for distance and coastal landmarks. Plus a quick tick off on your paper charts with a chinograph.

Especially if you have auto steer turned on !! lol !!!

Mark try to pick out buoys, cardinals etc that you can spot by eye or binoculars no need to go too close.

and try to be minimalist with waypionts to make transfer to your paper charts easier.

Jonathan

Thanks for the help. So do you peeps tend to plan the route on the plotter, then transfer the waypoints and route to the paper charts as a backup, or the other way around?

I presume you would then print out a passage plan from the plotter to give you the course to steer to each subsequent waypoint?

Luke...

firstly, the answer to the fuel question is simply "LOTS"!!

We reckon we were using about 50-60 litres an hour on jupes and expect it to be 60-70 on the "bling".

Mark...in terms of passage planning, although my knowledge is a little limited, I was taught to use the map...er sorry...Chart first and GPS second.

I have planned a route so far to Scroby on paper, but not yet planned a route back as I want to know what everyone elses intentions are on the return (ie back through yarmouth or back to lowestoft.)

I have only just today received my CMap card for my plotter, and will attempt to put a similar route on the plotter to what I have on the paper version.

LB :pirate

Luke...

firstly, the answer to the fuel question is simply "LOTS"!!

We reckon we were using about 50-60 litres an hour on jupes and expect it to be 60-70 on the "bling".

Mark...in terms of passage planning, although my knowledge is a little limited, I was taught to use the map...er sorry...Chart first and GPS second.

I have planned a route so far to Scroby on paper, but not yet planned a route back as I want to know what everyone elses intentions are on the return (ie back through yarmouth or back to lowestoft.)

I have only just today received my CMap card for my plotter, and will attempt to put a similar route on the plotter to what I have on the paper version.

LB :pirate

We are planing back to Lowestoft with pos Sun/Mon night in RNSYC.

Jonathan :Stinky

Have you got local knowledge of the waters around Yarmouth and the island Luke.

No !! AND certainly not to the extent for others to follow !!

The waypoints I set was just a practice really to see if the new software I bought to use on my PC works properly when transfered to the chartplotter and also to see expected fuel usage, hense why I have done one just around OB to make sure it works for tomorrow. I haven't even as yet got an offshore chart (ordered, and should be here tomorrow) so please please, no-one take what I've put down and use it without studying and satisfying yourself that you are happy with it (I wouldn't be, it only took me two minutes !!)

In answer to your question Mark, I also was taught to map (chart) plan on paper your route, then transfer it to the plotter.