Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Nope. I like to live life on the edge - seriously it was only was on Sunday I even got to know what the boat draft actually was.

That might easily end up as living life in the mud :15_yum:, having moored in brundall it can get low very low , and yes I know all marinas in brundall are different but one thing I do know is is really annoying either not being able to get out or having to return at a certain time + the risk of banging the prop's etc  on what ever is in the mud  and hence my original suggestion of good child's or burgh castle as a mooring as both a deep water moorings and close to the sea .

:default_coat:

18 minutes ago, NonTecky said:

Apologies for a slight 'off topic' but out of interest what is the 'average' draft of the cruisers on hire?

Rough guess but about 2' - 2'6" .

7 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Looking at the following information from the BA water depth survey, you may want to consider only cruising the New Cut at high water! and then very much in the centre.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/514361/DEPTH__Haddiscoe-Cut.pdf

I know Robin has access to BA and all the Broads network

but with regards to Indy I’am starting to feel that the most important bit of research would have been the boat draft and mooring depth before even buying the boat.

I've had a boat before on tidal waters, nothing is more frustrating than only being able to go anywhere subject to tides

17 minutes ago, Snowy said:

I know Robin has access to BA and all the Broads network

but with regards to Indy I’am starting to feel that the most important bit of research would have been the boat draft and mooring depth before even buying the boat.

I've had a boat before on tidal waters, nothing is more frustrating than only being able to go anywhere subject to tides

Sometimes you have to let your heart rule your head, Robin's only had the boat for a month or so and already look at the enjoyment and entertainment it has bought to many (including him) and it's only been to sea couple of times. That is why you buy a boat rather than rent or charter one if you can. Anyone that brings a serious sea going boat onto the broads knows that it will not be even slightly suitable in the same way that a Broom Skipper is, you just have to make allowances and adapt/change plan as necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Fine so why risk damaging it ie prop's etc , that's Not enjoyment in anyone's book , how does anyone know what's buried in the mud ? Boating is not supposed to be about compromise its supposed to be enjoyable not stressful and worrying at the beckon call of the weather and tides .

As I said anyone bringing a serious sea going boat onto the broads knows that it is not suitable and accepts the risks as a consequence of that decision. If we all bought bought boats perfectly suited the broads then Brundall would be full of Broom Skippers. Ocean 30's, Bourne 35 derivatives and Ex Powles hire boats.  

6 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Robin cannot be that daft as he is not the only one bringing aTrader onto the broads, I’m sure he will be just fine.

Or indeed a large Broom, Fairline, Princess, or Sealine (I think I've captured the popular makes) Think there are some large Sunseekers also.

15 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Robin cannot be that daft as he is not the only one bringing aTrader onto the broads, I’m sure he will be just fine.

I'm sure he will be fine too, he has gone into this with eyes wide open and is following his dream and kindly letting us all along for the ride and I am 100% behind him. My question was simply because I know its a problem at Brundall in some areas (the dykes and yards, not the main river) for deep drafted boats at low tide and the Trader is almost a foot deeper than the biggest Broom for example. As far as I know Robin has not yet disclosed whereabouts in Brundall his mooring is so it may not even be an issue.

I really don't let things worry me, bother me or concern me - you get on and deal with it. When we had issues with the upper helm station commander and I had to move the boat to the fuel pontoon the most excited (upset/annoyed/bothered) at having to do this maneuver from the inside helm and have no vision of the boat other than the bow rail was to utter "bloody hell".

When Dan dived down and showed me photos of a chip taken out of the port propeller blade I don't fret and worry about it - I think that might make it out of balance, along with the Anodes needing to be replaced I might need a new prop - file away into the 'sort out when in Norfolk' cabinet which is in my mind and get on with the rest of my day.

