Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

how long did it take to get to the other end and back?

Probably not long making a big hole I'm the water n a bigger hole in the wallet :15_yum:

I just wanted to update this thread with some photos and a little write up of the weekend events.

Firstly, nothing was really planned but came together perfectly when Broad Ambition with Charlie and friends had headed down south and he had asked about the possibility of joining Shiela and I onboard Independence and maybe taking her out for a cruise to the likes of Reedham for an afternoon cruise. I thought it was a great idea.

Of course Shiela had no idea of this - she was due up after work Friday evening, and I was myself heading up but a little earlier in the afternoon. Having got to the boat it was a case of a 'quick' wash - only nothing about Indy is easy and a wash even if you do the bare minimum takes about 45 minutes and that is without cleaning the windows to a streak free shine. Once I had done that, checked over other items and generally readied the boat a long horn blast announced the arrival of Broad Ambition who duly moored alongside Indy. This was after heading down the wrong dyke, and having to perform a U turn outside someone's front room as they watched Corrie so I was later told.

We had a nice chat and catch up and everyone had a tour of the boat - the ladies in the party very impressed and wanting to decamp to Indy for the beds, heads and general accommodation was so much large and no bending was required. Meanwhile the chaps were impressed with thins like the TV that rises and the sound system I have put in. Back on Broad Ambition for pre-dinner drinks. Sometime later I returned to Indy and did a quick ready meal in the microwave and had just had it when the phone rang. Charlie was telling me they had run out of Gas! They were therefore unable to cook their dinner and would 'bring it over' which I must admit, I thought they would walk round to the mooring with said dinner to cook, but being Charlie he brought the boat round (far better idea).

So the Chilli was duly being cooked in Indy's galley and there was enough to feed about 10 - so I found myself back on Broad Ambition eating some more - just as well I am built for this sort of carry on and so polished off two portions. We then all headed off to 1972 (The Yare) where the very silent bar tender took our drinks order and also produced a water bowl for Macie dog. About 15 minutes later and Shiela walks in with her case and a look of surprise to find me and a bunch of rogues saying 'surprise' - naturally being a woman she knew something was up when I said 'come to the pub because I am there and the boa is locked up'.

Everyone was pretty tired and we headed back to our respective boats and beds.

The following morning we were up early and ready - Charlie had the simple task of getting a 13Kg Propane gas cylinder - Saturday morning, in Brundall would be an easy task. Not a bit of it. Brooms were not answering the phone, the Marina would only supply to berth holders and so we went about the Riverside Estate on the hunt. First call was Brooms just to see since it seemed crazy that on a Saturday change over and Bank Holiday of all times they would not have anyone there. Well, they did in the hire boat area and having checked with a chap we could get one, and a pump out so we opted to bring Broad Ambition round.

With some crew in the Bistro near Brooms others onboard Broad Ambition and Indy we walked back to Broad Ambition and then took her around to Brooms. I guess the entire evolution had taken about 30 minutes but upon arrival nobody was to be seen - eventually someone arrived asking if we had been seen to, and duly dealt with providing us with gas and dealing with the pump out - we also got water. Long story short, all done, paid back to base and everyone gets onboard Indy and readies themselves for departure.

Now Indy is not small, and we needed to turn her before we left, of all days plans this was the one I was most bothered about as a mistake here is not going to end up with a 'ding' it will be someone's entire rear canopy torn off with our Anchor as the boat swings round in the narrow fairway. Needless to say we had a bunch of crew on decks with fenders at the ready and some great instructions and distances being called out  and I turned Indy with ease. We then cruise out to the main river, turned left and headed for Reedham.

Indy draws over 1.6m so it was a keen eye on the depth instrumentation we had between 2.6m and 3.3m under us. It was a windy, but lovely day and the guests were soon sipping some interesting flavoured Gin and mixers - well I guess it was then crowned a 'Gin Palace'. The men amongst us were on good old lager and ale mind you.

We arrived at a busy Reedham Quay, with the current which was by now beginning to pick up in its flow. Charlie shouted over to the quay attendant could they move a day boat up a little and he obliged. We waited at the bridge waiting pontoon for this to be done and then it was a case of me taking the boat away and turning her while not allowing the current to take us too far towards the close railway bridge.  I did not use the thrusters but with about 1.500RPM on starboard engine forward and the same on the port engine astern she turned in her own length with an impressive growl to boot. We then slowly came alongside whereby as I engaged drive on starboard engine a sudden vibration and the engine bogged down for a second - clearly the proper had touched the muddy bottom  (this was still about an hour away from low water) so no more motive power was use and the boat was moved forward on the lines.

