58 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Blimey, you kept that quiet. I didn't know you did boat building! :default_coat:

Oh yea for many yrs I just don't shout about it , but in this instance since the clients ( good friends) were delighted as luckily all my clients have been given that they are forum members I decided to come clean or we could have end up with a sweepstake as to who Mr hatch is :15_yum: .

41 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Oh yea for many yrs I just don't shout about it , but in this instance since the clients ( good friends) were delighted as luckily all my clients have been given that they are forum members I decided to come clean or we could have end up with a sweepstake as to who Mr hatch is :15_yum: .

Loving this tread ...............and i shall be keeping a good eye - just to make sure the grain flows :default_biggrin: i know its a busy task and when you get in the zone and things but more piccys would nice ...anyway keep up the good work 

finny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Everything is stacked against you, but for some reason some silly chaps seem to be driven to it......"

Sir Christopher Cockerell wrote these words when describing the process of inventing the hovercraft. Such words can equally be said about restoring a wooden boat they certainly apply in our case. With another few days until we are down working on BG with our (no longer) mysterious friend of hatch fame- Ricardo. 

In the meantime, I thought I would follow Aristotle's example, by providing some history of Ripplecraft boats and Broadland Grebe (for those who like such things). I know there are several members of this forum who know far more about the history of the Broads than I do, so please feel free to correct and contribute as and when. I would be more than glad to receive any information ad pictures. For the sake of brevity, and me having to do other things, I will write this in several parts.

Ripplecraft was a company set up by Christopher Cockerell in 1950, at Oulton Broad. Cockerell was working for the electronics company Marconi, where he and his team had designed and built the R1155 and T115 radio transmitters and receivers as used by RAF Bomber Command. My late father flew in the Wellington and Lancaster with Bomber and Coastal Command as a radio operator/navigator, so I was aware of the importance of Cockerell's inventions for direction finding. I was also familiar with the concept of radio and direction finding from my previous life in the Royal Navy working with radar and associated equipment. Of course, Cockerell's most well-known invention was the hovercraft, there is one on the top of the memorial at Somerleyton. 

Initially building caravans,the first Ripplecraft boats designed by Cockerell came out of the yard at Oulton Broad in 1951. I have been told that Cockerell also purchased boats from E W Jackson and this is how the names of the later boats came about. These sailing boats, which he rented out were: Widgeon, Sheldrake, Heron and Tern. He then started designing 24 foot motor cruisers which were built through the years 1952-56. Again, from what I have been told, they were named Widgeon (2), Pintail, Mallard, Goldeneye and Shelduck. According to a Blakes brochure of 1955, these boats were fitted with Ford 10hp petrol engines. However, someone told me they had Morris 8hp engines. Someone may be able to shed some light on these boats as to whether there are any still around. I have copies of pictures of these boats but not sure if I can post them here due to copyright (advice needed, please). 

In 1953, Ripplecaft relocated to Somerleyton, where the company took over the staithe of the old brickworks (1880-1939). At this point I am somewhat confused. According to one source there were huts there from World War 2, another source claims that Cockerell purchased the ex-Army sheds and moved them to Somerleyton. Whatever the story, the sheds are still there and BG is in one of them. 

Once the work on the small boats had been completed, work began on larger cruisers. These cruisers were to be state of the art for their day, described as: "Streamlined luxury, fully lined, all weather boats." At 32' 6", with 6 berths, they were designed to go under every bridge on the Broads (subject to tides), and were fitted with a fully sliding roof. They were powered by the Lister Freedom marine diesel engine. Between 1956 and 1966, 10 of these boats were constructed to Cockerell's  innovative streamlined design. It was the lines of the boat that appealed to me, when I first saw the Ripplecraft it reminded me of the shape of the Sir Nigel Gresley's A4 Pacific locomotive which I have much admired since a child. (Yes, I am a locomotive enthusiast, not to be confused with a train spotter)

During my somewhat limited research, I have discovered that there are various accounts of when Broadland  Grebe was built. There is a degree of confusion about the names of the boats linked to the registration numbers. Thus, we are unable to categorically say the exact date of the building and completion of BG, it is either 1958 or 1960, depending on who you ask and where the information comes from. I have been informed that there was some sort of re-naming of boats for "tax purposes". Two boats were transferred to other yards on the Broads, Broadland Curlew being sold to Maidencraft of Thorpe and Broadland Falcon became Broadland Kingfisher when she moved to Jenners of Thorpe. Broadland Kingfisher was later re-named Gay Brigand, but returned to Ripplecraft to be named Broadland Heron. Perhaps someone else knows the story? 

