Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

11 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

My friends boat had a “Day tank” fuel was pumped from the main tanks into the day tank and it was this tank that fed the engines and generator, could this be what you have.

Doug.

Doug has just hit the proverbial nail on the head here.  Standard marine practice be it ships or boats is to have what is called a daily service tank. In the case of your boat this would be the centre tank which would feed everything and all returns lead back to it. The port and stbd tanks would then effectively become bunker tanks that you fill the daily service tank from as required , alternating between port and stbd on every tramsfer. This would of course require a fuel transfer pump but the conversion would be relatively simple. It is also common practice to fit a filtration system into the transfer lines discharging to the DST. On big ships this is done using something called an alfa laval centrifugal separator. Obviously  not practical on a boat but a polishing system could be fitted in lieu.

this method allows minimal cross contamination and the ability to control the trim.

The last ship i was chief on had 7 bunker tanks and the DST had a capacity of 4500 litres which would keep the main engine going at full power for about 30 hours.

Just an insight into how it is done at sea on both military and merchant ships and boats and may be a possible method to consider.

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I have a Teak blind, I went to raise it and it broke - I posted this on my own Facebook page - I was all set to get a new custom blind manufactured and get the boatyard (who happen to be distributors and fitters) to have it done - but several people said 'woah hold on' it could be fixed with a part from another blind don't do anything yet. I have held fire, but I am itching to get it sorted as I don't like the aesthetic of a blind stick half up and half down lol.

Robin, if you know what part of the blind you need, I have parts for all sorts of wooden blinds where I have stripped them down to make baby BA, I may have the part you need.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

Robin, I am loving you following your dreams. Ignore the negative comments. I have been reading your posts and watching your videos for years now and it has npbeen obvious that this is what you needed. Go for it, enjoy it and don’t let anyone else detract from it. 

Well said that man ...... this thread is neither the place or time for negativity and i'm not really sure why they do it.

Keep your end goal in focus and enjoy the challenges/learning curve of your journey.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Robin, I am loving you following your dreams. Ignore the negative comments. I have been reading your posts and watching your videos for years now and it has npbeen obvious that this is what you needed. Go for it, enjoy it and don’t let anyone else detract from it.

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

Well said that man ...... this thread is neither the place or time for negativity and i'm not really sure why they do it.

Keep your end goal in focus and enjoy the challenges/learning curve of your journey.

Can someone point out where this negativity is ?? All I can see is help and advice i see nothing negative at all , sure not everyone may agree that Robins approach to things but its up to him its his life and his money , however some people may wish to ask a question or 2 as I did last night , now if asking why such a large vessel is now deemed by some as negative then I find that both rude and insulting to the person asking a perfectly normal question , like I said I can't see any negativity on this thread at all and posts like the 2 iv quoted do nothing for the harmony of this thread or the forum they purely serve to ridicule others for A- asking a question and B- having a different point of view neither of which are negative in anyway what so ever . 

11 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Can someone point out where this negativity is ?? All I can see is help and advice i see nothing negative at all , sure not everyone may agree that Robins approach to things but its up to him its his life and his money , however some people may wish to ask a question or 2 as I did last night , now if asking why such a large vessel is now deemed by some as negative then I find that both rude and insulting to the person asking a perfectly normal question , like I said I can't see any negativity on this thread at all and posts like the 2 iv quoted do nothing for the harmony of this thread or the forum they purely serve to ridicule others for A- asking a question and B- having a different point of view neither of which are negative in anyway what so ever . 

You and I clearly see/read things differently.

Helpful advice would be practical solutions/encouragement to the various issues Robin is encountering.

Negativity would be sugesting he would have been better of choosing something smaller and less expensive after his not inconsiderable investment has already been made. Neither of those two options are helpful and some might view them as negative and unhelpful!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Negativity would be sugesting he would have been better of choosing something smaller and less expensive after his not inconsiderable investment has already been made. Neither of those two options are helpful and some might view them as negative and unhelpful!

Sorry but please quote exactly where I said he had bought the wrong boat I merely pointed out while I was asking why so  big that lots of others live afloat for extended periods and cross oceans on smaller boats , not once did I imply anything else ,there is nothing negative in anyway in stating that fact , as iv said its entirely up to Robin , but if everyone that wishes to ask a question is viewed by some as being negative then that's wrong in my book this is a discussion forum after all .

Incidentally if you look throughout the thread you will see help and advice from myself. 

I have just re-read some of the comments, and can't see anyone being particularly negative. One can hardly suggest that asking questions are negative. People are perfectly polite in the way they ask their intelligent questions.

