Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Hot off the press,

‘Engine problems now seem sorted as they have extensively checked both positions today.  Lots of jobs completed and only a few to do, rib tested and all works fine but one small disaster Robin has lost his glasses over the side so is currently working blind :default_biggrin:

Doug.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, grendel said:

a spare pair is worth its weight in gold, I would suggest getting a spare pair to keep somewhere safe on board.

A neoprene cord (what jet skiers use for sunglasses) would have kept them glued to his head

• Like 1

I wear varilux transissions and varilux polaroids both the new X series at 600 quid a pop my two new pairs just before I went to Oz were over £1200. 

Before I go anywhere near a boat I fit this type of head band.download.jpeg.3ca01ab6abec942071f2e3d47276de0c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

You 'see' he doesn't drive so the understanding of the need for a spare pair in the car etc isn't appreciated. Tell him or if reading Robin to get a copy of his/your prescription and head off to Vision Express ASAP in the morning. Hopefully it's a straightforward prescription no prisms or stuff?

There was no issue whatsoever with any gearbox oil pressure as it turned out, nor any mechanical issues either. It was electrical gremlins in one of the control box issues we ‘think’ bearing in mind these parts of the system have not been used in over a year (hence sea trials). Having trialed the control systems again today from fly bridge and wheelhouse, we are a lot more confident in it’s capabilities 

Griff

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I'm not taking anything away for them , all I am saying is lots do this all the time and besides how many engines does BA  have ? One so it should be second nature really , + the thruster's to help , I'm taking nothing away from anyone but I'm not putting anyone on a pedestal either iv been out plenty of time in 35 knots of wind and yes mooring is difficult especially without trusters to help you . 

I'm guessing that BA's single prop is on the centre line of the boat though. With a twin that has one engine out you have asymmetric thrust to deal with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteveDuk said:

I'm guessing that BA's single prop is on the centre line of the boat though. With a twin that has one engine out you have asymmetric thrust to deal with.

Yes but with the assistance of thrusters at both ends its not difficult surely, one good thing is it was a twin engined boat had it not been that could have been a call out for the RNLI, as at that point it I'm quite sure it was unknown that the fault was with the electronics and a wise precaution to shut that engine down was taken .

Griff is already known for bringing his boat back safely to her moorings with a piece of string!

Not sure I like the sound of "fly by wire" engine controls but with that crew of capable people aboard, I am sure someone could have got into the engine room and controlled the engines manually, to get her back into port.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

I've got a mental picture of someone at the helm shouting into a length of hose pipe now :)

Don't forget the whistle; "full steam ahead engine room!"

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Griff is already known for bringing his boat back safely to her moorings with a piece of string!

Not sure I like the sound of "fly by wire" engine controls but with that crew of capable people aboard, I am sure someone could have got into the engine room and controlled the engines manually, to get her back into port.

Most larger outboard motors are "fly by wire now" I am not sure either about a couple of 350 hp on the back of a Rib and no hard conection! I suppose a certain amount has come from the larger boats now offering outboard power. I read last week of a manufacturer offering outboards on a 39ft offshore cruiser.

Electronic throttle control (fly by wire)is the favoured option with Yanmar engines.

We haven't had  any problems with ours since we have had the boat . Makes the drive very smooth although not quite as large engine  as Robins beasts.

John

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

If it completely fly by wire it will have a solinoid controlled fuel rack therefore no mechanical input possible.

Think it was the gears they had trouble with?  Not sure what gears are fitted in this case, normally ZF or sometimes Twin Disc but there's usually a way of manually controlling the gear change solenoids.