We had some lovely food and drinks at the Lord Nelson pub in the sunshine and once we had our fill we decided to head through the bridge and down to Breydon Water. We did not need to call up the bridge as it showed a countdown on the LED information screen as to the next opening and open it duly did. This time I left the quay using thrusters only and then spun the entire boat using counter bow and stern thrust and this as you might imagine had a lot of onlookers from either moored boats or those just sat or walking along the moorings. Using the engines earlier or the thrusters had the same effect - she is large but very manoeuvrable and you have complete confidence in things even so far as to be able to come to a mooring with the current, stop and then moor as if you are in still water. The slightest nudge astern for a second or two literally feels as if the brakes have been applied and people need to steady themselves to counter the change of momentum, really rather remarkable to feel.

We headed down river, past the Berney Arms and out on Breydon Water proper. It was low water now but the tide was just about ready to turn and with only one other boat some distance ahead of her Charlie, who was now on the helm began to build up the revs, until about 2,000RPM when all hell broke loose and various alarms began sounding. We had a full overheat occurring on port engine. I rushed up to the fly bridge and took over as Charlie rushed past to the engine room. Here he used his hands to compare engine temps - header tanks, the same, heat exchangers also the same, raw water strainers - clear and cool, raw water impeller housings, cold, exhaust where water is inject - again cool. Absolutely no sign of any issue and yet the port engine temp gauge was now pegged in the red. With the Port engine shut down I cruised down Breydon water, Charlie then closed the sea cock and removed the raw water strainer it was as expected perfect clear with no blockages. I turned the boat and then came back towards Berney Arms and re-started the port engine, slowly the temp gauge fell until around 85c at tick over she was further reducing but at about 1,500RPM she would again begin to rise and get hotter. We suspect it could be a faulty sender (there are two for temperature sensing) but it might be an air lock in the cooling circuit where coolant goes in a closes loop into the hot water tank, it might be a faulty thermostat as this was all removed recently whatever it needs more investigation.

We then cruised back to Brundall without further incident and moored up at her berth. After some time talking and enjoying the late evening sun, I popped down to the Engine Room to find engine oil under the starboard engine - not much maybe a cupful, but there none the less. Charlie then got over into the hot nooks and crannies (he seems to do a lot of that on Indy) and found it was one of the oil filters leaking from the top O ring seal.  I have since looked at this and it just does not look very 'new' and this was another item supposed to have been changed prior to leaving Plymouth. I have spares but I am no longer taking any chances - I am having NYA look into the cause of the overheat - was it real, or just a false alarm with a faulty sender, but they can also do a proper Yanmar service - fuel filter's oil fitter's oil - the lot. I have a great deal of respect and trust in them, and having now paid a couple of invoices for the work they do and care they take I don't think they are at all bad value.

So, nothing too bad, nothing too serious but when people say about the Broads and sea boats being on here and so on Breydon Water really came into its own for me to be able to safely do something find an issue and come back home so to speak as if it was a walk in the park, having had to return to Plymouth in less than favourable conditions on one engine during sea trials, I'd much rather fin out things on Breydon than off of the coast at Yarmouth. Still, on the plus side the upper help throttle controls performed flawlessly, even if their chrome has now peeled and the trim tab adjuster has packed up working. One step forward, three back at the moment but I'm still loving it!

IMG_6796.JPG

IMG_6794.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

• Like 14

I have an IR temp gun stowed in the engine room. When on sea going passages part of my regime (in addition to putting little crosses and some notes on a paper chart every 30 mins) is to regularly go to the engine room and point the gun at the key points such as engine coolant pipes, turbo's, alternators, exhaust pipes, transmission & cooling hoses etc.  to check that all is OK. In the event of a temp alarm for "something", I can use the gun to verify if in fact there is a problem or put the alarm down to a sensor/gauge/alarm panel malfunction and continue as normal but continue to monitor very frequently.. 

36 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I have an IR temp gun stowed in the engine room. When on sea going passages part of my regime

I too have one of these, though I admit not in the engine room it is with all the tools. However, while that might be pretty precise and help identify the exact location of a difference in heat, the good old hand can also do a great job in in seconds to just touch the obvious parts simultaneously between 'good engine' and 'engine with alarm' .

