Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

I'm very much a fan of a northern bloke- often a mans man, straight talking and decent :default_blush:

Have to also admit, I'm liking the idea that a Yorkshire man can get into difficult spaces and tidy up too. Note to self- I really must get one of my own....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Katiew said:

I'm very much a fan of a northern bloke- often a mans man, straight talking and decent :default_blush:

Have to also admit, I'm liking the idea that a Yorkshire man can get into difficult spaces and tidy up too. Note to self- I really must get one of my own....

There is a lot us northerners can do that the suvvern softies wouldn't dare to even try :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

There is a lot us northerners can do that the suvvern softies wouldn't dare to even try :default_smiley-angelic002:

Crikey :default_blush: I had defo better get one quick- that sounds very impressive and even more tempting that I imagined- worth putting the old suvvern softie out to grass for....

now, all I need to do is source a suitable outlet that has clones of Griff in stock and I’ll be fixed up...... :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Katiew said:

Crikey :default_blush: I had defo better get one quick- that sounds very impressive and even more tempting that I imagined- worth putting the old suvvern softie out to grass for....

now, all I need to do is source a suitable outlet that has clones of Griff in stock and I’ll be fixed up...... :default_biggrin:

You don't need a Griff clone all of use are the same , tidy ,efficient, n very nice folk :default_beerchug:

36 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Why not 'Borrow' the real one for a while ? . . . . . . . . . . . . .   :default_norty:

I doubt she is of an age to have to be settling for a tired old boring boiler yet mate :default_smiley-angelic002:

9 minutes ago, finny said:

Chasing them sheep all over them moors never did any good .....Tha knows :default_biggrin:

finny

Chasing them sheep all over them moors

Is that an alternative to speed dating?

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Why not 'Borrow' the real one for a while ? . . . . . . . . . . . . .   :default_norty:

Griff

Now there's the Carlsberg of suggestions.....(strictly according to the advert, I don't do silly fizzy pop myself....)

37 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Chasing them sheep all over them moors

Is that an alternative to speed dating?

Speed??!! No, I definitely didnt have speed in mind....:11_blush:

• Haha 1

whhaaaaattt? I've a gun dog that could do with a dose of retraining, a boat engine that's due a service, a kitchen floor that needs resealing and no doubt lots of wiring in hard to reach places that could do with a tidy. Oh, and quite a bit of rum that needs a drop of coffee in before consuming.....

That doesn't all happen 'speedily' ......:default_smiley-angelic002:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Katiew said:

whhaaaaattt? I've a gun dog that could do with a dose of retraining, a boat engine that's due a service, a kitchen floor that needs resealing and no doubt lots of wiring in hard to reach places that could do with a tidy. Oh, and quite a bit of rum that needs a drop of coffee in before consuming.....

That doesn't all happen 'speedily' ......:default_smiley-angelic002:

with a list that long I'm not surprised.

On 12/06/2018 at 13:39, High6 said:

Guess it's this one:

at 6:50 in.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Noticed in the film the signpost that was once at the mouth of Oulton Dyke, until some bright-spark decided to half-hitch the wherry weather vane. Back then a number of Broads communities had their own individual signposts, sadly I think that they have now all gone, replaced by 'one-style-fits-all' green & white signboards. Quality of the picture is poor but for me anyway it brings back good memories of trips as toddler with my parents to 'Dirty Di*k's' no stars tea-room at Burgh St Peter. 

Oulton Broad and Beccles signpost.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Katiew said:

Katie, a word of warning though, his taste in both music and jokes ( especially) are a tad unique!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a good while since I last wrote here to update on matters with Indy. But there have been a number of things that have taken place in the past weeks so I thought I would talk about them.

If you were to see her externally, very little has changed - but the real changes have been going on in her engine rooms - which currently also do not look too different, but the invoices that have been coming through tell a different story. Part of my wish before we left Plymouth was to have Indy in as good a conditioned mechanically as possible - for both safety and confidence. Alas, having arrived here in Norfolk it has been found a number of areas had not been taken care of as had previously been thought or that jobs that I had wanted to be done just had not been.

