Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

I so need to stop working so hard and try to find time to read through this thread.. Hopefully over Christmas..

As I say though Robin, if you need anything just shout, don't forget too we now have really good relationships with lots of trade suppliers (certainly helped going to the marine trade show in holland) so if you are buying boaty stuff please come to me first. 

• Like 5

On 24 November 2017 at 20:41, dnks34 said:

In my opinion theres nothing more satisfying than witnessing a stranger make completely the wrong assessment of you then swiftly having to kiss the proverbial when they realise their mistake!!

And it's great making them really grovel when you've 'accidentally' let them see the wad you've got in the wallet

• Like 1

I have to say I have never cared 2 hoops what people who do not know me think of me and would never lower myself to try and change their opinion.

But I have come from nothing and financially still have nothing so I guess I have never had the opportunity to show my wad in my wallet :default_biggrin:

I took a weekend off from boating things  and somehow ended up in Halfords looking at various cleaners and polishes  but this time with Shiela. The net result was she now has a new bicycle, helmet, lights, pump, lock.... At least that is Christmas sorted.

However it now ramps up for me turning back towards boating things.  Today I am having many items arrive from Amazon - a lovely 96 piece socket set to more mundane things like speaker brackets and wire strippers. Come this weekend I will be once again headed down to the boat with more gear and odd bits from home.  I will be also working out if anyone local can provide spare parts for the service that is needed for Generator or if these need to be ordered online. Then come 16th December I will be back again, this time for the guy from CP Fuel Polishing to work his magic with the tanks (once that is complete I will be a lot more comfy).

23rd December will see Shiela and I head to Norfolk and be spending Christmas on Broad Ambition again - I am hopeful for a more mild time - but you never can tell - at least this year I have no pressure about taking the boat back and getting back to London if the rivers freeze like last years pressure of being on a frozen Malthouse Broad and needing to get a train later the same evening. All was well in the end though.

Then looking to 2018 and in January there is a full on maintenance weekend where Charlie, Howard and others will join me on board and sort out the list of items I have so far identified - some will be easy others not so much some left for another time but it will at least mean the majority can be sorted and then February 1st is a big day for this is when she says goodbye to Plymouth and heads out on her travels to Norfolk. Lots to look forward too.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Robin if you get stuck there is a Kubota dealer called MST near Plymouth

They are on the newmills Ind estate up on the Devon expressway

I expect if you ring them they would deliver to the office

They are good for spares as I went to their factory years ago to have a look round when I was selling Kubota stuff and they manfactured loads of accessories for them

and in January there is a full on maintenance weekend where Charlie, Howard and others will join me on board and sort out the list of items I have so far identified

Yes indeed a full on weekend it will be, Thursday pm right through to Monday pm.  I'm bringing two plus me, that is Brian and our very own 'Wizard' both of whom assisted in the restoration of 'B.A' The Wizard is a joiner / cabinet maker of the highest order, we are lucky to get him.  We will be in the 'GriffTile' van so no shortage of tools will be with us too.  Then I have enlisted another ex-RN mate who lives in Plymouth, he does electronics and the like (Not to mention normal electrics) he is on for the four days too, then hopefully Robin is bring another plumber mate from London, so that will be about six of us turned too for a minimum of 10 x Hr days each and every day.  I will be proper disappointed if we don't achieve quite a lot.  Looking forward to getting cracking

Griff

• Like 8

Just had my first electricity bill from the Marina - £58.75. This is for use from 10th November to 30th November.

Seems they know a thing or two about charges down there, and may explain why so many boats I have seen have their diesel heating running when on their berth while I have to use electric.

10 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Just had my first electricity bill from the Marina - £58.75. This is for use from 10th November to 30th November.

Seems they know a thing or two about charges down there, and may explain why so many boats I have seen have their diesel heating running when on their berth while I have to use electric.

Hi Robin,

Do you have a meter on your electric post?

We like many other boats in marinas on the Broads put electric cards into our meters, I estimate that we use around £150 to £160 per year. 

