Freebies @ British Gas

Siddy

For what British Gas charge in comparison to other suppliers they afford to give stuff, and more, away! We changed from British Gas two years ago and I'm already at least £600.00 in pocket. (Thanks due to Martin Lewis).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=21-Nov-17-6753&utm_campaign=nt-headerlogo&utm_content=1

• Like 2

Not knowing what one was I just Googled one. I now know what they are and how much in Curry's Black Friday Sale. Like Fred I really wouldn't want one, yet another boy's toy! Time switches might be so 20th century but they suit this old codger and they don't suffer from signal black-spots or flat batteries.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

For what British Gas charge in comparison to other suppliers they afford to give stuff, and more, away! We changed from British Gas two years ago and I'm already at least £600.00 in pocket. (Thanks due to Martin Lewis).

That's a saving was that dual fuel, i'm paying £80 a month for both gas & elec. I've got a HP Microserver & a Pi running 24/7 besides rest of electrical stuff on standby. My gas should also drop next week when I put the correct size rads in the room and passage. Then I can upgrade the heating controls to zoning so each room has time/set points so if I'm working from home the only rad calling for heat will be my den/office etc and not keeping the whole house heating running.

It's the water meter that I wish would be removed or I could fit a timer to stop the shower to get me out of it.

13 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Mine is a dual fuel tariff, £91.00 per month heats and lights my whole house. £132 with BG, now with Ovo. That's £500 a year! Sorry BG, better in my pocket.

Another vote for ovo here, saved me a fortune 

Siddy

Each to their own ours is a home and as such we keep the house warm we don't hibernate in one room and Rad stats do the necessary, while the boiler is running it makes very little difference how many rads are on compared to warming the place up from cold, I still don't understand how it can be a freebie when it costs £118 and I assume there must be some sort of running cost, like others I got fed up feeding the coffers of BG shareholders my dual tariff is also far cheaper.

Fred

I tried Ovo to see if they could save us anything.  No luck, more than I am paying now.  For us these price comparison websites are a con.  The best deal I could find (coincidentally with the same supplier) for electric only was £96 more than the previous year. 

All the 'good' deals appear to be for dual fuel, which, as there us no gas in our village, rather means we will always dip out. 

For our heating/water we are always at the mercy of 'market forces'. I haven't yet found a way of fixing the prices for heating oil.

Gripe over!  S

Oh and Iresa were even worse!

I just checked ovo as we are on a standard tariff at the moment and we could save a grand total of £50 over the year , so not worth the hassle on the face of it, but it would be fixed for 2 years.

I have a Heatmiser smartstat which is similar to the Hive ones but doesnt do lights or anything, cost £100 quid from ebay, fitted it meself(well, with a bit of help from my Dad), job done. I never know when I'll be home so its lovely to be able to get the place warmed up via smartphone before I get there. No fees or anything, just needs a broadband connection.