I am so pleased that I decided to use Norfolk Yacht Agency - not because of any recommendation or previous dealings  with them, but just how very professional, honest and thorougher they are. I have made a good friendship with Shaun, who heads up their service team and having being working in boat engineering since he was 16 there is very little he does not know, and very few people he cannot call upon to supply something or clarify something at a moments notice.

They went over the engines with a fine tooth comb with me wanting them to come up with anything that needed doing - even if it could be left, I wanted it changed and renewed now. The per-service survey took a couple of days and resulted in quite the outcome a number of hoses were going need replacing, some wiring needed to be replaced too, a combined total of 44 engine Anodes may be required and that was before we got to the service of the engines with the cooling system being drained and flushed before all new coolant, oil, primary and secondary oil filters, belts, fuel filters you name it was changed. All new impellers were to go in and new gaskets, a number of new fasteners were on the list as was 150Lites of hydraulic oil for the powering of the thrusters.  It would take two men a couple of days labour to complete the overall task.

This has now been done and the engines run like they never have - super silky smooth, very much more responsive and virtually no smoke even on start up. I am pleased to say they still have their lovely deep down growl though.  

I had been put off by the Caterpillar parts costs, and of course people may complain about Volvo Penta parts costing a fair bit too. I can however now report that they have nothing on Yanmar, especially when you are dealing with a commercial grade engine. I had wondered why most Yanmar engines are a metallic grey, but mine are white -- this is because white engines are high performance commercial heavy duty types - able to withstand more continuous duty operation and are usually put in applications where such over engineering is require - e.g. not a leisure boat.  This also means that the parts on these engines cost far more than their lighter weight counterparts.

Just an example - the lagging over the turbo's was past its best, this just corers the turbo charger - so is not that large, yet each of the lagging units comes in at £355.00 . Those anodes -  22 per engine - are £16.00 each and 6 high pressure braided fuel and oil hoses come in at almost £90.00 each. But I want to raise Indy from an ok example of her type to outstanding, and that means everything however small it may be being changed if required.

Now the major mechanical works are over, it is time to move on to the cosmetic element. The engines will be treated to a professional re-spray using several layers of a high gloss, brilliant white enamel paint that is able to withstand high temperatures. The bilges will be cleaned and re-painted too and it would be nice to have the dull aluminum cat walks polished to a deep shine. Meanwhile, externally I will have the boat restored to her original shine, new seating, new canopies and work to the Teak decking too.

Then I can begin on the work of the electrics - all new batteries weighing in at 55kg each and having a capacity of 230ah each and then work to be done on changing her auto-helm and chart plotter to updated versions - oh and I am still waiting to hear from Goodchild's as to if they want to work on lifting her, dressing and balancing her props, supplying and fitting the new anodes to the hull and having the hull compounded and waxed.  After an initial positive response things have now gone a little quiet so it may need to be Brooms who have the capacity to lift her.

I'll share more in time and get some videos up too :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I had been put off by the Caterpillar parts costs, and of course people may complain about Volvo Penta parts costing a fair bit too. I can however now report that they have nothing on Yanmar, especially when you are dealing with a commercial grade engine. I had wondered why most Yanmar engines are a metallic grey, but mine are white -- this is because white engines are high performance commercial heavy duty types - able to withstand more continuous duty operation and are usually put in applications where such over engineering is require - e.g. not a leisure boat.  This also means that the parts on these engines cost far more than their lighter weight counterparts.

Yours look like the"S" rating which equates to Light Duty Commercial.  If Yanmar have different service items for leisure and commercial use no wonder they are so expensive !

Not sure about Yanmar but VP offer the choice of green or white on all engines from D3 to D16 regardless of use so colour is not always an indicator.  Some areas like the USA prefer white engines while other countries are not bothered.