The information we have obtained comes from a variety of sources, we met a chap called Dave at Potter who has a Ripplecraft, Broadland Swift, which is currently undergoing restoration. He seemed to be an authority on the boats, as did another chap, also called Dave, who restores wooden boats and has a collection of Blakes brochures from the time. I love reading the description of the boats which have "stainless steel sinks", "full size gas oven", and "ice box". In 1969, at  £14.7s (per person) high season, the cost of hiring these boats was not cheap, given the average wage was around £30 per week. 

Another Ripplecraft is Broadland Lapwing, which has been fully restored. Lapwing, at 35' 6", is longer than the rest of the class and the last to be built at Somerleyton. I will say nothing more about Lapwing because Ricardo will know much more. By 1970, no wooden boats were being built at Somerleyton but there was a boat by the name of Dabchick which was converted from Broadland Teal. Dabchick appears in Blake's brochure of 1971, but I know very little else about her. Ripplecraft introduced fibreglass cruisers in 1970, these were Bermuda 35's named Tahiti and a Caribbean class named Barracuda, both these boats were transferred to France in 1977. By 1977, Ripplecraft had also acquired 15 boats from the Fowler's fleet which had been based at Oulton Broad. 

Of course I could be wrong here, any help would be much appreciated. As far as I am aware the only survivors are: Broadland Lapwing, based at Belaugh and fully restored, Broadland Kestrel, based at Oulton Broad but not usable, Broadland Swift, based at Potter and undergoing restoration, and Broadland Grebe. According to the rumour mill, there are a couple on the Thames or the Medway. An unconfirmed source informed me that Broadland Falcon was sold for £16000 around 2006, and is now being use as a livaboard on the Thames or Medway. 

Although the history of BG may not be as long as many of the other boats on the Broads, I do think it is a unique piece of Broads history given the design and the links to Sir Christopher Cockerell. I have some photographs of BG and other Ripplecrafts, but will not post them as I do not hold the copyright to them. As I said, the information here is from a variety of sources, most of which can't be fully verified. I therefore am unable to accept full responsibility for the accuracy. Should any member have any other information, Ii will be most grateful. A visit to the Museum of the Broads left us somewhat bereft, when we were told they had not heard of Ripplecraft. I am now putting together some information for them to display. 

Braodland Grebe left the hire fleet in or around 1985, she had two previous custodians before us. I know nothing of her first owner, but know her previous owners. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Fascinating :91_thumbsup: I had no idea about the Christopher Cockrell connection.

In my youth I used to spend hours poring over the Blakes catalogue waiting for the next Broads holiday and I've always liked the design of the old Ripplecraft cruisers but never realised their pedigree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for that most interesting history.

I can just remember Christopher Cockerell, as a tall and very well dressed man. He knew my father quite well, because of the Blakes connection.

I was always told that his first hovercraft was a biscuit tin, with an aero-modelling engine and propellor, which he launched down the slipway at the yard in Somerleyton.

I am not surprised that the Broads Museum had not heard of Ripplecraft as the history of the yards in that area is very confusing and I have forgotten most of it myself!

The original Beaver Fleet yard was in St Olaves and I think it is the same one that Alphacraft later operated. Keith Gregory, who was Tom Watson's chief accountant in the days of Jenners, bought Beaver Fleet and took the lease on the Ripplecraft yard, which he also called Beaver Fleet. He then started operations in France on the Canal du Midi in Port Cassafieres and re-named the business Crown Cruisers. He later bought Blue Line, so it became Crown Blue Line in France but the Somerleyton yard did all his building, staying as Crown Cruisers. There was also a connection with Rank for a short time when they owned Richardons and marketed the hiring as Freshfields Holidays.

Sorry I can't remember any more of it and might have got some of it wrong anyway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 1965 Blakes brochure lists 9 boats in the Broadland Swan class (which includes Broadland Grebe).  It also lists Broadland Falcon and Broadland Kingfisher and Broadland Heron so there seems to be some confusion in the account of movement between boatyards and renaming! 

