A question about anti-foul

Guest plesbit

Hoping for a fairly fast answer on this one as I need to move quickly but unfortunately I think most folks are out on their boats over Easter!

On my tin of anti-foul it says that the boat must be launched within two weeks of the hull being painted with anti-foul. I expect to be able to launch the boat within two weeks but there is a possibility that it might not happen. I was wondering if anyone knew what the consequences would be if I went ahead and painted it tomorrow and then was not able to get it launched within that period? Will all my descendants be cursed forever or will really nothing very much happen?

The Blakes / Hempel stuff said 2 weeks (as Mark points out). However, that was one of the longest times available from the variety of different paints on offer (I use the term loosely) from Norfolk Marine. Other boats were painted weeks back and many are still out of the water. Perhaps other owners have just ignored the advice on the tin or found a paint which gives a longer time before launch?

David's link was interesting, and the subject of maximum time to launch is raised but only to acknowledge that it exists, not to deal with any possible consequences of not complying. It's a moot point anyway - because I went ahead and painted it regardless. So ideally she should be back in the water by Monday of the week after next.

I think the idea of the time sensative launch Simon, is to stop the paint fully curing, thus stopping it doing what it says on the tin? I think the worst that will happen is you will have more 'Clingon's' than you would, had you launched it on time.

Well hopefully it's a non-issue anyway as I suspect I'll be more annoyed than the anti-foul is if she's not back in the water by the end of next week.

It seemed to be oil in the clutch cone, probably caused a slight overfilling when it was last overhauled. This had caused it start slipping and then of course it just got worse. Although the engineer originally got a quote for a replacement clutch cone in the end it wasn't necessary and having actually seen the stripped down mechanism and compared it with a brand new one the actual clutch cone is in as new condition, it doesn't look like it's ever been used at all and now it seems to mate perfectly again so hopefully that's that.

We'll find out soon enough anyway.