Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Well done to Griff, Robin and Indy crew

Emotionally we where all with you watching that little pink dot edge closer to Great Yarmouth

I cannot imagine how you felt when you entered the River Yare

To forum in general I very proud to be a member of a forum that as put its whole hearted support behind Team Indy

Well done to all and thank for letting us be there with you

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Griff and team Indy 

although you can't do your final leg you should hold your heads high, that was an epic voyage in some nasty sea.

imo Robin has some mighty fine friends in you lot, you can see by the 60+ pages the amount of Nbn willing you lot on.

you can't beat things out of your control Griff, hope you've all had a good feed and are putting your feet up with a well deserved pint or 6

anyway, thanks for taking us along, it's been a great trip even tho most of us weren't onboard

take care all 

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know that there is nothing different that I can say to anyone else but wanted to post anyway.

It's been an epic few days following the progress of Independence and all the crew. Someone at work this morning asked me what I had done over the weekend ... they were quite amazed when I explained and showed them the marine traffic website! 

Robin it is always a pleasure to be allowed to share your adventures and I can only try to imagine how hard these last few days have been for you but look forward to seeing what happens next.

Griff thank you so much for all your updates, photos and videos on this voyage. You have kept us all so well informed and I will read with interest any further thoughts you share with us.

And to all of Team Indy I'm sure that you know that we've all loved following every step of the journey here. I hope that you all get safely home tonight .... and we will await tomorrow to see what the new day brings.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Was great to meet Team Indy if only for a short while this evening.

To say I'm in awe of you all is an understatement.

Well done to all of you and thanks for sharing the epic adventure with us all.

Hope that pesky bridge opens up promptly for you tomorrow and the final leg is plain sailing .

• Like 2

I too must congratulate Team Indy, having hooked up at Dover and had the tour (did you know you can get 5 people into her engine room at the same time, along with the two beasts of engines and the fuel tanks) I find I must now make good on the promise I made that I would see if I could find the parts to fix that broken blind - Yes even amongst all the hardships of the trip time was found to discuss various maintenance items. so these are the blind innards I have, do any of team indy that have had a look at this blind recognize the bits you need, this is a selection of what I have here, having stripped quite a few of these down to get the planking required for the model of Broad Ambition. I even have spare cords and toggles.

IMG_9189.JPG

IMG_9190.JPG

IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG

IMG_9193.JPG

IMG_9194.JPG

IMG_9195.JPG

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9197.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

IMG_9199.JPG

IMG_9200.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

I too must congratulate Team Indy, having hooked up at Dover and had the tour (did you know you can get 5 people into her engine room at the same time, along with the two beasts of engines and the fuel tanks) I find I must now make good on the promise I made that I would see if I could find the parts to fix that broken blind - Yes even amongst all the hardships of the trip time was found to discuss various maintenance items. so these are the blind innards I have, do any of team indy that have had a look at this blind recognize the bits you need, this is a selection of what I have here, having stripped quite a few of these down to get the planking required for the model of Broad Ambition. I even have spare cords and toggles.

What an amazing forum with amazing people. Never ceases to amaze! So many helpful selfless acts in one thread from skippering a mate's boat round the South coast to fixing blinds and everything in between. I love this place. Well done everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can only echo what has already been said.

Well done all on board and thanks for allowing us to share the trip with you.

When Independence was on her berth in Plymouth she looked huge. In some of the photos posted on this thread of her in the rough seas she looked no more than a bath toy. That's what brought home just what an amazing job the crew have done over the last 4 days. I'm in awe of you all.

Truly when you go on board she does seem huge, she makes even a broads boat feel narrow beam, as I said, the engine room can hold 5 (at a squeeze) though there isnt a deal of head room Robins Cabin is as big as an average bedroom (maybe bigger) and the saloon happily held 7 people all wandering around without feeling crowded, but put her out there in those seas and she does look kinda small.yet the boat was happily taking everything that was thrown at her.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

No Wetherspoons or pints for me tonight, or the rest of the team either. Too knackered. Snacks onboard, tidy up. Then drive home

Griff

That might be a wise choice have you ever been in the toll cart its a mad house .

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I’ve been posting the Forums Facebook Groupas it’s easier from my phone. However here is the post from this morning and an update video for you all here too?

“Yesterday during the height of the rough seas I experienced something I have never had before: An anxiety attack. 

I went from being rational and fine and on the helm to no use whatsoever and found myself unable to focus. I ended up alone in my cabin feeling pretty helpless. It was not so much a fear, more something that I had no control over and the feeling, sound and motion in such seas  I’d never been in before that kept on and on and worse my reaction to this was to almost shut down. 

As time went on I began to feel better and was able once off the coast of Folkestone to regain some normality and assist as we came into Dover. 

It’s a hard thing to admit and now deal with when you experience such and have little control over it. The thing was it breads itself. So then you fear another episode which causes you to turn into a spiral of worry and guilt - as if you are letting the side down (and then you get pressure on your shoulders not to) - not from other people but your own self. 

The fact the seas were to be as bad as yesterday to begin and as we had another experienced crew member joining the boat at Dover, I took the decision after talking to all involved to either leave the boat and wait for calmer weather which I would do or should the crew feel able and happy to go on I would be happy to trust them in the care of the boat but I would not be joining them on this leg. 

It was decided that they would continue by sea and I would get a train from Dover to London and then London to Great Yarmouth. I feel very emotional writing this because I have never known a man as confident and kind and who has the ability to lead a team and reassure everyone as Charlie Griffin praise too to Howard Griffin who has been planning our routes and adjusting courses to keep the boat and crew in the best position for the state of sea. Everyone else has been through their own ups and downs too being new to such conditions as I was and I think all being equal it was a good call to come in at Dover last night and not push on. 

The latest news from the ship is the lose of Auto Helm which gives people something to do than just stand and look out of the windows hour after hour. There is about a 12ft swell on their Starboard bow. 

I’m happy to be on the train and not the boat. I also hope in being open about this to the Group people will appreciate this hard decision that I took even if may seem rather an odd one. I guess times like this you find your strengths and sometimes weaknessss too.”

And here is the video update: 

624BFB02-56A3-4F17-8AAE-AA3F0B3CACB8.MOV

I really do feel sorry for you Robin, the ultimate trip in your lifetime and a phase of anxiety overcomes you!

The photos of the sea passage made me feel quite sick, but not even close to how I felt this afty when the bridge wasn’t opened. I’m totally gutted - can’t imagine that’s even close to your feelings on it. Quite literally a heroic effort from Team Indy this weekend. Wishing you all a peaceful rest tonight, you clearly deserve it.

Also hoping that Indy slides nicely into her new berth tomorrow and we perhaps get a pic of her safely installed in her new home, ready to be pampered, polished and preened as she deserves to be- she’s clearly proved her mettle this weekend just like her fab crew

:default_biggrin:

• Like 3