Broadland Curlew is not listed at all which probably ccounts for the difference between the 10 that were built and the 9 in the Blakes catalogue. Maidencraft weren't a Blakes boatyard so I have no idea whether she was in their fleet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, socrates said:

"Everything is stacked against you, but for some reason some silly chaps seem to be driven to it......"

Sir Christopher Cockerell wrote these words when describing the process of inventing the hovercraft. Such words can equally be said about restoring a wooden boat they certainly apply in our case. With another few days until we are down working on BG with our (no longer) mysterious friend of hatch fame- Ricardo. 

In the meantime, I thought I would follow Aristotle's example, by providing some history of Ripplecraft boats and Broadland Grebe (for those who like such things). I know there are several members of this forum who know far more about the history of the Broads than I do, so please feel free to correct and contribute as and when. I would be more than glad to receive any information ad pictures. For the sake of brevity, and me having to do other things, I will write this in several parts.

Ripplecraft was a company set up by Christopher Cockerell in 1950, at Oulton Broad. Cockerell was working for the electronics company Marconi, where he and his team had designed and built the R1155 and T115 radio transmitters and receivers as used by RAF Bomber Command. My late father flew in the Wellington and Lancaster with Bomber and Coastal Command as a radio operator/navigator, so I was aware of the importance of Cockerell's inventions for direction finding. I was also familiar with the concept of radio and direction finding from my previous life in the Royal Navy working with radar and associated equipment. Of course, Cockerell's most well-known invention was the hovercraft, there is one on the top of the memorial at Somerleyton. 

Initially building caravans,the first Ripplecraft boats designed by Cockerell came out of the yard at Oulton Broad in 1951. I have been told that Cockerell also purchased boats from E W Jackson and this is how the names of the later boats came about. These sailing boats, which he rented out were: Widgeon, Sheldrake, Heron and Tern. He then started designing 24 foot motor cruisers which were built through the years 1952-56. Again, from what I have been told, they were named Widgeon (2), Pintail, Mallard, Goldeneye and Shelduck. According to a Blakes brochure of 1955, these boats were fitted with Ford 10hp petrol engines. However, someone told me they had Morris 8hp engines. Someone may be able to shed some light on these boats as to whether there are any still around. I have copies of pictures of these boats but not sure if I can post them here due to copyright (advice needed, please). 

In 1953, Ripplecaft relocated to Somerleyton, where the company took over the staithe of the old brickworks (1880-1939). At this point I am somewhat confused. According to one source there were huts there from World War 2, another source claims that Cockerell purchased the ex-Army sheds and moved them to Somerleyton. Whatever the story, the sheds are still there and BG is in one of them. 

Once the work on the small boats had been completed, work began on larger cruisers. These cruisers were to be state of the art for their day, described as: "Streamlined luxury, fully lined, all weather boats." At 32' 6", with 6 berths, they were designed to go under every bridge on the Broads (subject to tides), and were fitted with a fully sliding roof. They were powered by the Lister Freedom marine diesel engine. Between 1956 and 1966, 10 of these boats were constructed to Cockerell's  innovative streamlined design. It was the lines of the boat that appealed to me, when I first saw the Ripplecraft it reminded me of the shape of the Sir Nigel Gresley's A4 Pacific locomotive which I have much admired since a child. (Yes, I am a locomotive enthusiast, not to be confused with a train spotter)

During my somewhat limited research, I have discovered that there are various accounts of when Broadland  Grebe was built. There is a degree of confusion about the names of the boats linked to the registration numbers. Thus, we are unable to categorically say the exact date of the building and completion of BG, it is either 1958 or 1960, depending on who you ask and where the information comes from. I have been informed that there was some sort of re-naming of boats for "tax purposes". Two boats were transferred to other yards on the Broads, Broadland Curlew being sold to Maidencraft of Thorpe and Broadland Falcon became Broadland Kingfisher when she moved to Jenners of Thorpe. Broadland Kingfisher was later re-named Gay Brigand, but returned to Ripplecraft to be named Broadland Heron. Perhaps someone else knows the story? 

