Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

I think the partners of Indy's crew also deserve a big hug - because I imagine, if you think all those on this forum this weekend went through the mill with this trip, I suspect their weekend was even worse.

Mrs Griff et al - you also all deserve a large drink and good nights sleep

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Massive well done Team Indy! 

So many emotions experienced by the Indy crew and us forum crew. 

Thank you for letting us join the adventure from behind our screens.  The words, the photos, the videos. If this was a film, the credits would be endless! 

Robin, now enjoy your fabulous boat who we have all taken into our hearts. Brave crew, brave Indy 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, w-album said:

I think the partners of Indy's crew also deserve a big hug - because I imagine, if you think all those on this forum this weekend went through the mill with this trip, I suspect their weekend was even worse.

Mrs Griff et al - you also all deserve a large drink and good nights sleep

Totally agree, I am guilty of not thinking about the crews loved ones, they must have gone through the mill.

Congrats to all of them :default_beerchug: 

Great to read that Robin has brought his ship home.

Very brave of him and the crew to take the decision they did in Dover to carry on, and for Robin to take a break.  Absolutely the right thing to do and a mark of good seamanship all round.    

The preparation for a journey like this is always important and Indy made it despite the weather  It will be interesting to read the full story when Robin has a chance to reflect.

Delivery trips are often about "getting it done" and the enjoyment of the boat comes later when time is not against you and you can wait for the right conditions. Hats off to the crew for getting it done.

Hoping that Robin finds lots of enjoyment from his fabulous boat in the future.  

• Like 5

In 2018 a crack forum unit was sent to Plymouth by a certain London Rascal to move a boat (as punishment for a crime they didn't commit) These men promptly escaped from the Norfolk Broads to the Yorkshire underground. Today, still wanted by the BA, they survive as tradesmen of fortune. If you have a boat and if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the ..... I-Team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 20

Now that reminds me back in 2016, Griff and Robin offered to take WR out and do one of Robin's classic blogs.  I am sure that after all the 'recent fun' they might fancy a little old boat with no mod cons, no huge fuel bills, no room to swing a cat and no heating nor hot water.  As long as they promise not to take her out to sea that is!

No rush guys she's on a slipway at the moment!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, w-album said:

Now that reminds me back in 2016, Griff and Robin offered to take WR out and do one of Robin's classic blogs.  I am sure that after all the 'recent fun' they might fancy a little old boat with no mod cons, no huge fuel bills, no room to swing a cat and no heating nor hot water.  As long as they promise not to take her out to sea that is!

No rush guys she's on a slipway at the moment!

Great idea Liz ........leave a " To Do list "  ...........well you never know and it's always worth a try ?:default_biggrin:

finny

• Like 3

All safe and sound - finally - at my new home berth. Just had a moment to stop sorting the boat out and dealing with various things to get a chance to update all. 

The total fuel used has been 2.909 litres which cost £2,835.87. 

It was an epic trip to bring her to the Norfolk Broads and had the best crew and bunch of mates who worked hard but can equally come away with the experience and adventure few could have had. 

Then to the many who followed here, keen viewers on AIS and those who helped when I needed it to those who popped along and have take film and photos of her trip.  Thank you all!

So the low down: Having myself and others call Peel Ports about getting the boat though you can imagine they had been getting tired of Independence being in Yarmouth and one might think just wanted rid of me as much I did of Town Quay. 

At around 10:15 we got a call to proceed and with a Pilot boat got through Haven Bridge with a flood tide behind me I had to then hold station while Breydon Bridge first had the traffic stopped then lifted. Got the all clear and we were off Pilot boat to my Starboard side it was just us on Breydon so on the ‘straight’ we opened her up to 3,000RPM and the Pilot boat went for it too but we left it in our wake as she climbed and climbed to over 24MPH - we throttles back to a sensible 10MPH and carried on our way. 

Approaching Reedham I had no answer of VHF which was odd as the LED sign said “Request to Open” so we moored and the waiting pontoon and hen the bridge began to open! (bridges and me not happy fellows) then the Reedham Chain Ferry - blimey would we have depth to get over chains - we did and so we set course to Brooms. 

Arrived and fuelled up and then the Broads Authority arrived on scene. They had been contacted about my boat and not having Tolls - so duly paid up all was well and the it began to snow! I recon I almost emptied Brooms of fuel and duly made my way to my berth - only to find they had no record of me being a berth holder. Holding station in river while dealing with Marina and all was finally sorted allocated and snug at her berth. 

Did I get lots of great video..? No. Sorry I was too busy helming and taking in the moment but I did get this snippets.

I will write more but please give me a day or two to catch up with sleep! Thank you all for being there even if just reading about it here ?

2139F0F0-E0AD-48F3-9F6B-6F1D64A4C42B.jpeg

19E13F25-075D-472F-BE70-1FFD40EC3444.jpeg

00532E56-2EB8-488B-8F4B-64D07C39975C.jpeg

24B47F58-FEEF-473A-A08F-D0A5D775323F.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Arrived and fuelled up and then the Broads Authority arrived on scene. They had been contacted about my boat and not having Tolls - so duly paid up all was well

Surely no-one would be so nasty as to jump on you for not having tolls? Who would contact BA over that?

