Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

4 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

May I offer a suggestion for you and Independance? All of which you can google and research which seems one of your strengths.

The Staande Mast rougte through Holland so no air draft issues, The Keil Canal, Copenhagen, The Gota Canal across Sweden to enter the Baltic just south of the Stockholm Archipelago and then cruise in an area of almost no tides, of vitually no darkness in summer and a salinity so low the grass and trees grow to the waters edge. Almost like The Broads rather than a sea. You could have a fabulous time on a boat like you are lucky to own, and though in northern latitudes enjoy fantastic summer weather.

That does indeed sound lovely, though I have to admit the likelihood of that happening is slim.

This is something that seasoned boaters have often frowned at - why on earth have such a capable boat tucked away on the Broads? But for the foreseeable that is where she is and one of these days she might get taken down for a re-fuel of diesel used over the winter and a cruise to somewhere like Reedham for lunch.

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I am getting there, there is still a lot to be done (for my liking) that is having to be put on the back burner such as having her out the water to change the Anodes, polish the props and hull. Also the superstructure needs compounding, waxing and polishing and new anti-slip paint applied to areas where it has worn on and around the RIB area of deck.

I need all new seating for the sundeck and fly bridge, and probably an all new canopy for the sun deck. I also need to sand the forward part of the Teak deck as the aft section and swim platform has been done previously and is in perfect condition, the forward part is not as good as could be. That should then sort her out and make keeping on top of things easier.

So really not a lot to do at all!!!   :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

That does indeed sound lovely, though I have to admit the likelihood of that happening is slim.

This is something that seasoned boaters have often frowned at - why on earth have such a capable boat tucked away on the Broads? But for the foreseeable that is where she is and one of these days she might get taken down for a re-fuel of diesel used over the winter and a cruise to somewhere like Reedham for lunch.

I would not frown. I never realised the potential of boats that I have owned due to Family, Schooling and the laziness that two fully expensed company cars, a pretty fat salary and generous expense account engendered. "Through France to the Med" was my bible but we never made it and now it is too late.

May I recommend, that anyone who ever thinks about 'the future' and 'one day I will do that' just watch the video below.

We, as people, are constantly trying to get somewhere and yet when we arrive we are already considering the next destination. Sometimes in life you need to jump in, both feet and worry about what you find after.

Everything you want and can do is simply the other side of fear. Once you are there, it is wonderful. Independence might seem crazy for some that I went into as I have, but it is not just about me and my own life and understanding things, it is about sharing with friends too so while I can, I will because you have no idea when things may change than prevent you realising that 'one day' dream.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

you have no idea when things may change

As Mrs Aristotle is often heard to say - we must make the most of opportunities that present themselves because these times may not come again.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I agree that :

when we arrive we are already considering the next destination.

because I spend a lot of time thinking how lucky I am to be where I am and trying to find ways of not having to be somewhere else :default_biggrin:.

• Like 1

Robin when you renamed Indy did you have to de-register it, I keep meaning to find the video with the original name on it did it have Hull (port) under the name.

I was thinking they have a log of the boat plus the radio reg was linked to the boat name.

The trip boat I was on that was registered in Hull even thought it's never seen 10 mile from Leeds.

29 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Robin when you renamed Indy did you have to de-register it,

No, because her registration had lapsed. I was going to go and register it again as Part 1 and still could, but get this I need to prove her weight, and I understand I need a Surveyor to do this.  I could go for a SSR registration, but since she is on the Broads now this again is very much 'down the list' of things right now.

As to the radio registration that was easy, but the EPIRB was a bit more of a process to have registered to myself from the last owner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It has been sometime since I had anything to really report..But NYA have been working away and solving issues and finding more to then solve and I am happy to say that:

I have two sets of brand new belts fitted and to the correct tension with new screws to hold the safety covers in place correctly too.

The ongoing coolant leak was traced to the bodge where a threaded valve had sheered and been 'glued' in with some gasket putty. This was removed, the engine block where it attaches cleaned up and new threads put into the metal to accommodate a new valve and now all that is awaited are the correct Yanmar seals. The thermostat housing was also removed and taken to the workshop to clean up and inspect.

