You will probably notice that there is still work to do on the hatches, they will be finished with hardwood quadrants to create a neat seal with the decks and then sanded, painted and varnished.

We will return after Easter to finish the hatches and cabin sides. There is also the massive task of making the new sliding roof as well as painting and varnishing. Despite the prophets of doom, we fully intend to be in the water by 14th May and cruising a few days later. Optimistic?  We love a challenge.

IMG_2220.JPG

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Keep it up! She is looking great. I'm enjoying this thread. I have pipe dreams of wooden boat ownership!

Well, you should think about a wooden boat as there are some around at a decent price. We had a boat budget and decided that rather than spend it all on a boat we would buy a project and use the money we had saved for restoration. In our view, this gives us a win win situation, we enjoy the cruising in the summer and the restoration in the winter. Also, it is a chance to learn new skills, discover history and get enormous satisfaction from seeing the results. BTW you never own a wooden boat, you are just the custodian for a while! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, socrates said:

If you visit Liverpool you will soon encounter someone who is an expert on football or a comedian. In the same way, a visit to the Broads will result in encounters with people who have a similar expertise about boats. They are more than happy to tell you all about the time they crossed Breydon Water in a force 10, or how they were planking wooden boats when they were five years old. Like the football pundits of Liverpool, the boating experts of Norfolk tend to be short on knowledge and big on talk.

Wherever you got this unfortunate impression it was not from this forum, since I have read back over all 5 pages of the thread and can find nothing except encouragement as well as congratulation.

Whilst we are all enjoying your updates on your project, we respect your wish not to have comment or advice on it since you have told us that you had a bad experience earlier. We in turn, would ask you not to make such generalisations about a skilled and traditional trade.

For what it's worth I was not planking boats when I was 5 years old, since boatbuilding was a seven year apprentice-ship, but I was given the job of dowelling the screw holes, as per your photos, when I was 7 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Wherever you got this unfortunate impression it was not from this forum, since I have read back over all 5 pages of the thread and can find nothing except encouragement as well as congratulation.

Whilst we are all enjoying your updates on your project, we respect your wish not to have comment or advice on it since you have told us that you had a bad experience earlier. We in turn, would ask you not to make such generalisations about a skilled and traditional trade.

For what it's worth I was not planking boats when I was 5 years old, since boatbuilding was a seven year apprentice-ship, but I was given the job of dowelling the screw holes, as per your photos, when I was 7 years old.

Where did that come from ? Calm down I'm certain that the OP didn't meant to upset anyone , but the fact remains in the past comments have been made with earshot of the OP and he's not named anyone and nor will I in spite of knowing , one of the major profits of doom isn't a forum member but trust me iv seen the scepticism first hand  , as a boat builder both for company's and under my own name I'd be the first to defend trades , I don't see any animosity at all cos if I did anyone who knows me would expect me to jump in n they wouldn't be disappointed .

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Vaughan - you seem to take this personally for some reason. I note that you use the  "We" rather than "I". I am not making generalisations about anyone., it is a mere observation. Perhaps it was a bit too much of my Scouse humour which you misunderstood. Like I said, we are all comedians and football experts here. 

It is best I say nothing further.

17 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Where did that come from ? Calm down I'm certain that the OP didn't meant to upset anyone , but the fact remains in the past comments have been made with earshot of the OP and he's not named anyone and nor will I in spite of knowing , one of the major profits of doom isn't a forum member but trust me iv seen the scepticism first hand  , as a boat builder both for company's and under my own name I'd be the first to defend trades , I don't see any animosity at all cos if I did anyone who knows me would expect me to jump in n they wouldn't be disappointed .

The fact being the previous owners attempted to convince us that the hatch had been built by a "qualified and experienced boat builder", they paid a lot of money for the said hatch. Further more they were told by the said boat builder to place wet towels over the hatch in order to stop it warping in the sun! Now that is what I call expert advice.( OR MAYBE THEY WERE RIPPED OFF?)

My comment was an attempt at humour which has clearly annoyed Vaughan and those he represents. It was not intended to do so. People who have seen the old hatch will know exactly what I was hinting at. 

For the sake of harmony, I have attempted to remove that part of the OP, but I am unable to do so. 

Perhaps we can close this matter before it gets silly?

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Force 14 in thick fog?  That's nowt, sometime I will tell you when I took 'B.A' outside of the marked channel on Breydon where we promptly came face to face with the legendary but rarely seen Breydon Kracken :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

Yo are not alone :default_beerchug:

OK time to come clean :51_scream: , its me Mr hatch or Tony to those that remember Crossroad's :default_biggrin:.

Yea I have a bit of history with ripple craft being responsible for the new front screens to broad land lapwing along with both hatch's and the bespoke interior + a lot more .

So there we go the cats out of the bag now and yes I'm going to be doing the sliding roof cabin sides too .

Regarding this previous hatch iv seen it ,  in fact I was asked by BGs previous owners who I also know personally to replace it but sadly I was way too busy at that point , The OPs description of it is pretty much spot on but iv  idea who made it but if it had been me I'd have given up n thrown all my tools in the river :default_coat:

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Force 14 in thick fog?  That's nowt, sometime I will tell you when I took 'B.A' outside of the marked channel on Breydon where we promptly came face to face with the legendary but rarely seen Breydon Kracken :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

That’s nothing :default_icon_liar:

12 hours ago, Ricardo said:

OK time to come clean :51_scream: , its me Mr hatch or Tony to those that remember Crossroad's :default_biggrin:.

Yea I have a bit of history with ripple craft being responsible for the new front screens to broad land lapwing along with both hatch's and the bespoke interior + a lot more .

So there we go the cats out of the bag now and yes I'm going to be doing the sliding roof cabin sides too .

Regarding this previous hatch iv seen it ,  in fact I was asked by BGs previous owners who I also know personally to replace it but sadly I was way too busy at that point , The OPs description of it is pretty much spot on but iv  idea who made it but if it had been me I'd have given up n thrown all my tools in the river :default_coat:

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

Blimey, you kept that quiet. I didn't know you did boat building! :default_coat:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2