Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Thank you for that link to YBW, which I have not read before. Interesting to read opinions from what I might call "sea going" people. They also speak rather kindly about the way we are on this forum.

I just wanted to say that I am not at all surprised if Doug was seasick. I am pretty certain I would have been as well!

By sheer luck, I am someone who is not normally seasick. I have been on a RFA landing ship when we got caught out in the North Sea in a violent storm 11. We were hove to off the Norwegian coast for three days and nights before it blew over. I found I wasn't even queasy, even though the waves that were missing us were coming past at the height of the ship's bridge.

The only times I have been sick (in the Channel) was in vessels of similar size to Independence - MFVs of 60 to 70ft. I think this is why a lot of lifeboatmen are sick in rough weather. Vessels of this size are the worst for motion sickness. A small yacht seems nowhere near so bad.

This is why I always say I never go to sea in anything less than 7000 tons!

• Like 6

Thankfully I have never been seasick. I came down the Baltic once in what we were told by the ferry Captain was a force twelve. A Norwegian ferry, a smorgasbord was being laid out for the evening's festivities. One of the stewards made a snide comment to the effect that I would not be back to enjoy the offerings. Not being a lad to avoid a challenge involving food or drink I duly turned up on time, there was just the Captain, myself and one other steward confronted with an acre of fine food, that was some feast! When we landed all the ventilators had been turned on full blast and the smell of seasickness along the quay was overpowering, that did make me retch but since I was by then on dryland I wasn't actually seasick! My deepest sympathies go to anyone who suffers though.

• Like 3

Some quite judgemental statements made elsewhere but then that tends to be the nature of Forums. At least you can get an idea of what to expect before participating.

I am sure you will very soon refind your initial enthusiasm for "Indi" but a boat will always be a big part of your life regardless of size. Even if not used it continues to be a big drain on the finances.

What you can look forward to is a beautiful warm summer during which you can get to know & love the new gal in your life. As some have mentioned, parking for a few months in the marina at Lowestoft might enrich your first year ..... at least you will be able to easily do some coastal hopping in hopefully somewhat calmer waters than your first trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My father spend 22 years in the RN. Went over in the hovercraft from Ramsgate (Pegwell Bay) to France. On the way back it reached as high as the craft could cope with and he was seasick, Mum was fine. He never lived that on down. In fairness a lot of his service was below the waves.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just read the whole thread over on YBW - Need to go for a lie down in a dark room now.

Oh hang on though, MrsG is in the shower. I'll just jump in there with her - much more fun! :default_norty:  but the result will be more of :default_shocked1animated:  or  :default_gbxhmm:  but definitely  :default_coat:

Griff

Be interested in Mrs G's verdict! Eleven o'clock on a Sunday morning, where do you find the energy?

• Haha 1

The way this is being played out on the YBW by some is that Griff is a delivery skipper and Robin is merely the owner who just happened to be onboard .

For what my thoughts are worth ( which is usually less than  absolutely nothing ) I would be choosing to steer well clear of it other than to put the record straight on the situation .

10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I didn't think the bit about Doug ( brundall navy) was interesting more disrespectful , that said I didn't read all 25 pages .

That said your right Peter you have to trust your boat and its systems come to think of it .

Me quoting Doug on the other forum was in no way mocking him or trying to be disrespectful, I used the snippet to show a "First hand" description of the bad conditions from someone who was on the boat and a very experienced sailor. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

The way this is being played out on the YBW by some is that Griff is a delivery skipper and Robin is merely the owner who just happened to be onboard .

For what my thoughts are worth ( which is usually less than  absolutely nothing ) I would be choosing to steer well clear of it other than to put the record straight on the situation .

That isn't the case, we know Doug wasn't a delivery skipper and that it was a bunch of friends moving a boat. It's just nice to hear about trips like this from the people that actually did it and not second hand. That was also not a dig at Robin, i enjoy reading and watching his blogs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

What the YBW doesn't know of course, is the relationship between Robin, Griff, Broad Ambition and all their friends.