Previous dangerous bodge:

IMG_6067.jpg

New valve connected to thermostat housing

IMG_6194.JPG

Work now moves to the RIB engine and oil system.

• Like 2

Just now, FairTmiddlin said:

Decided not to diy the job then. should have been easy with a small suction device to remove the oil

Duly bought small suction device to remove the oil - along with new battery, and fully synthetic oil of the correct grade to go back in. Having sucked out just over 200ml no more would come - consulted service manual on the operation and found I had only sucked out the contents of the oil tank - which should be free of oil when the engine is not running. In order to remove the rest of the oil the tank and a bunch of hoses would need to be removed to obtain actual access to the engine and from there the sump.

Since I did not have the hose clamp removal tools I stopped and sent an email to Shaun and away went the stress and hassle.

Should anyone want a 60w, 12v oil suction pump which provides a flow rate of 5L per minute let me know. No charge.

• Like 1

Duly bought small suction device to remove the oil - along with new battery, and fully synthetic oil of the correct grade to go back in. Having sucked out just over 200ml no more would come - consulted service manual on the operation and found I had only sucked out the contents of the oil tank - which should be free of oil when the engine is not running. In order to remove the rest of the oil the tank and a bunch of hoses would need to be removed to obtain actual access to the engine and from there the sump.

Since I did not have the hose clamp removal tools I stopped and sent an email to Shaun and away went the stress and hassle.

Should anyone want a 60w, 12v oil suction pump which provides a flow rate of 5L per minute let me know. No charge.

Defiantly have that off you Robin , I do loads of oil change's a yr mostly 4 its a proper pain with a manual pump , how much ? 

7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Defiantly have that off you Robin , I do loads of oil change's a yr mostly 4 its a proper pain with a manual pump , how much ? 

It is free - I have a number of things to hand out to a few people that I have made notes of bits and bobs like light fittings off Trixie. Thing is the pump is not with the boat but I will see about getting it somewhere suitable to collect and let you know via PM.

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

It is free - I have a number of things to hand out to a few people that I have made notes of bits and bobs like light fittings off Trixie. Thing is the pump is not with the boat but I will see about getting it somewhere suitable to collect and let you know via PM.

Many thanks Robin , no rush I know your rather busy at the moment picking up Trixie n forum meet etc :default_beerchug: 

Robin after Shaun has worked his magic on the rib, I am happy to go with him to do an essential river test on her and report back?

Obviously to make sure there are no oil leaks, cooling is working and she ticks over nicely. Oh, and for the sheer hell of the blast!!!! :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Robin, you could have waited a while longer and purchased this one!!

Speed boat, hot tub, car and a helicopter.  What more could you want?  Perhaps stabilisers looking at the draft and height above water but perhaps best not to go there! :default_biggrin:

Sorry, couldn’t resist but it does look impressive!

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1600051/?searchid=15302121&page=5

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I will pass on that Neil, getting the helicopter licence  would be a step too far lol

Still waiting on the progress of that car licence. Or have you given up on the idea Robin.

4 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Still waiting on the progress of that car licence. Or have you given up on the idea Robin.

I am like a Tiger ready to pounce - once the end of May is here I am off - and will be investing a lot of time into learning to drive. It may well be that I do this outside of London now too.

I am also selling the BMW 7 Series that I never got to drive, mainly because in the time I have owned it I have had to have it serviced, pay the insurance and road fund oh and have an MOT. Then a couple of weeks ago the boot spring broke and that is a 'got to get that from Germany' part and was not cheap. It is enormous being a 7 series long wheel base model and the only person who gets the enjoyment of driving it is SImon (or me when he happens to drive me places).

However, do not expect any form of sense to prevail once it is sold and I am the proud owner of a pink license Lexus is where I am headed.

• Like 2

Would make sense to take your test in Norfolk.I know they say "If you can learn to drive in London you can drive anywhere".

But I found London driving is just concentration that is needed, no different than any city it's just having that concentration. And a bit of spatial awareness.

Driving in say Norwich is geting just as congested now, so cannot see the difference.

As for the 7 series bit too much of a tank for London, need something nippy, but small enough to park easily.

Edited by FairTmiddlin