Regards

Alan

19 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Blimey! That's a whack. Do you get a price per unit? As the marina are charging for electricity are they governed by ofgem? can you challenge their rate? 

I have a meter at the post, they charge a supply charge and then a per unit charge is (need to contact them as to what this is) but have used 277 units. This for initial use of the air-con system to heat, then moved over to a panel heater in aft cabin and ceramic an heater in saloon, also the battery charger is running constantly to supply DC power to the boat bypassing the batteries once they are fully charged (so am told) there is then the rib-charger running, water heater and towel rails. So it all adds up, but most of this is only when I have been there which is not a lot of the time..

That’s very expensive Robin I would check the numbers on the meter when you took over and next time you go then ask them how much they are charging a unit , must be a big standing charge as I didn’t think they could over charge with with electric like that.

John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Blimey! That's a whack. Do you get a price per unit? As the marina are charging for electricity are they governed by ofgem? can you challenge their rate? 

Now I have pulled this one out of the air so to speak, but I think the going rate is about 15 to 20 pence per KWH. I know they have overheads regarding cost to keep your supply up to date and safe, but I think that is the going rate.

20 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

and in January there is a full on maintenance weekend where Charlie, Howard and others will join me on board and sort out the list of items I have so far identified

Yes indeed a full on weekend it will be, Thursday pm right through to Monday pm.  I'm bringing two plus me, that is Brian and our very own 'Wizard' both of whom assisted in the restoration of 'B.A' The Wizard is a joiner / cabinet maker of the highest order, we are lucky to get him.  We will be in the 'GriffTile' van so no shortage of tools will be with us too.  Then I have enlisted another ex-RN mate who lives in Plymouth, he does electronics and the like (Not to mention normal electrics) he is on for the four days too, then hopefully Robin is bring another plumber mate from London, so that will be about six of us turned too for a minimum of 10 x Hr days each and every day.  I will be proper disappointed if we don't achieve quite a lot.  Looking forward to getting cracking

Griff

You can tell Griff was enlisted, or he is on certain medication and if that is so, can he direct me to his pharmacy.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

They are not allowed to charge more for supplied power than they pay.

It's a big boat to keep re-heating from the lowest ambient temperature, try leaving a couple of tube heaters on a thermostat to keep some latent heat in the back ground when you are not aboard.

Letting the boat go to minimum temperature i.e 5 degrees at this time of means you have a large cubic area to raise up to normal living room temperature.

Have you any de-humidifiers running constantly 'cos they are very leccy hungry.

paul

1 hour ago, KaptinKev said:

Now I have pulled this one out of the air so to speak, but I think the going rate is about 15 to 20 pence per KWH. I know they have overheads regarding cost to keep your supply up to date and safe, but I think that is the going rate.

I think we are paying 21p/KWH in Brundall

15 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I think we are paying 21p/KWH in Brundall

Marina's have always been more expensive than say electric posts provided by BA or CRT etc , even at BA rate's after the major overhaul last yr which there was a lot of muttering about its still £45 ish , obviously one has the right to demand to see exactly what the marina pays per unit , however that's one very good way of getting the wrong side of them which could mean they refuse to let outside  contractor's work on your boat and since that's quite obviously required right now its probably best to just suck it up as are American friend's say .

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Marina's have always been more expensive than say electric posts provided by BA or CRT etc , even at BA rate's after the major overhaul last yr which there was a lot of muttering about its still £45 ish , obviously one has the right to demand to see exactly what the marina pays per unit , however that's one very good way of getting the wrong side of them which could mean they refuse to let outside  contractor's work on your boat and since that's quite obviously required right now its probably best to just suck it up as are American friend's say .

Exactly!!

22 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Don't suck it up. We live in a country that regulates energy and trade. And Robin knows his stuff. Don't let people walk over you so easily.... question everything check every fact and figure. There is always someone willing to take your money. Don't let them do it without a fight.

• Like 2