Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Well yesterday was fun 18 ft swell and 35+ Tks wind once past outer breakwater and the shore lee.  She handled it very well and I was super impressed with her sea keeping capabilities  of course I won’t ever take her out in those conditions intentionally again but it was ideal for testing her out. Today is rib test and draft along with anodes and below the waterline stuff,  top up fuel tanks  plus a bunch of other items. We are doing well with the list, better than I expected but then we are doing Long days and all grafting, Team Indy are doing well

Griff

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well yesterday was fun 18 ft swell and 35+ Tks wind once past outer breakwater and the shore lee.  She handled it very well and I was super impressed with her sea keeping capabilities  of course I won’t ever take her out in those conditions intentionally again but it was ideal for testing her out. Today is rib test and draft along with anodes and below the waterline stuff,  top up fuel tanks  plus a bunch of other items. We are doing well with the list, better than I expected but then we are doing Long days and all grafting, Team Indy are doing well

Griff

Paint Indy grey and she would be perfect for you. :default_biggrin:

Really enjoying the updates.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Robin has reported on his own FB page with a video of the sea trials, all went OK apart from trashing the inside of the boat through the size of the swell.

How do we 'non face bookers' manage to see this video.   Is there a way we can have a crafty peek please?

3 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

it looked ideal conditions to check out what the boat was capable of, they may meet seas like that on the way back to the Broads, at least it’s proved she can handle it safely. Pabout trashing the saloon though.

I’d bet a roll of Velcro is on his next shopping list?

No need for Velcro, just learn how to stow for heavy seas.

First of all put kettle in cupboard and close door securely.

Secondly drink all beer onboard and dispose of cans.

Thirdly lay on sofa in comatose state and let someone else steer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

No need for Velcro, just learn how to stow for heavy seas.

First of all put kettle in cupboard and close door securely.

Secondly drink all beer onboard and dispose of cans.

Thirdly lay on sofa in comatose state and let someone else steer.

And sit under a tree to avoid sea sickness :default_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

having seen the various videos dotted around facebook, I see you had a problem with the fly by wire and the port engine gearbox oil pressure, and came back in on the starboard engine only, I was wondering if this was a major show stopper for the trip up channel, or just an easily fixed wiring fault? either way, better found out at this stage than half way up the channel.

• Like 1

from what Robin said - 

However while she is perfect mechanically an electrical gremlin in port side ‘fly by wire’ commander unit on upper helm caused us to have to return to port on Starboard engine only.

I assume the problem is with the control module, fingers crossed its a simple fix.

3 hours ago, grendel said:

having seen the various videos dotted around facebook, I see you had a problem with the fly by wire and the port engine gearbox oil pressure, and came back in on the starboard engine only, I was wondering if this was a major show stopper for the trip up channel, or just an easily fixed wiring fault? either way, better found out at this stage than half way up the channel.

Reverse docking on one engine, a test of boat handling skills also

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

Reverse docking on one engine, a test of boat handling skills also

I fail to see why given a bow thruster and I think a stern thruster too , folk do it all the time :15_yum:

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

I fail to see why given a bow thruster and I think a stern thruster too , folk do it all the time :15_yum:

Give the guys some credit it was blowing heavily,and first time out with a new boat.

11 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Give the guys some credit it was blowing heavily,and first time out with a new boat.

I'm not taking anything away for them , all I am saying is lots do this all the time and besides how many engines does BA  have ? One so it should be second nature really , + the thruster's to help , I'm taking nothing away from anyone but I'm not putting anyone on a pedestal either iv been out plenty of time in 35 knots of wind and yes mooring is difficult especially without trusters to help you .