Griff has described himself as the skipper and I think that is fair in the circumstances. Was it a delivery? Yes in theory, but the owner was also on board. I think the way they inter-acted, as to who was responsible for what, was most reasonable.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

What the YBW doesn't know of course, is the relationship between Robin, Griff, Broad Ambition and all their friends.

Griff has described himself as the skipper and I think that is fair in the circumstances. Was it a delivery? Yes in theory, but the owner was also on board. I think the way they inter-acted, as to who was responsible for what, was most reasonable.

Vaughan what I actually ment was in commercial professional capacity as has been indicated on the ybw , I think on here we pretty much know the ins and outs , my apologies for not being clearer in my original post .

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

We do know the details of the setup, Robin has told us all. We or I, just would like to hear about the last part of the trip (Dover onward)  when Robin wasn't on board from someone who was. Please don't think anyone is being disrespectful as that definitely not the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We or I, just would like to hear about the last part of the trip (Dover onward)  when Robin wasn't on board from someone who was.

Robin will be along in due course no doubt.  He will be putting together his blog in the normal manner.  Once he has done that and got us up to date I will do a small write up on the Dover to GYA section.  It'd be no good me jumping in with it just now as that would put the thread out of sequence.  Besides as I've stated before this is Robins adventure which he has kindly / generously taken the lot of us along with him, I am just one of the normal guests along for the ride

Hope you understand

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Well I have just got back from Brundall and it was cold, windy and wet but I got some jobs done. Spotted Indy on her very nice mooring and although obviously a big boat she does not look out of place.

Pity the transit of Independence wasn't this weekend .

It's like millpond out there today.

Brilliant sunshine and can see France as clear as day

The fisheries protection vessel is moored in the bay about six miles out and it is slclear you can almost read it's number

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrB said:

Griff, could you post your take on the delivery here .

You are getting quite a cult following, it would be nice to hear about it first hand you legend lol.:default_biggrin::1310_thumbsup_tone1:

We’ve just noticed the link in the above post 

Please note the link in this post has been removed as it contravenes forum guidelines

Cross-forum links 

Due to a long-standing arrangement between forums, links to other Norfolk Broads forums will be automatically moderated by the forum software. Any links via URL-shortening services which ultimately resolve to such a site will also be removed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

We’ve just noticed the link in the above post 

Please note the link in this post has been removed as it contravenes forum guidelines

Cross-forum links 

Due to a long-standing arrangement between forums, links to other Norfolk Broads forums will be automatically moderated by the forum software. Any links via URL-shortening services which ultimately resolve to such a site will also be removed.

Fair enough, but YBW isn't a Norfolk Broads forum, far from it. Your rules so all cool.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Griffs report would be,

It was rough,  we put our big coats on and did it. :default_biggrin::default_beerchug:

Whhhoooaaa tiger.....Yorkshire men putting big coats on???

They didn't go via the Arctic circle...conditions were wholly awful, but I'd be surprised if the 'long trousers' rule was even enacted....:default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just back home from a weekend onboard Independence - lots to sort out, just begun to edit the Blog for this adventure, I am not sure I am happy about the footage I have captured but it is what it is, new camera, new mic set-up bound to be teething problems.

I am not regretting buying Independence, but sometimes I can share a little too much 'in the moment' and people hang on to everything I have said as if gospel, but actually half an hour later I am back to myself. I will say this, there is not the emotional bond and feeling I thought I might have to the boat, she is lovely but she is a real social boat and you need that element of people onboard and being part of the experience - even if just a cruise down the river - without it it is a very large space and can be a little overwhelming when their are only two of you and having to literally shout out from the back cabin tot he front to be heard.

As to YBW people take it all too seriously I am going to deal with that as well but that really is just the side show and keeps me interested reading peoples latest opinions about stabilisers and risks.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1