Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

1 minute ago, DaveTatts said:

Does this really mater now ? - I think not.

'Independence' is 'fully paid up' and on her intended, Broads-based mooring - objective achieved !!! . . . and let's please focus on the sterling efforts, combined skills and determination of the Owner and Crew alike in doing what they intended to do in the first place, not to mention the clear support and appreciation of this adventure from fellow forum members.

David.

David it largely depends on what you class as fully paid up ? A short visit licence is nothing like that and as iv stated it is impossible to get a full how ever short ie 2 months licence without a BSS those are the rules end of , I can sew a lot of people who have been very vocal about some regarding BSS , tolls  etc suddenly relaxing the rules to suit the boat , n that is not on , one set of rules = all boats regardless .

4 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I believe the ranger said the BA office has been tracking the progress on AIS so would know exactly where he was.

And probably applauding a sterling bit of seamanship, experience, and knowing when to make for port and when to run home......

and with 3 grand of fuel, what is a couple of quid in tolls....

Hats off again team Indy...

:default_stinky:

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Alternatively BA could have been reading the thread the do read forums posts as is well documented , so instead of pointing the finger maybe its the fact it was broadcast loud n clear ,  that said I'm surprised they knew exactly where to be at a given time not forgetting that brooms also issue short visit tolls and its the first place you come to that does I believe on the yare entering at Yarmouth which could be proved .

Ricardo,  I agree,  shame they are not so hot on chasing ALL un tolled boats as they were in this case.

Good job Robin arrived on time or they would have had a long wait.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

And probably applauding a sterling bit of seamanship, experience, and knowing when to make for port and when to run home......

and with 3 grand of fuel, what is a couple of quid in tolls....

Hats off again team Indy...

:default_stinky:

Absolutely 'spot-on' DonnyGeoff !!! . . . :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

I had the same problem, 1991, new shape 3 series BMW,  thinking about it, that must be the year you mean as a rep got a citroen XM we both had the same problem.

I never got stopped when I had a Citroen XM - got a few speeding tickets though :default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

Ricardo,  I agree,  shame they are not so hot on chasing ALL un tolled boats as they were in this case.

Like all official bodies they will always go after the easy pickings, the law abiding citizen that will pay up.

If that patrol boat was due be in the Brundall area today then I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it was dispatched specifically then that needs some explaining IMO

6 minutes ago, 40something said:

Like all official bodies they will always go after the easy pickings, the law abiding citizen that will pay up.

If that patrol boat was due be in the Brundall area today then I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it was dispatched specifically then that needs some explaining IMO

I would say it was specifically dispatched, and my reason for that is quite simple

look at the interest independence has caused on here and allegedly on Facebook 

that’s a lot of people who already have a boat or are thinking about getting one

BA had to show they are on the ball, even if they are not on a lot of other things

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trouble is by doing that they were assuming that Robin was not going to toll his boat from today, which I believe he would have done of his own accord. Hence in reality it was a waste of resources which we all pay for via tolls.

So happy to see this happy conclusion to an amazing adventure which Robin (and Charlie, Howard etc) have let us be part of.

Robin, you’ve done something most of us only begin to dream off, fair play mate, I hope it’s everything you wanted and more, and if you’re not bored of visitors, maybe Ems and I will come and say hi at the latter part of the season.

well done all involved, you’ve represented the friendly forum in the most amazing way possible!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

But if you knew you would know that they do just that chase ALL un tolled  boats , no one escape's  they prosecute all of them as reports show such as the CEs report usually in Feb /march .

What is annoying is folk thinking they are picking on one person n that's not the case at all , a,short visit licence you can spot from  Norwich to brundall they are that big + no reg no is a dead give away , a time limit is now in place to get it sorted so that's reasonable in my book , its not as if it was an instant fixed penalty fine as it would probse be in a highway .

