Where's Timbo?

Timbo

I'm up and about this morning. Sunshine is peeping through the blinds as I make a cup of TEA.

Yes, folks tea! Highly unusual for a Timbo to be drinking tea. I'm what is known as a 'coffee snob'. Anyone remember that bint from the Mellow Birds advert that used to tip her coffee into your plant pot and then offer you a jar of her preferred powdered chicory that once had a coffee bean wafted over it? Okay, I won't tip your coffee into your pot plants but if given a choice I will ask for tea. My coffee drinking habit stems from my Mum. She was a coffee drinker. An INSTANT coffee drinker. 

I discovered proper coffee at University when we played host to some Dutch exchange students. I offered to make a coffee and they all stood gawping in amazement that I had made instant coffee. Then they did the Mellow Birds and tipped it in my pot plant. After their three-month visit was over they departed leaving me a gift of a 'coffee engine'  and enough beans to last through the rest of the term. I've been hooked ever since.

There are only three people that I will accept the offer of coffee from. Doug makes a good Americano, my brother in law Steve, aka Watson, makes a passable strong black liquid kind of thing and Maurice Mynah is the Caffeine King and makes the most excellent 'Boat Coffee'. Everywhere else it's tea. You can't go wrong with tea? Maybe you can, but you can get coffee really wrong! I'm drinking tea because of I'd run out of coffee.

So I'm driving Ellie to work this morning.
"How are you feeling today?" she asks.
I reply with a grunt, a wheeze and a squeak.
"You know we should start to consider putting some money away for our funerals." said Ellie.
If I'd had the strength I would have chuckled at that one.

Plans for the day involve walking the dogs this morning and doing some pondering on what I call the 'Ynis Mon Vaughan' project. I started the Boat'sLOG YouTube channel the other year with just the one video. I quickly realised I didn't know enough about YouTube and Vlogging to make a serious stab at the project. I did however get some good feedback on the video and have been analysing a way forward. Our Ellie Smells Fragrance channel has in someway been a bit of a guinea pig channel while I learn the YouTube basics of editing, SEO, thumbnail graphics , photography, lighting, sound and the whole gamut of skills involved in producing a video on a regular basis.

The Yns Mon project, named after our NBN Yns Mon and Vaughan, is about splitting the Boat'sLOG into two channels and keeping woodwork projects on one channel and history and archaeology content on another channel. It started with me thinking 'How can I explain and demonstrate to Vaghan some of the concepts we have been discussing on the history and archaeology of the Broads'. And bearing in mind Helen's point about woodwork not being 'her thing'.

Vaughan had asked me a question regarding archaeological and historical interpretation of landscape and I was contemplating the best way of demonstrating what I was trying to say. Walking through the woods by my home I was trying to visualise the geographical, archaeological and historical links between Lincolnshire and Norfolk as I needed a place of origin to start my explanation. It suddenly dawned on me how I should progress. So while it may have seemed I've been somewhat quiet of late I have indeed been working hard to bring the project to fruition. Let's just say that Helen and Vaughan started a thought process that is currently hindering a developer from oblitorating swaythes of Lincolnshire archaeology and a story that encompasses the birth of the English Nation, civil war, natural disaster to some idiot with a limp and a cough trying to fix a boat on the Norfolk Broads. The next step is walking the dogs and praying for shopping day on Thursday to arrive...because I need my coffee!

• Like 8

Sounds good to me Timbo! There must be loads of people like me who have grown up in Norfolk, and to love Norfolk, believing it to have a certain history which was always fed to us as children, but which turns out to be something rather different and even more fascinating.

Something to chat about at the Spring meet!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The tent has been dried and is currently laid on top of the rest of the 'gubbins' in my kitchen that was packed into my car for the DIY SOS weekend. The journey back from Norfolk had been somewhat tight fuel wise. I'd stopped at Swaffham to rummage through the car for pennies, cobbled together ten quid and put that much fuel into my tank. I arrived home after a two-hour forty-five-minute journey showing eight miles left in my tank.

The beagles were ecstatic to see me, so I spent an hour sat on the sofa covered by a blanket of beagle while I caught up with my daughter Holly who had been on beagle sitting duties.

After I had taken Holly to the train station the next day for her journey home to Wigan I was showing zero fuel in my tank.

Anyone remember the 'Potter's Wheel'? Well, there has now been a short intermission while Timbo catches up with his sleep. I slept most of Monday and Monday night. After walking the dogs on Tuesday morning I slept the rest of the day until time for the evening walk. I then slept the night. I unpacked the car Wednesday morning and then...slept through the afternoon and well into the evening, and then slept through last night and awoke around 7 am this morning feeling refreshed and ready for work.

Walking through to my 'Office-editing suite-second studio-stills studio' I discover something horrific. Well-meaning, but horrific all the same. A note from my daughter placed on my computer which read
"I've installed Windows 10 for you, get with it Dad".

OMG! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Unfortunately, I use computers to do a job of work which Windows 10 is not even remotely capable of doing. So, where's Timbo? Uninstalling Windows 10 and eradicating any trace of it from my system. It's the computer equivalent of Japanese Knotweed! So hopefully by the end of the day, I will have cleaned all drives and be ready for work again.

Just as an indication of how crap Windows 10 actually is...I have two identical laptops both with the same software. One Windows 10, the other Windows 7. Windows 10 takes over 6 minutes to boot and load my main piece of software. Windows 7 does this in under 30 seconds. Render times for film is a right eye opener. To render six minutes of footage using windows 7 about an hour. Windows 10...2 days.

So while I'm formatting drives, the post arrives and with it a letter from my Quack and an appointment for hospital. The Saturday before the DIY SOS I attended hospital for a brain scan and a shoulder scan. At one point I did bend down to tie my shoelace so who knows what else got scanned? I now have an appointment to see my GP on Friday to discuss what they found...and an appointment on Saturday at the hospital for another scan and pre-op. So more when I find out whether it's my head, a...spect or elbow.