The information we have obtained comes from a variety of sources, we met a chap called Dave at Potter who has a Ripplecraft, Broadland Swift, which is currently undergoing restoration. He seemed to be an authority on the boats, as did another chap, also called Dave, who restores wooden boats and has a collection of Blakes brochures from the time. I love reading the description of the boats which have "stainless steel sinks", "full size gas oven", and "ice box". In 1969, at  £14.7s (per person) high season, the cost of hiring these boats was not cheap, given the average wage was around £30 per week. 

Another Ripplecraft is Broadland Lapwing, which has been fully restored. Lapwing, at 35' 6", is longer than the rest of the class and the last to be built at Somerleyton. I will say nothing more about Lapwing because Ricardo will know much more. By 1970, no wooden boats were being built at Somerleyton but there was a boat by the name of Dabchick which was converted from Broadland Teal. Dabchick appears in Blake's brochure of 1971, but I know very little else about her. Ripplecraft introduced fibreglass cruisers in 1970, these were Bermuda 35's named Tahiti and a Caribbean class named Barracuda, both these boats were transferred to France in 1977. By 1977, Ripplecraft had also acquired 15 boats from the Fowler's fleet which had been based at Oulton Broad. 

Of course I could be wrong here, any help would be much appreciated. As far as I am aware the only survivors are: Broadland Lapwing, based at Belaugh and fully restored, Broadland Kestrel, based at Oulton Broad but not usable, Broadland Swift, based at Potter and undergoing restoration, and Broadland Grebe. According to the rumour mill, there are a couple on the Thames or the Medway. An unconfirmed source informed me that Broadland Falcon was sold for £16000 around 2006, and is now being use as a livaboard on the Thames or Medway. 

Although the history of BG may not be as long as many of the other boats on the Broads, I do think it is a unique piece of Broads history given the design and the links to Sir Christopher Cockerell. I have some photographs of BG and other Ripplecrafts, but will not post them as I do not hold the copyright to them. As I said, the information here is from a variety of sources, most of which can't be fully verified. I therefore am unable to accept full responsibility for the accuracy. Should any member have any other information, Ii will be most grateful. A visit to the Museum of the Broads left us somewhat bereft, when we were told they had not heard of Ripplecraft. I am now putting together some information for them to display. 

Braodland Grebe left the hire fleet in or around 1985, she had two previous custodians before us. I know nothing of her first owner, but know her previous owners. 

I have never done a quote before so: Socrates it is a pity you did not come to the MOB on a Tuesday afternoon I would have been there, although not an expert in anything I have certainly heard of Sir Christopher and his connection to Ripplecraft,  I know Dave (expilot) who owns Swift.

• Like 1

Thanks Vaughan and Aristotle, adding some pieces to the complicated jigsaw. I find the whole history of the boat yards, and boats on the Broads fascinating, and would like to meet you sometime and find out more. Beer or gin is always good for such occasions. Over the next few months Madam Captain and I are hoping to put together a display board about BG and Ripplecraft for when we go to the Wooden Boat meeting in Beccles.  We intend to be on the Broads for most of the summer, perhaps we will see you? You can usually find us lurking on the Southern rivers, in pubs, or in Somerleyton Marina.

One of our plans this year is to go across Breydon and spend a few weeks on the north rivers, we did not get over there last year in case we lost the sliding roof because it was so rotten. Thanks to Ricardo's wizardry, we hope we won't have such worries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, socrates said:

Thanks Vaughan and Aristotle, adding some pieces to the complicated jigsaw. I find the whole history of the boat yards, and boats on the Broads fascinating, and would like to meet you sometime and find out more. Beer or gin is always good for such occasions. Over the next few months Madam Captain and I are hoping to put together a display board about BG and Ripplecraft for when we go to the Wooden Boat meeting in Beccles.  We intend to be on the Broads for most of the summer, perhaps we will see you? You can usually find us lurking on the Southern rivers, in pubs, or in Somerleyton Marina.

One of our plans this year is to go across Breydon and spend a few weeks on the north rivers, we did not get over there last year in case we lost the sliding roof because it was so rotten. Thanks to Ricardo's wizardry, we hope we won't have such worries. 