I, for one, was wondering about how such a large (and dare I say splendid)  vessel will manage on the Broads? I would be interested to know how the Captain will negotiate the Broads in the height of the season, in particular finding moorings that are usually pretty full. It also crossed my mind that the depth of some of the rivers might be an issue. As someone relatively new to the Broads, compared to the majority of you, these seemingly trivial matters are of interest. Socrates himself (see also Monty Python song) employed the method of questioning when seeking knowledge. It is hardly a negative way to find things out.

It is a sad reflection of our culture that some people regard opposing views and opinions to their own as being negative. It is via engaging with those who take a different view that we can learn. Unless, that is, one is so arrogant as to assume they know everything.  I would have expected more of this forum than a resistance to healthy and polite questioning. Such self-opinionated narrow minded rhetoric can be found on certain Broads related pages on other social media. I am sure some of you have ventured on such pages, 

The project is a major undertaking on so many levels, and I take my hat off to someone who is brave enough to do it. Our little restoration of BG fades into insignificance alongside this gargantuan task. Us mere mortals would tremble at the prospect of an undertaking such as this. Please keep the posts and questions flowing, challenging assumptions is healthy. I love hearing the different views of the experts on this page, it is a leaning experience for those of us who are on the bottom rung of the boating ladder. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

Ricardo, Not all questions are equal! Some questions are best left unasked!

If its polite and reasonable what is the problem ? Asking is how one learns is it not ?

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

If its polite and reasonable what is the problem ? Asking is how one learns is it not ?

As per John's post above. Merry Christmas all. :default_beerchug: :default_coat:

14 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

As per John's post above. Merry Christmas all. :default_beerchug: :default_coat:

16 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

Oh look a new moderator thanks for your input .

54 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I merely pointed out while I was asking why so  big that lots of others live afloat for extended periods and cross oceans on smaller boats

Ricardo, 

the simple answer is,  because he can.

It is Robins journey and he is sharing it with us,  he isn't seeking advice or approval, simply sharing his story.

He did his homework,  made is decision and bought his dream boat and bloody good luck to him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Ricardo, 

It is Robins journey and he is sharing it with us,  he isn't seeking advice or approval, simply sharing his story.

He did his homework,  made is decision and bought his dream boat and bloody good luck to him.

Look point out to me via quoting me exactly where I have said anything negative ! Plenty have and u don't see them quoted , and do bear in mind on more that one occasion iv actually tried to assist Robin , and yet because I ask a perfectly straight forward question in a polite manner then that's negative ? If you look at one of my last posts yesterday you will clearly see I wished him well in his endeavours that is hardy negative is it ! Edited to say this he has asked advice in the past via video and text and lots including me have given that based on experience .

11 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Look point out to me via quoting me exactly where I have said anything negative ! Plenty have and u don't see them quoted , and do bear in mind on more that one occasion iv actually tried to assist Robin , and yet because I ask a perfectly straight forward question in a polite manner then that's negative ? If you look at one of my last posts yesterday you will clearly see I wished him well in his endeavours that is hardy negative is it ! Edited to say this he has asked advice in the past via videotape and text and lots including me have given that based on experience .

I refer the honorable forum member to my previous answer.

21 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Ricardo, 

1 hour ago, Hockham Admiral said:

PLEASE, peeps, it's Christmas Day in 36 hours!

You are so right and most of our members will be deployed in the kitchen either peeling sprouts or washing up as if there was no tomorrow.    That'll keep them occupied.   Goodness I am beginning to sound like Edie Pegden, played by Dame Thora Hird.in Last of the Summer Wine.

Now come on whose on bar duty?

• Like 1

Interesting, I never gave mentioned who my comment was about! Yet some have very quickly felt the need to defend themselves! Merry Christmas. 
Yet another fascinating thread has turned into petty squabbling over next to nothing, evidencing total lack of tolerance and respect for others' views in a time of supposedly good will to all men.

Goodbye all.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Q:- or a Nimbus 2000

I had no idea what a Nimbus 2000 was,   :default_dunce:   I did mean to google it but forgot.  However I'm actually on a full day off from tiling duties today so I'm assisting Commander-in-Chief Home (Cincnavhome) with various tasks, I sat down for five minutes with a shoreside coffee (Negative Rum injection) the TV is showing one of the Harry Potter films, and there it was in a shop window - a 'Nimbus 2000'  Fancy that eh?  So as a result I now know what a Nimbus 2000 is.  Just goes to show, everyday is a school day :default_icon_e_smile:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always wanted to know what a Nimbus was. Now I know. Have no interest in Harry Potter films, so will just break out my box set of the 1970's series of Sailor. I think what we need on this site is a good old  Joss. Now, Christmas quiz time: who can tell me what a Joss is? (Stand fast Griff)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

As in "His joss ran out".

In the Navy it also means the master at arms. On a big ship he would be a "fleet Chief" assisted by a regulating petty officer known as "the jaunty". He would be assisted by a leading rate of the regulating branch, known as "the crusher".

So what does that make "Bound to Please", I wonder?