Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

• 9 months later...

Only been a few months - well okay, over 12 since I last posted to this thread. A bunch has happened in that time, but small bits here and there that have not really warranted a written update, leave aside a video.  Also I have found that making videos is not as easy when you've got to worry about stopping what you are doing to hold the camera, then carry on for a bit, then stop and so on ans so forth.

Still, recently the fresh water pump packed up and I came over to this very thread because I had remembered Stuart talking about what pump type he had fitted on his Trader, this lead me to go through all the paper work and original manuals onboard to find my one too had such a pump. A pump very different to the one fitted, which in turn had been replaced back in Plymouth prior to sailing her to the Broads.

So on to A.S.A.P Supplies who had the pump in stock and off to Beccles I went to get it. I am the first to praise the likes of Amazon for price and products, but A.S.A.P not only was the same price as I could get on Amazon, the best part was the helpful free advice they provide so it is not always the best thing to buy online..

Since I have fitted the new pump the issues with pressure, pump cycling and hot water fluctuations have all vanished. The only issue is the sheer noise the Par Max 4 emits. I do however have some ideas on how to isolate some of this, and the resonance through the bulkhead to which it is fitted.

Video of the process here:

• Like 3

Welcome back Robin, some of the more experienced boaty types may have a good fix for the noisy jabsco pump but I have found 4 rubber exhaust silentblock bobbins are best. When fitted they have no direct metal to metal contact with the hull so should reduce the transmitted growl. Cheap as chips on Amazon, mount them on a piece of ply then screw the ply to the cladding.Hope it helps.

Paul.

• Like 1

Spot on silent block bobbins will cure a resonance issue n pretty easy to fit too , that said they have already got isolation rubbers fitted so it shouldn't resonate .

Incidentally the Johnson pump is a 5 diaphragm pump hence the large chamber and should ideally be run in conjunction with an accumulator tank of the correct size and pressurised 2-3 psi less than the pump pressure .

Any water pump must never be mounted with the motor facing down in a vertical format as any internal leak will get back into the motor and bearings , sideways is fine as is any oriantation on a flat surface .

A simple ball valve introduce on the inlet side will combat the issue being able to isolate the water supply and very useful to be able to turn it off when leaving the boat for extending periods as it removes the possibility water running if a pressure realise valve , tap washer or pipe  fails aft of the pump , if it's taken care of with a pump turn of switch fitted to the boat already that also removes that risk .

• 1 month later...

Hi Robin,

Good to see you're making progress with the freshwater system. Just a thought as I see that the pipes leading to and from the pump are translucent. That's not the usual Trader style and leads me to wonder whether the current siting of your pump was the original one. Normally the pipework is opaque and colour coded for hot (red) and cold (blue) water. The pipes are plastic on the inside and outside with a thin layer of metal sandwiched between. They can be bent into a suitable shape quite easily and they then hold their shape and position. I would be interested to see at what point the translucent feed pipe to the pump begins and whether there are signs of a pump having been fitted in that vicinity. It may be that a previous owner extended the pipework and, if it is the case, you may be able to deduce why that was or what other changes may have been made in that vicinity.

All the best,

Stuart

• 7 months later...

Really enjoyed reading through this thread after being a fan of Robin on YouTube for many years and having watched almost all of his videos, I think!

Just out of curiosity, is Robin active on any other forums/groups etc? Really enjoyed his content and input, but see he hasn't been active on this forum for a few months. 

• 3 months later...

This morning my water pump decided to spring a leak, from the PumpGuard filter - I had no idea that getting this fixed would take so long, and see me having to bypass the filter temporarily while a regalement is ordered. Trust me to have an unusual inlet/outlet configuration on my filter assembly than that any chandlery has in stock currently. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

Good to see you back on form and out and about on Independence. I've noted that you're changed your Vimar sockets for UK style. If you haven't thrown out the old ones I could make you an offer as I could do with a couple more for my 535.

All the best,

Stuart

• 4 months later...

Been a loooong old time since I was updating this topic - the old sockets Stuart asked about, I have parted with this - sorry. But this is an update about my future - and that of Indy:

I have spent over three years living onboard Independence - and it has been wonderful, but at the same time, I have felt restricted and a growing feeling of not being in a settled place. So, I have bought a three bed detached house in Lincolnshire which will become my new base. Of course if I am no longer going to be living full time on Independence, she is one hell of a big boat to pop down to for a weekend stay and cruise to the likes of Reedham and back. So, I have begun packing away my possessions - which I never though I had too much of living on a boat, yet when it comes to boxing them up it all adds up.  Once I am off the boat - completion of the house keeps being put back but fingers crossed it will finally happen come end of April - I will be putting Independence up for sale.

I feel a greater sense of emotion at this prospect than when I left London, maybe because when you live on a boat, you feel so much more connected to the environment. When we have had gale force winds, and I am out adjusting lines, adding extra fenders and so on, you feel like the old girl is looking after you more than you would in a house. Or clearing ice and snow off her decks, or dealing with big flood tides or even waking up to find all the water is missing and she is on the mud.

She has always been a cost, warm and dry boat, and a home from home with her wonderful space, Teak interior, king size bed, and conveniences of a washer dryer, dishwasher and big shower mean yo never feel like you are 'making do'. Of course the fact I am moving to a new county does not mean my days on the Broads are at an end, but I shall be returning to holidays and weekends rather than all the year. I sure will miss the peace and ebb and flow of the river, but am excited at the prospect of making my new house a home. My only issue is, literally everything will need to be bought - from the bed, to the sofa, to the coffee table so this will be an interesting (and costly few months) ahead.

• Like 12

Hi Robin, so interesting to read your update. I suspect there will be other folk who have wondered from time to time whether there's a new chapter coming.

Seems to me that at least you were able to fulfill a long held dream and give the life on board a go. It's been strange times for us all and we're finding that we are still waiting to really begin our Norfolk life.

I wish you well and hope that we will still hear from you and see you out on the rivers.

• Like 2

I wish you well Robin.

Actually Lincolnshire has some lovely quite waterways including The Witham. You might just find moving your small Sheerline closer to your new home gives you  the very best of both.

• Like 1