Well i would hope not once the old guy with the big pointed hat with stars on it makes you some new sides etc :15_yum:  

15 minutes ago, socrates said:

The way things are going we might need our tin foil hats

Be serious I'm good at calming things down , see on here for details I'll bring the calming wand with me ( 8 foot of 4" x2") :15_yum: 

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a quick up-date on the latest work on BG. Going back a few years there was a TV programme hosted by a rather eccentric and recently departed engineer by the name of  Heinz Wolf, it was called the Great Egg Race. Well, I feel like I am now in one of those programmes trying to pull everything together in order to get BG on the water and cruising by 19th May.

We now have one cabin side on, ready for varnishing and the deck is just about ready fro a scrim coat and painting. The Port side was removed to reveal two rotten frames which we did not know about. Anyone with a wooden boat will know that feeling. With help, these were replaced and a further two frames temporarily repaired in order that we can progress. Another job added to the list for next year. 

Ricardo did his magic with the hatches and finished the job with a rather fetching quadrant. Primed and undercoated, the hatches are now ready for top coat. The hull was also given two cats of undercoat and is ready for the white top-coat. 

Ricardo and I removed the old cabin sides in a few pieces as possible but due to our old friend rot, damp had crept up into the roof for a god 6 inches. We peeled back the roof covering in order to dry the wood out and noticed that at some point someone had covered this part of the roof with rather nasty plywood. Following a lengthy discussion, it was decided to let the roof dry out and aim to use fibreglass to make good the rotten areas. 

We measured the windows and ordered rubber seals for all the windows on the boat. The new rubber was locally sourced and very reasonably priced from Walker Rubber in Norwich. I had to return home to work, but have managed to get another week off next week in order to continue the refurbishment of the sliding roof and Port cabin sides. Unfortunately, I will now not be attending a certain Champions League semi-final! (Ticket sold to a friend)

Ricardo has planed and cut the wood in preparation for making up the new sliding roof sides so there is some light at the end of that tunnel. It really feels like we are against the clock now with a load of painting and varnishing still to be done and just two weeks in which to do it.

The first picture shows the new beam and carling fitted to the Port side. This was treated with Cupinol and then painted with Damboline.

The other pictures show the extent of the rot in the sliding roof and the sides of the roof removed.

If anyone is around Somerleyton next week, you are more than welcome to come and have a look at what is going on. Best to PM first. I will post further progress net week. In the meantime, enjoy your sunny days on the River! 

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

• Like 5

Wow, you certainly have my admiration, renovating  one of the beautiful old wooden broads cruisers. I remember the 'Ripplecraft' cruisers at Somerleyton, for their distinct design, you could always tell a 'Ripplecraft' boat from distance. We hired a few wooden cruisers during the seventies ('Ambassador' from NBYC. 'Shining Dawn' from Herbert Woods. 'Highlight 4' again Herbert Woods. 'Osprey' from Alphacraft and latterly 'Judith' from Martham Boats). Good luck with your work, I hope you manage to get her back into the water soon and enjoy cruising in her, for many years to come.     Picture: Shining Dawn1966472310_ShiningDawnHerbertWoods(May74).JPG.88243fa4ba3c93d67eee73cd27cf0647.JPG

1 hour ago, socrates said:

This is just a quick up-date on the latest work on BG. Going back a few years there was a TV programme hosted by a rather eccentric and recently departed engineer by the name of  Heinz Wolf, it was called the Great Egg Race. Well, I feel like I am now in one of those programmes trying to pull everything together in order to get BG on the water and cruising by 19th May.

We now have one cabin side on, ready for varnishing and the deck is just about ready fro a scrim coat and painting. The Port side was removed to reveal two rotten frames which we did not know about. Anyone with a wooden boat will know that feeling. With help, these were replaced and a further two frames temporarily repaired in order that we can progress. Another job added to the list for next year. 

Ricardo did his magic with the hatches and finished the job with a rather fetching quadrant. Primed and undercoated, the hatches are now ready for top coat. The hull was also given two cats of undercoat and is ready for the white top-coat. 

Ricardo and I removed the old cabin sides in a few pieces as possible but due to our old friend rot, damp had crept up into the roof for a god 6 inches. We peeled back the roof covering in order to dry the wood out and noticed that at some point someone had covered this part of the roof with rather nasty plywood. Following a lengthy discussion, it was decided to let the roof dry out and aim to use fibreglass to make good the rotten areas. 

