Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

6 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Should Robin not pay tolls then ?

is he exempt ?

I don’t think it’s a case of someone grassing him up, more a case and you may need to sit down with this theory...... the people who work for BA may have an interest in the Broads and have been watching this forum for a while 

its been on here for over a month of when Robin planned to arrive, so he has hardly sneaked in has he.

I should imagine the guys at Peel Ports let the BA know that Robin had entered the Broads, nothing sinister, just co-operation.

• Like 7

Not at all, Snowy, but to leap on him as he arrives seems a bit harsh, I'm sure the tolls would have been paid as soon as Robin caught his breath! The point that leapt out to me was . . .

12 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

They had been contacted about my boat and not having Tolls

So someone other than BA was being, shall we say, picky?

6 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Should Robin not pay tolls then ?

is he exempt ?

I don’t think it’s a case of someone grassing him up, more a case and you may need to sit down with this theory...... the people who work for BA may have an interest in the Broads and have been watching this forum for a while 

its been on here for over a month of when Robin planned to arrive, so he has hardly sneaked in has he.

Of course he should, and as I presume he always has with Broad Ambition, fully intended on doing.

At the end of the day he was approached by BA to pay, which he duly did, this is all within a few hours of entering the broads system, I don't think it is a big enough issue to start derailing what has become a celebratory thread after a long hard journey.

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I should imagine the guys at Peel Ports let the BA know that Robin had entered the Broads, nothing sinister, just co-operation.

Or perhaps they too monitor the forums..........but then again we know they do so no surprise there then 

finny

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, finny said:

Or perhaps they too monitor the forums..........but then again we know they do so no surprise there then 

finny

As has been said earlier, Indy arriving on the Broads is public knowledge and has been for weeks now and suggesting someone 'snitched' is bad form IMO. unfortunately I have a bad feeling why they have jumped on Robin so quickly. Short visit tolls are 28 days max in any year and the yearly toll runs from April, but if you are compelled to buy a yearly toll in March you still pay the full year (totally unfair BA rule), and then AGAIN in April, Ouch!

Why don't the BA consider paying the toll like we do with car RFL (Tax) you buy on line, pay for the year and if you change or sell your boat it is cancelled and you get a refund, then have to tax your new boat?

Pretty simple, if it works for a few 10's of millions of cars it should work for a few thousand boats.

Just a thought !!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Islander said:

Robin will ONLY have to pay half a year as Indy will be registered aft Jan 1st ( whoopee). They will also credit what he paid the ranger.

Colin

Not as bad as I feared then

Actually although the fuel use seems huge to us pottering on the rivers with a BMC, when you take into account the size and power of the engines, the trip conditions and running time, plus a genny & heating running I suspect the calculations will be a comfort to Robin in that they will prove his engines are in fine health.

29 minutes ago, Islander said:

Robin will ONLY have to pay half a year as Indy will be registered aft Jan 1st ( whoopee). They will also credit what he paid the ranger.

Colin

Sorry Colin but that is for new build boats not existing ones coming from another system be it canal , river of sea , all of them are liable for the full yr right back to April last yr .

Now as much as I gat seams unfair an it is , but several have challenged that ruling and it doesn't work  , lots don't agree with it as a rule n hopefully they will join the mass of others that don't agree too after today , tolls for an incoming boat registered before Jan 1st 2018 anywhere on to the broads are due right back to the previous toll yr and it m quite sure BA's tolls dept will confirm all of that unfortunately .

My theory is that the ranger wanted to have a look at Indy and collecting tolls was a really good excuse. 

When Phill got one of the first Citoren XMs we were stopped three times by police in the first month, no telling off even, just a chat with one whilst the other was looking at the unique suspension! Lol

Rich, taken from BA tolls page.

1. Craft Registered between 1 January and 31 March
    New craft registered with the Authority, or craft being registered to a new owner and not previously licenced, on or after 1 January will recieve a 50% discount on the appropriate annual toll up to 31 March.

'new owner not previously licensed' is the important part. 

Have a look at the bottom of this page.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls/other-tolls

Colin:default_drinks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

There is always one little snide lurking in the bushes.

Well done to all crew and support team.

Alternatively BA could have been reading the thread the do read forums posts as is well documented , so instead of pointing the finger maybe its the fact it was broadcast loud n clear ,  that said I'm surprised they knew exactly where to be at a given time not forgetting that brooms also issue short visit tolls and its the first place you come to that does I believe on the yare entering at Yarmouth which could be proved .

33 minutes ago, Polly said:

My theory is that the ranger wanted to have a look at Indy and collecting tolls was a really good excuse. 

When Phill got one of the first Citoren XMs we were stopped three times by police in the first month, no telling off even, just a chat with one whilst the other was looking at the unique suspension! Lol

I had the same problem, 1991, new shape 3 series BMW,  thinking about it, that must be the year you mean as a rep got a citroen XM we both had the same problem.

5 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Alternatively BA could have been reading the thread the do read forums posts as is well documented , so instead of pointing the finger maybe its the fact it was broadcast loud n clear ,  that said I'm surprised they knew exactly where to be at a given time not forgetting that brooms also issue short visit tolls and its the first place you come to that does I believe on the yare entering at Yarmouth which could be proved .

Does this really mater now ? - I think not.

'Independence' is 'fully paid up' and on her intended, Broads-based mooring - objective achieved !!! . . . and let's please focus on the sterling efforts, combined skills and determination of the Owner and Crew alike in doing what they intended to do in the first place, not to mention the clear support and appreciation of this adventure from fellow forum members.

David.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, Islander said:

Rich, taken from BA tolls page.

1. Craft Registered between 1 January and 31 March
    New craft registered with the Authority, or craft being registered to a new owner and not previously licenced, on or after 1 January will recieve a 50% discount on the appropriate annual toll up to 31 March.

'new owner not previously licensed' is the important part. 

Have a look at the bottom of this page.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls/other-tolls

Colin:default_drinks:

On reading it again  I'll conceded that but it changes not a lot , only a short visit can be issued and only for 28 days , after which 50% of the annual toll is due and a BSS more importantly should be in place by that time otherwise a annual toll can't be issued ( ask anyone who forgot their BSS ran out n tried to toll their boat ) , that then puts you on a time limit to get it sorted , 

Iv a sneaky suspicion that Griff who liked this post I'm replying to knows this having registered a boat at the end of a yr but before Jan 1st .