I haven't commented on this thread, mostly because A) I have nothing useful to say, and B) I haven't understood most of the techy stuff! But now's the time to thank Robin for letting us all  "ride along", and what a ride! Well done to all involved, and I wish Robin well in his new "abode". It takes a brave man to make such a decision, and I take my hat off to him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well done Robster and crew.

I look forward to seeing you around and about Brundall soon.

Let me warn you though, if I get to Brooms on Friday and they have no diesel left for me to fuel up, I will know where to come moaning.

In seriousness though bud well done on your journey and I am raising a glass for your future adventures, where ever you choose to take them.

24 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

All safe and sound - finally - at my new home berth. Just had a moment to stop sorting the boat out and dealing with various things to get a chance to update all. 

The total fuel used has been 2.909 litres which cost £2,835.87. 

It was an epic trip to bring her to the Norfolk Broads and had the best crew and bunch of mates who worked hard but can equally come away with the experience and adventure few could have had. 

Then to the many who followed here, keen viewers on AIS and those who helped when I needed it to those who popped along and have take film and photos of her trip.  Thank you all!

So the low down: Having myself and others call Peel Ports about getting the boat though you can imagine they had been getting tired of Independence being in Yarmouth and one might think just wanted rid of me as much I did of Town Quay. 

At around 10:15 we got a call to proceed and with a Pilot boat got through Haven Bridge with a flood tide behind me I had to then hold station while Breydon Bridge first had the traffic stopped then lifted. Got the all clear and we were off Pilot boat to my Starboard side it was just us on Breydon so on the ‘straight’ we opened her up to 3,000RPM and the Pilot boat went for it too but we left it in our wake as she climbed and climbed to over 24MPH - we throttles back to a sensible 10MPH and carried on our way. 

Approaching Reedham I had no answer of VHF which was odd as the LED sign said “Request to Open” so we moored and the waiting pontoon and hen the bridge began to open! (bridges and me not happy fellows) then the Reedham Chain Ferry - blimey would we have depth to get over chains - we did and so we set course to Brooms. 

Arrived and fuelled up and then the Broads Authority arrived on scene. They had been contacted about my boat and not having Tolls - so duly paid up all was well and the it began to snow! I recon I almost emptied Brooms of fuel and duly made my way to my berth - only to find they had no record of me being a berth holder. Holding station in river while dealing with Marina and all was finally sorted allocated and snug at her berth. 

Did I get lots of great video..? No. Sorry I was too busy helming and taking in the moment but I did get this snippets.

I will write more but please give me a day or two to catch up with sleep! Thank you all for being there even if just reading about it here ?

2139F0F0-E0AD-48F3-9F6B-6F1D64A4C42B.jpeg

19E13F25-075D-472F-BE70-1FFD40EC3444.jpeg

00532E56-2EB8-488B-8F4B-64D07C39975C.jpeg

24B47F58-FEEF-473A-A08F-D0A5D775323F.jpeg

Without being critical n I know it will seam like it but it really isn't , there is no way at all without a BSS that you have paid anything more than a short visit toll  , that is unfortunately how it is , you need that BSS n it should pass easy n as much , I know exactly who that is ie Edgar   his s a really nice guy good friend of me and team dog too n he's very fair , not that you have said he wasn't obviously , you simply can't pay a yrs tolls to the patrol guys but you can pay the whole lot to BA by phone but you need a BSS certificate number if its from another region such as the canal system etc , that's how it is.

Dont worry a out it they are quite nice if treat nice as iv always found , tons of BSS guys out there Tim W is a good one n very fair and reasonable .

Yea saw the request to open sign but had no opportunity to let you know as I too was going under the bridge and then mooring , least you got some pics or a PIC of her coming through ( is your horn broken :15_yum:). 

Anyway well done n here's to the next time she heads off In to the waves etc.   N I hope brooms refill before next week when I need some .

28 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Surely no-one would be so nasty as to jump on you for not having tolls? Who would contact BA over that?

I haven't commented on this thread, mostly because A) I have nothing useful to say, and B) I haven't understood most of the techy stuff! But now's the time to thank Robin for letting us all  "ride along", and what a ride! Well done to all involved, and I wish Robin well in his new "abode". It takes a brave man to make such a decision, and I take my hat off to him.

Should Robin not pay tolls then ?

is he exempt ?

I don’t think it’s a case of someone grassing him up, more a case and you may need to sit down with this theory...... the people who work for BA may have an interest in the Broads and have been watching this forum for a while 

its been on here for over a month of when Robin planned to arrive, so he has hardly sneaked in has he.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been a most interesting few days watching and hearing all the comments on the action, and could not believe that bridge not opening right at the last moment. Big congratulations to all of Indy's crew. What do they say about volunteering!  This was a massive effort with all the wrong weather situations. Just a proving trial? well it certainly proved something.  I expect we can now look forward to an epic 'Captains Blog' production.

• Like 3