We measured the windows and ordered rubber seals for all the windows on the boat. The new rubber was locally sourced and very reasonably priced from Walker Rubber in Norwich. I had to return home to work, but have managed to get another week off next week in order to continue the refurbishment of the sliding roof and Port cabin sides. Unfortunately, I will now not be attending a certain Champions League semi-final! (Ticket sold to a friend)

Ricardo has planed and cut the wood in preparation for making up the new sliding roof sides so there is some light at the end of that tunnel. It really feels like we are against the clock now with a load of painting and varnishing still to be done and just two weeks in which to do it.

The first picture shows the new beam and carling fitted to the Port side. This was treated with Cupinol and then painted with Damboline.

The other pictures show the extent of the rot in the sliding roof and the sides of the roof removed.

If anyone is around Somerleyton next week, you are more than welcome to come and have a look at what is going on. Best to PM first. I will post further progress net week. In the meantime, enjoy your sunny days on the River! 

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

All the timber for the new sliding cabin sides is now in kit form and one will be jointed and glued up a n Monday the second one the day after , then on its cutting to finished size etc  an fitting of the rollers , routering for the window seals , lots of varnishing etc , 19th of may is no problem n I don't do missing deadlines least I ain't so far in 39 yrs :default_beerchug:

7 minutes ago, socrates said:

For those who are observant, you will notice that the boat next to us is also being restored. This particular boat is Janet 6 and she is a some way off completion.

Some way off , that's the understatement of the century , day in day out for a yr would sort it though, n it deserves to be afloat its class n beautiful lines :default_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Some way off , that's the understatement of the century , day in day out for a yr would sort it though, n it deserves to be afloat its class n beautiful lines :default_biggrin:

I was being polite as usual. Yes, Janet certainly needs a lot more work and will be a splendid example of a classic Broads boat when completed. 

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Ooooh that sliding canopy looks challenging! Still with wood it's all replaceable, given time, skill and a money pit! :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Got to admit its a bit of a challenge as quite a bit of the existing sides just kinda fell off when being removed , angles have all to be perfect so the runner and wheels line up hence quite a bit of measuring went on prior to removal , the biggest shock was the 4 mm ply over laying the original ply which wants replacing at some stage but is pretty solid really , never use far eastern ply on a boat , the original is birch ply and has been there nearly 50 yrs the other stuff on top probably a tenth of that and glass clothed .

When I had my narrow boat built the builder was using MDF for certain details and as soon as I got to realise that he got told put that on my boat and I won't accept it , solid ash or I'll not even bother to consider a deposit for a build slot , done things should be no where near boats , far Eastern ply and MDF at just 2 :default_biggrin:.

Money pit ? All boats are that , say marine n the price doubles .

• 2 weeks later...

The old sliding roof sides were taken off and we carefully removed the windows, in order that the sides may be used as a basic template. The complexities of the job in hand required a high degree of skill in order that the new roof will actually work. Such as job has to be left to someone who knows what they are doing, with the cost of African mahogany, and time constraints for getting back in the water there was no room for error. Throughout the process it is a case of measure three times and cut once. 

The clearances involved are millimetres to ensure that the wheels run along the runners and the roof fits the front screen perfectly. Two brains are better than one when it comes to doing the sums, but cutting and fixing is left to Ricardo (who I hope will add some of the more technical descriptions) 

Basically, the sides were made up using the old sides as a pattern. A rough shape was biscuit jointed, glued using epoxy and clamped together over night on a flat bench. Once we had the rough shape, the correct angles and cut outs were accurately draw on taking measurements from the old sides and the boat front screen. Only when we were both certain that everything was perfect did Ricardo set about cutting the final shape.( See pictures for details)

The sides were then sanded using 80 grit on a random orbital sander, and then checked against the boat in order to mark the exact place to fit the wheels. With the wheel holes cut out, the sides were sanded and prepared for varnishing with a final sand using 120 grit. 

Meanwhile, the wheels were removed from their housing, this was probably the first time in ages they had been greased. They were totally refurbished and greased in preparation for fitting when the sides have been varnished. As with much of the things on BG, the wheels of the sliding roof had been badly (never) maintained and neglected by previous owners. The result was that two wheels had seized and become badly worn. Little wonder that task of sliding the roof required two people and not an insignificant amount of force. Along with the wheels, the roof struts were also refurbished for re-fitting. 