I think what this thread actually shows and having bought the boat is more about me and my outlook on things than anything else. I had an email from a worried salesman about the heater installation - his manager had got involved and since the company fits out Princess new builds they went over the requirements of what a new 55 foot Princess would have and turns out to be 16Kw output. The fact  I am wanting only a 5Kw output seems to have really worried them I might not be warm enough. He also drew to my attention about am i sure I did not want the heads heated?

I guess they are used to more demanding client's since I sent a reply explaining that over Christmas I was on the Broads, on a 40ft boat with a vinyl canopy over the wheelhouse and a heater with a 3.5Kw output which had not only no heat in the heats but nor the galley and I was just fine. I am sure this sort of thing to some causes a great deal of time and thought and planning but with me it is more a case  of it doing for the time being and above all can they keep to their deadline of fitting it prior to our departure.

My advice is just sit back and relax, it will work out in the end.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I really don't let things worry me, bother me or concern me - you get on and deal with it. When we had issues with the upper helm station commander and I had to move the boat to the fuel pontoon the most excited (upset/annoyed/bothered) at having to do this maneuver from the inside helm and have no vision of the boat other than the bow rail was to utter "bloody hell".

When Dan dived down and showed me photos of a chip taken out of the port propeller blade I don't fret and worry about it - I think that might make it out of balance, along with the Anodes needing to be replaced I might need a new prop - file away into the 'sort out when in Norfolk' cabinet which is in my mind and get on with the rest of my day.

I think what this thread actually shows and having bought the boat is more about me and my outlook on things than anything else. I had an email from a worried salesman about the heater installation - his manager had got involved and since the company fits out Princess new builds they went over the requirements of what a new 55 foot Princess would have and turns out to be 16Kw output. The fact  I am wanting only a 5Kw output seems to have really worried them I might not be warm enough. He also drew to my attention about am i sure I did not want the heads heated?

I guess they are used to more demanding client's since I sent a reply explaining that over Christmas I was on the Broads, on a 40ft boat with a vinyl canopy over the wheelhouse and a heater with a 3.5Kw output which had not only no heat in the heats but nor the galley and I was just fine. I am sure this sort of thing to some causes a great deal of time and thought and planning but with me it is more a case  of it doing for the time being and above all can they keep to their deadline of fitting it prior to our departure.

My advice is just sit back and relax, it will work out in the end.

Exactly; and have some fun in the process.

I doubt that you will need a new prop if its just a nick in a blade , all it will need is rebuilding , profiling and a polish n be a good idea to do the other at the same time n once you realise how expensive a new one is your realise I'm sure its smart if it isn't major damage to refurbish it .

I can see the attraction of not letting things get to you , but there are a lot of folk on here with a lot of knowledge and are prepared to help but right now I feel that anyone that surgests anything is simply wasting their time , as in all things in life there are rules that need following , boats are no different to say cars etc and there's wealth of knowledge on this forum that can be tapped into , if you wish to go your own way then good luck , this forum as some others do has a reputation for assisting people as a lot on here including myself believe that's a major part of a forum hence the number of threads relating to a question of some nature .

Laughing it all off is fine Robin but it has a nasty habit of biting back at some point , like I said good luck .

7 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I doubt that you will need a new prop if its just a nick in a blade , all it will need is rebuilding , profiling and a polish n be a good idea to do the other at the same time n once you realise how expensive a new one is your realise I'm sure its smart if it isn't major damage to refurbish it .

I can see the attraction of not letting things get to you , but there are a lot of folk on here with a lot of knowledge and are prepared to help but right now I feel that anyone that surgests anything is simply wasting their time , as in all things in life there are rules that need following , boats are no different to say cars etc and there's wealth of knowledge on this forum that can be tapped into , if you wish to go your own way then good luck , this forum as some others do has a reputation for assisting people as a lot on here including myself believe that's a major part of a forum hence the number of threads relating to a question of some nature .

Laughing it all off is fine Robin but it has a nasty habit of biting back at some point , like I said good luck .

On the broads which are relatively safe (as opposed to offshore sailing which has additional risks) it is your wallet that is most likely to get bitten.

