Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

I can see they have made some room for you in Brundall already!

image.png.69f64ad69a237163c03e6259e132b5e0.png

Yep like the entire marina , was down there Sunday n nice surprise to not have any hassle turning , all gone in less than 2 weeks  

31 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

It seems weird to see the boats that are usually for sale at Brooms all missing.

Regards

Alan

They will fill it with private moorings I'm sure though I'm not sure how deep it is it certainly isn't deep up by the hoist at low tide , still for now it works for me access to water wise :default_biggrin:

We continue in making discoveries about the boat preparing her for her forthcoming passage and dealing with Charlie's humour.

The crane is alive and works but we ran out time and light to use it in anger and launch the Williams RIB - it is very clever in so far as it has stops in the arm swing to prevent it from hitting the stainless steel radar arch, it also beeps as it moves and has flashing red warning lights in the arm - just to you know, get you more noticed when using it than anything to do with Health & Safety.

The fridge Rectifier was changed by Simon and is now fully functioning, Pete sorted the last of the Port light sealing and is now sorted, and Charlie spliced some new rope on one of our large fenders. Dan got a plastic plate and created a system whereby it can be used with a weight to sit on the silt and not sink in when he measures the draft - Brian helped with more cleaning and then we 'secretly' took her mooring lines to the laundry room and with some Daz they came out looking great!

We then needed to drain the large Racor filters, remove the filter element, clean the transparent bowl and re-fill with fuel and put our new filter elements in. This mean finding a couple of 5 Litre containers to hold the fuel out of the filters - Brian and I headed off to the local ASDA Petrol Station and took advantage of their screen wash promotion - two for £4.00 and thus was a cheap way to get two 5 litre containers.

Racor filters duly cleaned, it was time to run up the two Yanmar  engines to temperature - this being done after 9:00pm but was needed because of our sea trials the following day, it sure reverberated around the Marina and I actually have come to love the deep tone of the exhausts compared to the very much more muffled modern performance boats.

Catch up with all the action in update 6:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

As mentioned on the other thread what are the toilet set ups on Indy ? Guessing they are sea toilets so what are you planning on doing when up in Brundall? Also if the draft turns out to be more than you thought is there a back up plan for an alternative mooring..

Re the crane. Normally on ships the swl is calculated by what the crane can physically mechanically lift - less about 25 percent. Ergo 315 kgs even on a swl rating of 300 kgs in reality will not be an issue.

Cheers

Trev

As mentioned on the other thread what are the toilet set ups on Indy ? Guessing they are sea toilets so what are you planning on doing when up in Brundall? Also if the draft turns out to be more than you thought is there a back up plan for an alternative mooring..

The toilets are sea toilets, but she also has a large 200 litre holding tank. You just take apart the heads storage cupboard to get to the change over valve, switch to holding tank and job is a done - though with the Marina having toilets and showers I will prefer those than the boats.

If we arrive and there is not enough water under the boat - well nope, no back up plan that would go agaisnt my character to be sensible as that, in such a case I will just have to be a continuous cruiser limited to the River Yare lol

• Haha 3

During the process of sterilizing the fresh water tanks, we spread the word not to use the water from the taps onboard but to use the water from the shore supply directly aft of Indy.  Our Brian obviously forgot, later  on he filled the kettle to make a brew for everyone, then remarked that his coffee smelled and tasted weird, well it would have done as he was slowly sterilizing his insides!  Oh how we larrrrrrfed at that one too

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

you're slipping Pots  :default_biggrin:

Aren't I just!

Neither was flag Bravo hoisted during refuelling, nor any broadcasts made either!

However I will confess to stating to all the crew prior to slipping Indy's lines bound for the lock:- HTHS,  SSDCU,  ANBCDS3CY,  CASDAH,  HOOROTDCOTUD   Took me a few mins to remember that lot! :default_blink:

Griff

• Like 1

Hmm.... let me see now.

Hands to harbour stations.

Special sea dutymen close up.

The third one appears to be something to do with nuclear, biological and chemical.

I think this one, in my day, would have been "Close all X and Y openings and scuttles.

The fourth one probably means "Royal Marine band will play appropriate music!"

• Like 2