All this talk about tolls, short visit tolls, BSS, snitches etc is pretty unnecessary to be honest. Team Indy have just completed a most extraordinary voyage that should be celebrated and has been a shared enjoyable experience for many. The rest is just the paperwork. Anyone who has taken the time to follow Robin's adventure from the start will know he is a man of principle and how much research he does. The paperwork is Robin's business, but I have no doubt that Indy wouldn't have been without a toll, even short visit, for long, and I'm equally certain the plans for getting a BSS in a timely manner are well in place. The preparation for the voyage and it's success is testament to the planning so far.

The BA would have been damned if they did and damned if they didn't with such a public arrival, so probably had little choice ultimately.

Carry on celebrating getting your boat to The Broads and the rest will still be there in a few days when hopefully we get to share the further tales of maintenance, updates and care.:default_beerchug:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

But if you knew you would know that they do just that chase ALL un tolled  boats

come on Rick......

this fred is about a bloke who thought about buying a boat, bought a boat, from down south, cos he liked it, as a southerner he asked a northerner to help him bring the boat to Norfolk, the northern bloke said yes, the southern bloke was happy, they brought the boat to Norfolk, they arrived and got told, you need to have a visitor short time toll, he bought it, he fuelled his boat with a years worth of mortgage for me, he is happy, northern bloke was tiling a bathroom when it all ended. There is a button on here where you can start any fred you want.. untolled boats, un BSS boats, uninsured boats, boats with no sails, boat with sails, boats with oars.

lets leave anything apart from what this fred is about to other ones...

:default_beerchug:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The BA would have been damned if they did and damned if they didn't with such a public arrival, so probably had little choice ultimately.

Fair point.

I am also sure all the paperwork would have been in good order promptly.

Time to,  in the words of Frozen.  "Let it go,  let it go".

I have watched it twice today with my little granddaughter,  :default_coat:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Fair point.

I am also sure all the paperwork would have been in good order promptly.

Time to,  in the words of Frozen.  "Let it go,  let it go".

I have watched it twice today with my little granddaughter,  :default_coat:

was in the pub just before Christmas, kids party upstairs, two "entertainers" walked in, in their costumes, I said it must be cold outside, they said it is, I said you look Frozen......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

come on Rick......

this fred is about a bloke who thought about buying a boat, bought a boat, from down south, cos he liked it, as a southerner he asked a northerner to help him bring the boat to Norfolk, the northern bloke said yes, the southern bloke was happy, they brought the boat to Norfolk, they arrived and got told, you need to have a visitor short time toll, he bought it, he fuelled his boat with a years worth of mortgage for me, he is happy, northern bloke was tiling a bathroom when it all ended. There is a button on here where you can start any fred you want.. untolled boats, un BSS boats, uninsured boats, boats with no sails, boat with sails, boats with oars.

lets leave anything apart from what this fred is about to other ones...

:default_beerchug:

Donny  Geoff , I'm sorry but if I'm asked a,question I tend to answer it and likewise if I see something thats inaccurate I will say so , no I'm not sure how long you think iv been on the rivers her continuously but its a long time , i know the rules and I know who breaks them and more importantly I know who pays the price for that  , to have someone suggest that others get away with it when its clear they don't and I know they don't simply because a ranger had a word n knowing Edgar it would have been fair yet firm , I really don't see the issue at all , threads do off topic now and again and to be honest its not off topic at all , of cause I can start a thread of my own if I chose to do so and indeed o have many times. The difference is mine tend to be informative that's all , as a member and one who sees much more than most especially in the winter months I like to be as helpful as I can be in informing others of potential problem's , upgrades etc etc , and I see no problem in that , , now that doesn't mean I have to remain silent when I see an inaccuracy voiced now does it  ? Had BA Known of independence coming to the Broads then I doubt nothing more than a cheerful wave would have been seen from the ranger and that would be that , but rangers have a job to do and part of that is licence enforcement for all boats regardless of anything , and you can have my word they certainly do enforce it regardless of who says what , after all who more likely to know someone on the river every so often or some one on the river ever day of the year ?  

1 hour ago, 40something said:

So find out the answer , I use the yare a lot n there are regular patrols trust me I know there are as 99% of the time I end up talking to the rangers not for the reason your probably thinking but the fact that the rangers appreciate that others are their eyes and ears when not on patrol mostly involving speeding as proven not so long back .