The sides were then given a coat of 50% varnish and 50% white spirit using a Purdy brush. I know some people may disagree with our method of varnishing, but it is what we are doing. The ratio of varnish to white spirit will be increased to 80/20 for the next coat and then straight varnish for the next 4-6 coats with a light sand in between coats. The final coat being applied once the sides are fitted to the boat and the windows are in. 

It is certain that we will not make our launch date of 15th May, so we have now put this back to 28th May. There is still much to do and not a lot of time to do it in. 

IMG_2484.JPG

sides glued and clamped.JPG

side made up and cut.JPG

sides made up awaiting cutting to shape.JPG

first coat of varnish.JPG

first coat of varnish 2.JPG

joint close up.JPG

roof wheels.JPG

window routed out.JPG

shed view.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, socrates said:

The old sliding roof sides were taken off and we carefully removed the windows, in order that the sides may be used as a basic template. The complexities of the job in hand required a high degree of skill in order that the new roof will actually work. Such as job has to be left to someone who knows what they are doing, with the cost of African mahogany, and time constraints for getting back in the water there was no room for error. Throughout the process it is a case of measure three times and cut once. 

The clearances involved are millimetres to ensure that the wheels run along the runners and the roof fits the front screen perfectly. Two brains are better than one when it comes to doing the sums, but cutting and fixing is left to Ricardo (who I hope will add some of the more technical descriptions) 

Basically, the sides were made up using the old sides as a pattern. A rough shape was biscuit jointed, glued using epoxy and clamped together over night on a flat bench. Once we had the rough shape, the correct angles and cut outs were accurately draw on taking measurements from the old sides and the boat front screen. Only when we were both certain that everything was perfect did Ricardo set about cutting the final shape.( See pictures for details)

The sides were then sanded using 80 grit on a random orbital sander, and then checked against the boat in order to mark the exact place to fit the wheels. With the wheel holes cut out, the sides were sanded and prepared for varnishing with a final sand using 120 grit. 

Meanwhile, the wheels were removed from their housing, this was probably the first time in ages they had been greased. They were totally refurbished and greased in preparation for fitting when the sides have been varnished. As with much of the things on BG, the wheels of the sliding roof had been badly (never) maintained and neglected by previous owners. The result was that two wheels had seized and become badly worn. Little wonder that task of sliding the roof required two people and not an insignificant amount of force. Along with the wheels, the roof struts were also refurbished for re-fitting. 

The sides were then given a coat of 50% varnish and 50% white spirit using a Purdy brush. I know some people may disagree with our method of varnishing, but it is what we are doing. The ratio of varnish to white spirit will be increased to 80/20 for the next coat and then straight varnish for the next 4-6 coats with a light sand in between coats. The final coat being applied once the sides are fitted to the boat and the windows are in. 

It is certain that we will not make our launch date of 15th May, so we have now put this back to 28th May. There is still much to do and not a lot of time to do it in. 

IMG_2484.JPG

sides glued and clamped.JPG

side made up and cut.JPG

sides made up awaiting cutting to shape.JPG

first coat of varnish.JPG

first coat of varnish 2.JPG

joint close up.JPG

roof wheels.JPG

window routed out.JPG

shed view.JPG

Not a lot to add really that's how it happened   , as far as measuring is concerned the defiantly twice is a good idea especially with expensive materials , now while desperately not trying to be big headed cos that's not cool with me but I do tend to just get on with it n heck if I don't know my job now after 40 yrs I never will ,  so I tend to move fast on jobs I've full confidence in .

Grebe might not get there ie in the water on the original date but she's a lady that takes her time n she will be floating in may for sure ,  she'll be just fine  , a heck of a lot has gone on this yr that's just invisible , the cosmetic bits are fine their the ones being judged as the rest is hidden but hey there's as anyone who owns one knows more to keeping a wooden boat afloat as do those that work on em do  .

11 hours ago, Victoryv said:

Hope you will be at Beccles, as one of a number of people that talked you into the boat in the first, place we do feel a little responsible,

Bless you for sticking with it .

We are certainly considering coming to Beccles wooden boat show for one day this year. Still got a fair bit to do on the inside in order to make BG acceptable to the purists. We are happy that the Judith M crew talked us into this adventure, we share your pain.