Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

She's currently making about 8 knots off Orford Ness. I can imagine crossing the Thames Estuary was quite exciting with a stiff easterly blowing over the outgoing tide.

I can imagine the whole of the last 2 days being way too exciting for me.  That sea off Dungeness made a 50 foot boat look like a 25 footer.

No shame at all, currently INDY is the only pleasure vessel underway off the east coast, no-one else is out there and it was a similar story yesterday. This is a delivery trip in tough conditions, not a pleasure cruise and Robin has lasted a lot longer than I would have done. Once again big respect to the crew and safe journey to Gt Yarmouth

Well I was feeling very worn out just reading the tale and watching the clips.

It's certainly not the sort of voyage I would look forward to.

I would take at least 2-3 weeks for this voyage with more time in port than at sea.

It would definitely also be done during Spring to Autumn.

This trip/schedule is definately one for the pros.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I'm a new member (joined today) but have been following Robin and the intrepid Team Indy from the start.

Just like to say, thanks and congrats to all involved, happy home coming to Independence.

BTW, you did the right thing Robin.

• Like 1

Sorry for no updates. Had my hands full. Proper rough seas earlier, still somewhat of a nuisance now but improved to about yesterday’s level. 5 crew onboard, 1 completely out of it, 2 more were sick earlier but have recovered and now operational again. Auto pilot packed up hours ago so manual helming. Generator not delivering 240v either so no dongle AIS or backup electronics. No chuffin kettle - if I was brave enough

Have been making poor progress due to having to back off. Now up to SOG 9knt+ on the limit for current conditions. 

Could not film earlier too rough

When I get home I will sleep for a week - oops - work stops that one

Griff

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sorry for no updates. Had my hands full. Proper rough seas earlier, still somewhat of a nuisance now but improved to about yesterday’s level. 5 crew onboard, 1 completely out of it, 2 more were sick earlier but have recovered and now operational again. Auto pilot packed up hours ago so manual helming. Generator not delivering 240v either so no dongle AIS or backup electronics. No chuffin kettle - if I was brave enough

Have been making poor progress due to having to back off. Now up to SOG 9knt+ on the limit for current conditions. 

Could not film earlier too rough

When I get home I will sleep for a week - oops - work stops that one

Griff

Hats off to all onboard Independence! 

• Like 1

when I can put some photos up you will understand the conditions they were under yesterday, that and the night navigation, would test anyone. the ex navy crew were used to those conditions, the boat was holding up better than the crew, the decision was Robins and his alone, it was a brave move on Robins part to leave the ship in the hands of his experienced crew, and a wise decision on his part considering the seas forcasted for today.

here is what we saw as they approached Dungeness

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

IMG_8508.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Griff/Crew...If you read this even if you have no kettle make sure all the crew are drinking plenty of fluid. It is so easy to become dehydrated with sea sickness or you are too busy. And it takes very little dehydration before you stop being on top of your game. Been there, not good.

• Like 3