Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

6 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Did you manage to get the prop sorted 

Did not bother. It was not too bad in my opinion and Jason has advised on if need to be done it would be a big job and outside out window of time. If they need replacing that won’t be a Norfolk job and at 30” won’t be cheap either. 

• Like 1

We are back in the wet stuff. All to the good. Alongside a floating pontoon at Haven Marina where we will wait for Mutford Lock at 1400 - if anyone wants a trip form here to Brundall, you are welcome to join us.

Just one issue on starting the engines, the port tacho refused to give a reading. So after we cleared the hoist area and got alongside I disappeared into the engine room (I seem to spend more time in there than anywhere else) a tiny nut that held an electrical connector was missing. Amazingly I found it! So that was an easy fix. Talking of easy fixes, the port trim tab had always been problematic in fully retracting, showing one light on the panel when it should have not. On investigating some Richard Cranium had anti fouled the bottom of the shaft on the ram. Cleaned it off (I did all four for good measure), greased and all to the good.  Another easy fix was the speed log, the wheel was stuck fast, yet again with anti foul, thoroughly cleaned out now spinning freely. This afternoon whilst underway should see it working. The copper earthing plate, again painted, on cleaning it off,  the words ‘Do not paint’ came into view. There are six water intake grills that had been anti fouled to such a degree that the holes / slots were partially blocked. I have cleaned them all out. Had to take my drill to one of them and drill the paint out of the holes. 

Painting over the hole lot is just bad attitude / practice, no care or attention to detail. All Boat Services in Plymouth needs to buck up imho. 

We used ‘Coastal 037’ anti foul then ‘Emporer 034’ for the boot topping from Marine Industrial, same gear we use on ‘B.A’ it performs very well. In the earlier pics you can see how clean Indy came out of the oggin,  the previous anti foul used was 037 too. 

Internally we attended to various other tasks, all completed. I just have to change one 240v socket this afternoon and yes, of course it has to be in my favourite location - the engine room once again :default_biggrin:

Griff

• Like 5

Give us a blast on the horn and if you go to the Bell I might open my wallet.

Ruth and I are in the first cut on the right as you turn up towards St Olaves.

Safe trip anyway, the boat looks amazing in the pics, can't wait to see her pass by.

Colin:default_beerchug:

Just back to the moorings. Thanks for the photos Colin and offer to see us at the pub too. I was keen to get back to the moorings as will be heading home sometime tomorrow. Great photos by the way!

What I really want to do is thank the Forum for your help. Special thanks to Peter, Steve, Paul and Nigel for crewing and helping with fenders and so on. 

I have learnt a lot about Indy over the past few days and it is nice to have given her a new lease of life and really make her stand out. 

Charlie has as ever been the great advisor, helping hand and general all round great friend who kept us on track and motivated to get all we did done in the time we did. 

Loweatoft Haven Marina were great to deal with and have some lovely facilities for DIY boaters and a friendly bunch of people too. They are good value as well. 

There will be a video of the lift out the work we did before and after in due course too!

Due to an issue at Reedham we actually had a train wait for us while we slipped through the bridge. 

3CDB1D00-B30C-4599-A30D-D459E544E672.jpeg

5FBA7FC8-5912-4FFC-8113-31585F438881.jpeg

087031AE-7C77-45C7-94B2-284787EEC029.jpeg

79624088-C4F3-4D18-8B6C-65133E1D0D46.jpeg

1F65B707-BCF9-4126-B7A5-BCDCBA9B98CB.jpeg

459F9AF0-343B-4A17-B026-9A4EF42415C3.jpeg

• Like 10

The earlier engine overheat was caused by an incorrect fitting of a thermostat which was cured way back. It also successfully stopped me from helming a gin palace over Breydon for the second time.

Cleaning out the raw water skin fittings has resulted in both engines running cooler so another big tick

Griff