Usually a marine engine overheating is lack of raw cooing water through blocked strainer/thru hull, an impeller that has just gone, or lack of header tank coolant (or a combination). Since all these are fine, my money is something has disturbed a sender or the fact the entire thermostat and housing was remove to repair the coolant leak on this engine may point toward something there not being happy. I am confident the engine did not actually overheat.

I am also far more happy that once the boat was out and underway there was no smoke evident - this was before we pushed her up the rev range on Breydon Water. I have become in recent times a bit of an over worrier 'uh oh what is that' and then immediately presume its an enormous problem and will cost thousands to sort out, only to find out actually in the case of the oil leak it is a leaking oil filter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I too have one of these, though I admit not in the engine room it is with all the tools. However, while that might be pretty precise and help identify the exact location of a difference in heat, the good old hand can also do a great job in in seconds to just touch the obvious parts simultaneously between 'good engine' and 'engine with alarm' .

Usually a marine engine overheating is lack of raw cooing water through blocked strainer/thru hull, an impeller that has just gone, or lack of header tank coolant (or a combination). Since all these are fine, my money is something has disturbed a sender or the fact the entire thermostat and housing was remove to repair the coolant leak on this engine may point toward something there not being happy. I am confident the engine did not actually overheat.

I am also far more happy that once the boat was out and underway there was no smoke evident - this was before we pushed her up the rev range on Breydon Water. I have become in recent times a bit of an over worrier 'uh oh what is that' and then immediately presume its an enormous problem and will cost thousands to sort out, only to find out actually in the case of the oil leak it is a leaking oil filter.

Before IR guns we had the "wetted finger" test for things that were hot, but 60C is about as hot as you would want to put your hands on (most coolant "out " temps are in the region of 95C and oil temps are higher). Sadly the Mk4 hand temperature tester has few calibrated points: cold, warm, hot, f'kin hot and sh!t that really hurts.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clip-pipe-thermometer-hot-water/dp/B00GYV0L5I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527544443&sr=8-3&keywords=pipe+clamp+thermometer&dpID=41tx0KSbjqL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

How about a couple of these on your return pipe on the engines, you'd have to use a wire to extend the spring to reach round but it's an instant visual check.

Others are cheaper but for a few quid this make can be trusted I've sold loads.

10 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Sadly the Mk4 hand temperature tester has few calibrated points: cold, warm, hot, f'kin hot and sh!t that really hurts.  

This made me laugh. You know what I did just think. A number of boats have CCTV in their engine rooms, as if looking a screen makes it all ok until there is a coolant pipe burst and you think it is smoke - well matters not really for you cannot see a damn thing anyway. It is the perfect environment for thermal imaging and seeing hot spots develop and being able to remotely see what those temperatures are - and, even in a large event like smoke filled engine room they are not effected by it.

I am annoyed they cost so much. A couple of hundred pounds gets you one for a smart phone, but want it in a 'CCTV' style enclosure and it is several thousand pounds. Of course resolution increases with cost, but even so.

3 minutes ago, Siddy said:

How about a couple of these on your return pipe on the engines, you'd have to use a wire to extend the spring to reach round but it's an instant visual check.

I love this place, full of new wonders to discover. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Siddy said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clip-pipe-thermometer-hot-water/dp/B00GYV0L5I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527544443&sr=8-3&keywords=pipe+clamp+thermometer&dpID=41tx0KSbjqL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Can't get the link to work but I'm sure I know what you mean.

I also think it is a good discipline to regularly check the engines for leaks, smoke etc.

Try this link

I agree about the checks, the small amount of oil I found under the engine was only spotted because I like to have a good check and look about and make mental notes of anything that has occurred or changed or looks different. I also make sure I always check things like coolant, oil, belts fuel filters etc before ever start up - and small things like did you leave a rag from the oil dip stick somewhere stupid where ti could get tangled in a belt, or cover an air intake.  I think a lot of boaters regard the engine area as the dark smelly place best left out of sight.

Randomly, just remembered my aft sea chest (where the aft shower and  sink drain into) has a failed float switch I need to order a replacement It stopped working on Sunday so was manually operating the pump to drain it when needed.

I should take a photo of the ones on Indy, any I have seen are kind of self contained boxes you buy off the shelf with inlet and outlet ports and a small Rule Bilge pump in them. On Indy they are custom moulded 'mini' baths' with a 2,000GPM bilge pump in them and an open top - thus if ever the bilges flooded to the point of operating the high water alarm, they would also over top the sea chests and  these pumps would act as a further two pairs of bilge pumps meaning the boat has the capacity to pump up to 10,000 gallons per minute out of her bilges. Small things I find still impress me.

