Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Keep up the good work guys,  sorry I didn't get to meet you all in Brighton, was out celebrating the 3rd night of my birthday (it became 4 in total) Griff, you're a hero, and hope Robin recovers soon enough, very brave to tell people something he didn't need to.

I know I struggle on anything smaller than a cross channel ferry on the sea when it's rough so understand how it feels.

God speed and best of luck for the remainder of the journey.

• Like 1

I’ve been posting the Forums Facebook Groupas it’s easier from my phone. However here is the post from this morning and an update video for you all here too?

“Yesterday during the height of the rough seas I experienced something I have never had before: An anxiety attack. 

I went from being rational and fine and on the helm to no use whatsoever and found myself unable to focus. I ended up alone in my cabin feeling pretty helpless. It was not so much a fear, more something that I had no control over and the feeling, sound and motion in such seas  I’d never been in before that kept on and on and worse my reaction to this was to almost shut down. 

As time went on I began to feel better and was able once off the coast of Folkestone to regain some normality and assist as we came into Dover. 

It’s a hard thing to admit and now deal with when you experience such and have little control over it. The thing was it breads itself. So then you fear another episode which causes you to turn into a spiral of worry and guilt - as if you are letting the side down (and then you get pressure on your shoulders not to) - not from other people but your own self. 

The fact the seas were to be as bad as yesterday to begin and as we had another experienced crew member joining the boat at Dover, I took the decision after talking to all involved to either leave the boat and wait for calmer weather which I would do or should the crew feel able and happy to go on I would be happy to trust them in the care of the boat but I would not be joining them on this leg. 

It was decided that they would continue by sea and I would get a train from Dover to London and then London to Great Yarmouth. I feel very emotional writing this because I have never known a man as confident and kind and who has the ability to lead a team and reassure everyone as Charlie Griffin praise too to Howard Griffin who has been planning our routes and adjusting courses to keep the boat and crew in the best position for the state of sea. Everyone else has been through their own ups and downs too being new to such conditions as I was and I think all being equal it was a good call to come in at Dover last night and not push on. 

The latest news from the ship is the lose of Auto Helm which gives people something to do than just stand and look out of the windows hour after hour. There is about a 12ft swell on their Starboard bow. 

I’m happy to be on the train and not the boat. I also hope in being open about this to the Group people will appreciate this hard decision that I took even if may seem rather an odd one. I guess times like this you find your strengths and sometimes weaknessss too.”

And here is the video update: 

624BFB02-56A3-4F17-8AAE-AA3F0B3CACB8.MOV

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I had not heard the news that Robin was unwell and had disembarked at Dover, so  please forgive what now looks like an insensitive post. I hope by now Robin you are back to your cheerful self and looking for ward to seeing Indy hove into sight.

This is my first response on this thread, I've been watching the whole time absolutely mesmerized by the effort put in on this epic journey, all in the name of friendship and determination to see a job through.

I'm delighted that Robin's boat will soon be at her new home, I'm delighted for him that he's soon going to be able to get her the way he wants her (I sort of wince at the money it costs to do that, and I couldn't bring myself to estimate the fuel usage just because the sums involved scare the hell out of me) and I'm very very impressed that even with the obvious enthusiasm he has for all things Independence he had the good sense to not jeopardise the operation by making himself a source of concern and therefore a distraction to others. It takes a strong character to do that, I once did similar in my mountaineering days when I withdrew from a climb up the steep side of Ben Nevis because it just didn't feel right that day. My team mates that day did what Robin's did in Dover, they supported me and understood that it was the right thing that day, next time would be different.

I should be surprised about how excited I am now that the race is almost won, Lowestoft has just been passed as I type this, but we've all been captivated by this herculean adventure, well done all of you.

• Like 6

Robin you have nothing to beat yourself up about, it's commendable of you to be so open and honest about your anxiety attack. Apart from battling rough conditions at sea you are living your dream to live on a boat on the Broads and although it is your dream it's a whole new way of living which is brave but emotional at the same time. Searching for your dream boat, purchasing her and all the arrangements and planning to get Indy safely to the Broads must have been stressful which all adds up in the end and totally understandable

Take care and all the best, I am sooo excited for you

Grace

• Like 10
  • Haha 1