01:14 just finished the first rough edit of the latest update - I have a problem it is 2 hours long! So a four part series it has become..I will post part one sometime tomorrow. In the mean time here are some photos:

0a30bbb6-1ec5-46ec-8ca1-ad54f28e9397.jpg

bee00686-74a6-4049-a73f-4e3fcea7fe45.jpg

4547c3ef-9f32-4d0d-a620-3caf86802254.jpg

67779e43-d57f-4e6c-8d25-a844f2a99984.jpg

48f93b89-b145-4300-88c2-61ee22685488.jpg

People are welcome to their own opinions and views and I love it - because without differing feelings, passions and view points we would live in a very mundane world and I like the fact whether you agree or not with something I say or do, the fact that thing I did or said caused someone to feel something (good or bad) I think is good because it encourages dialogue, and feelings to be shared.  

I know that words typed can, to some, take on a meaning the person who typed them never meant to convey, and had they said it face to face with body language and tone in voice added into the mix come over so very differently.

This thread, this web or words and emotions was and is literally and extension of the videos - the videos anyone can watch and yet here you get all the little updates, the banter and behind the video commentary.  I remember years ago when I would talk about what I would do if I owned a typical ex-hire boat - re-fitting interiors, putting in a generator, electric everything, air-conditioning you name it and anyone who read it was left feeling much the same "but why would you do that?"  and here we are in 2018 and I never did get the ex-hire boat but I have Independence.

The name alone is a give-away: Doing my thing, in my way without asking permission first, or being lead this way or that by any particular person - nobody at all has had any say or influence on this one bit from the first boats I began looking at to moment I paid for it. Even the boat choice is 'random' it is like a 21 year old lusting over a BMW M3 and if they could, they would love one and then there would be me at that age turning up in a Vauxhall Senator and everyone thinking I had lost my mind but being more comfy with it's sheer size and oh that velour trim! I don't follow others, fashions or others ways, so being the age I am and of all the boats I could have bought going for a Trader 535 Sunliner just does not 'fit' when you see the usual type and age of person who usually are owners of these boats.

I am sure I will make mistakes, some I will learn from, others I may repeat a couple of times before it sinks in not to keep on repeating them - if this all fails and in 12 months time or  I get bored, have enough, did not work out for me then I won't feel bitter or disappointed one little bit - I caused it to happen, and shared my experiences with others  and the wider world with the Blogs. So feel as you wish, say what you like but the biggest surprise to some has been the fact I don't really care what happens long term but I ma loving the ride and sharing it. I know it may not make sense to spend out on a complete warm air heater install and then openly think "well it will do for now" it should not 'do' it should be as good as it can be and last and last, but I know me, and I am sure it will all come out and get replaced with something bigger and better and more suitable which makes no logical sense but that sums me up.

So for goodness sake do not learn from me, copy me or think I know what I am doing - just follow along and enjoy the ride, or cringe at the back eyes half closed seeing it as a slow car crash unfolding before you either way it's a right good way to spend a bit of time in the evening seeing what has happened next.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

I'm sorry I did not think it was compulsory to read this thread.

My mistake then. That's probably why you dislike the thread so much.

A lot of people said much the same to me when I bought my westerly Longbow and taught myself how to sail.

Really hard to hear them as I sail off into the big blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had boats for years at Cobbs Quay and Ridge Wharf in Poole both dried out. All the harbours along the North Coast of Norfolk with the exceptin of Lynn dry out as do a lot of East Coast rivers.

On an Island blessed with some of the greatest tidal range in the world it is a fact of life. You have to learn to go with the flow be it a drying berth or the tidal streams off Portland or St Albans.

Never experienced any problem with sitting on the putty.

She has a nice style Robin, I have always liked the timeless lines of the likes of Trader, Grand Banks and Nordhavn. The sort of boat that will look after you. 

• Like 1