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

This made me laugh. You know what I did just think. A number of boats have CCTV in their engine rooms, as if looking a screen makes it all ok until there is a coolant pipe burst and you think it is smoke - well matters not really for you cannot see a damn thing anyway. It is the perfect environment for thermal imaging and seeing hot spots develop and being able to remotely see what those temperatures are - and, even in a large event like smoke filled engine room they are not effected by it.

I am annoyed they cost so much. A couple of hundred pounds gets you one for a smart phone, but want it in a 'CCTV' style enclosure and it is several thousand pounds. Of course resolution increases with cost, but even so.

Indeed, a top of the range thermal imaging camera is no competition for the MkII Lug Hole in detecting strange noises or vibrations especially when used with the enhancement kit  (a large crosshead screwdriver handle against the ear with the other end on the suspected component, non rotational bits of course). Although there are usually  2 working Lug Holes in the kit ,only one required for this test.    

21 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Indeed, a top of the range thermal imaging camera is no competition for the MkII Lug Hole in detecting strange noises or vibrations especially when used with the enhancement kit  (a large crosshead screwdriver handle against the ear with the other end on the suspected component, non rotational bits of course). Although there are usually  2 working Lug Holes in the kit ,only one is required for this test.    

Here you go Robin is this the toy you want, This is mine I use for ISO energy reporting and the pipework is now insulated. Takes a camera shot as well but for £1200 I want a brew made as well.

A few year ago they had this type of unit you could borrow like a book from the library so youi could check your house from the outside care of the council.

IR000075.JPG

I'm taking that its the same engine in hat has had work done on it or sorting out the dangerous bodge ,? If that's the case I would consider an air lock within the closed cooling system , easy to tell the hot tank which I believe is connected to that engine will not heat the water , that's the first give away as to a airlock , that's my prognosis as a sender issue would be either all or nothing same with the gauge and the cabling , get it checked but I'll be very surprised if it's not a simple airlock , does what it says n stop's the cooling water doing its job n won't show up at low revs but pile  on the power n it manifests its self pretty quick , n that's pretty much what happened apparently .

15 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I'm taking that its the same engine in hat has had work done on it or sorting out the dangerous bodge ,? If that's the case I would consider an air lock within the closed cooling system , easy to tell the hot tank which I believe is connected to that engine will not heat the water , that's the first give away as to a airlock , that's my prognosis as a sender issue would be either all or nothing same with the gauge and the cabling , get it checked but I'll be very surprised if it's not a simple airlock , does what it says n stop's the cooling water doing its job n won't show up at low revs but pile  on the power n it manifests its self pretty quick , n that's pretty much what happened apparently .

Add to that at low load (idle speed) the thermostat is going to to be pretty much closed circulating the coolant within the engine, with a little more load the thermostat would open a bit circulating the coolant through the heat exchanger and into the hot water calorifier circuit. These types of engines usually have fully blocking stats.

• 2 weeks later...

You may recall that some time ago I was preparing the Willaims RIB (now named Picca) and was shocked to have found it was devoid of oil. I duly therefore bought some more oil and put it in until it showed on the dip stick. Having posted such here some engineering savvy members pointed out I should on no account try and start the engine for I had now massively overfilled the engine.

I duly then attempted to remove this excess oil myself without luck and so before I did any lasting damage got in touch with Norfolk Yacht Agency to help. Today they popped over to do this, saying it would be a quick and easy job. How wrong we all were...For it was so overfilled with oil when they tried to turn over the engine (with the coil pack removed to prevent it firing) and to pump oil from the sump into the oil tank - the engine hydro locked. Oil was full in the cylinders!

There was talk of maybe having to take the head off to resolve the issue, but several hours later and after much work and a lot of hoses having been removed almost all the oil was removed. It should have a maximum of 3.5 litres and we removed over 7 litres!

With the engine back together again it was time to add fuel and try to start, she fired up - the smoke was terrible as the oil was burned off and ejected from the exhaust. One thing I did find out is at some point the spark plugs had been messed about with - one was the original Iridium Racing plugs, and one was a completely different one which looked like what would be in an outboard. I have ordered two new Iridium ones from Panks in Norwich so she will soon be firing very well.

Oh and one final note, I also found out the engine she has is the ungraded turbo charged version priding not 80HP but 100HP!

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

Video of initial start up

• Like 4