Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Crumbs all this testosterone flying about - come on girls let us have some input and bring this wonderful adventure back to earth.

I for one am enjoying all of it and Robin it would make a fascinating book.      You do make me chuckle ,  talk about 'some mothers do have them' in so far as you tend to go from one calamity to another and has been said do cope much better than I would.  I think I would have been taken away by the chaps in white coats by now.

:default_jumelles:     May be a little bit of Iain will settle things down.  :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I like Robin, met him a few times, decent bloke. I'm loving his blog, he's doing what I would like to have done if I hadn't decided to sling my hook, settle down and bring up a family. My hat is off to Robin, I read his blog because I want to , if I didn't want to then I wouldn't. Robin is learning by doing and long may he continue doing so. Thank you for sharing with me/us, Robin. Robin has not asked for criticism, so why criticise? Robin is big enough to appreciate and accept sound advice so lets keep it to that. I'm looking forward to the next episode. 

• Like 14

From 18th to 22nd January myself and ‘Team Indy’ worked on Independence from simply chores like cleaning ropes, to getting to grips with the mechanical side of things in the engine room taking apart the Racor filters to clean and inspect. During this time I filmed as much as I was able between working on items myself and as a result over two hours of footage has been captured.  I have created a four part series taking you along from the initial works being started, to her sea trials through seas with 18ft swells and having to return to port with only our starboard engine operational.

Day One & Two:

I had come down to Plymouth on the evening of 17th January after work and by the afternoon of the 18th was all ready for the various lads who were heading down to begin arriving – the first was Simon, a former Royal Navy man and experienced electrician who lives locally to the Marina, later Charlie, Pete and Brian would arrive from Doncaster while Daniel will be arriving in the evening having come down from London.  

We had produced a list of items to attend to, and after a coffee and a briefing it was hands to decks – Pete set to removing the galley port light that was leaking and had rotted some of the surrounding wood, Simon had the fridge Rectifier apart, Charlie and myself were cleaning the Teak decks, Brian was on with Fender cleaning – it was like ’60 Minute Makeover’ with people busy with their tasks in just about every part of the boat.

Small items that you may consider to take a short time turned into more complicated drawn out issues (how true is that with boating) but we all got on very well and there was a real ‘team spirit’ despite the chilly weather and wind.

I also spent rather a lot of the day traveling about getting stuff - A new Rectifier for the Fridge, a New six man life raft, fuel cans, sealants, fuel itself, oil, and various other items brought the days spend to over £2,000. The first day ended with use trying out the Crane, uncovering the Williams RIB and figuring out how such worked ready for launch and testing – but the fact the sun had set stopped play so to speak and that would have to be put off.

Considering the distances and time taken for people to travel down and work only stating in the late afternoon we already had accomplished a bunch of items of our list and so it was time to change, relax and head out to the a local Fish Restaurant where I treated the crew to a yummy Fish & Chips supper before we headed off for a few pints in the Dolphin Hotel, where we met with Daniel who had arrived having driven down from London.  The following day was going to be starting far earlier and we were eager to get more items off our ‘to do list’ and begin to make our preparations for sea trials to take place on Saturday.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

How refreshing that in this world full of "what ifs" and sensible nonsense, there's a man following a dream. I for one wish I were 40 years younger and had the courage to take a leap of faith. Good luck Robin, I don't know who said it someone said "If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got". May you get lots of pleasure in doing something new. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Robin, many thanks for the update so far - I hope 'Indy' is giving you as much pleasure as it is me / us watching her developments - looking forward to the next instalment - enjoy the experience :1_grinning:

The crew are tame these days, but we also were not on a jolly to Plymouth but a working trip - so could not get tanked up too much in the evenings - that said Pete 'The Wizard' managed on our last night to break, literally lost the power of speech and getting him back on the boat and then to stay in his cabin proved a challenge. I am not sure what the Cider he was on was, but the fumes coming off it were pretty strong lol.

• Haha 7

Oh, he was on local cider - nuff said. we had a local cider maker in kent that was shut down by customs and excise as his cider was stronger than port. the pub it was sold at wouldnt sell you a second half pint, and you could still crawl out legless after that half pint.

• Haha 1

There was a pub down South that challenged holiday visitors to drink a pint of their scrumpy, walk around a pole on the nearby green and return to the bar. Great entertainment for the locals! Those that made it could drink for free for the rest of the week. Yours truly grew up on cider, love the stuff, too good a challenge to resist! Before we left for home I noticed that the challenge had been increased to two pints, that I think that I would have failed!

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

There was a pub down South that challenged holiday visitors to drink a pint of their scrumpy, walk around a pole on the nearby green and return to the bar. Great entertainment for the locals! Those that made it could drink for free for the rest of the week. Yours truly grew up on cider, love the stuff, too good a challenge to resist! Before we left for home I noticed that the challenge had been increased to two pints, that I think that I would have failed!

Not even a challenge, unless your a southerner :default_smiley-angelic002:

Looking forward to watching the first part after work this evening :) Ive let my 83 yr old father know who has been asking me when its going to be online. Id had to tell him to be patient after he got all excited over the short video lol