A Winters Tale

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

I know the feeling Jay, my daughter is working nights over the christmas break, and as the trains are not running, muggins is going to be dropping her off in the evenings and picking up again in the mornings.

Wow, I thought you was referring to the 11 inch remark for a second Grendel....

Yes it's rubbish working at Christmas, for those who don't want to be anyway, I am sure your daughter appreciates you for it all :default_smile:

And then finally down the Chet and into London Staithe, the BA guy doing the dredging work didn't seem too keen on my rendition of Fairytale Of New York however.

And so here I am. All alone in Loddon :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

20171218_124920.jpg

20171218_130626.jpg

20171218_131449.jpg

20171218_132441.jpg

20171218_132443.jpg

20171218_133528.jpg

Lovely pics . . . dead jealous.

We spent a week on Moonlight from Boxing Day a few years ago; really enjoyed it.

We should have been on Lightning this Saturday for a week but have had to pull out because of family commitments.

Not a wasted week though as one of the other owners is now taking her out. Hopefully the weather will treat them well.

Roy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

she will be sleeping most of the day, so we will at least see each other for a few hours at the start and end of the day.

I don't know your plans or how you work Christmas at times like that, but because both I and the OH both work shifts we try and have Christmas Day on a day that suits, it may sometimes be Boxing Day it may be the 27th etc but at least we can all enjoy it as a family.

From the outside it may not seem the same as Christmas Day but it's a darn sight better than saying merry Christmas as you walk out of the front door just as the OH is walking in it.

I should add the kids have never complained about it either :default_biggrin:

If that makes sense.

Lovely. When I was very young, on a Saturday morning I would get into my parents bed and ask my father for broads holiday stories. My favorite request was Christmas on the broads with Father Christmas coming down the steps of the front hatch. Bear in mind this was in the late 50s when mod cons and heating wasn't supplied but I still loved the idea of Christmas on the Broads. Not sure now on WR as still no mod cons! Liz

• Like 4

I agree about Christmas Jayfire. Hubby used to work shifts and cooking Christmas dinner for 12.30 so that he could be at work by 2pm was just not the same. We were very fortunate though that he was almost never on an early shift on Christmas Day so the children were able to open their presents in the morning rather than having to wait until Dad was home from work.

Tuesday December 19th

A frosty but sunny morning. Decks were once again iced up as the temperature was 0°C at 8a.m. I'm not sure how low it got in the night.

Another glorious trip up the Chet with the exception of having to wait for the dredging work that is ongoing (be warned if you are heading that way this winter). The signs warn of up to a possible one and a half hour delay. Yesterday they waved me straight through, today I was waiting around 10 minutes. Mainly because the guy on the boat was in the toilet whilst the guy on the digger was beeping for him to come and move :default_biggrin:

Reaching the Yare it was a left turn to head towards my home mooring at Brundall.

20171219_084552.jpg

20171219_084603.jpg

20171219_092251.jpg

20171219_092642.jpg

20171219_092731.jpg

20171219_094156.jpg

20171219_102429.jpg

I decided for a stop off at the Short Dyke moorings at Rockland so the dog and I could walk down Wherrymans way passing Rockland broad to the staithe which was unsurprisingly empty.

20171219_122352.jpg

20171219_122724.jpg

20171219_124234.jpg

44 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

Brilliant photos Jay. The light at this time of year is amazing.

Really enjoying your tale.

:default_beerchug:

Thanks deebee

It's been fantastic. I'm not sure but think the weather might be changing for the rest of the week but these last few days have been immense and I have had a blast. 

Beer o'clock now though :default_drinks:

Wednesday 20th December

Heavy fog in Brundall had almost made way by the time morning routines had finished. 

Having a full compliment aboard obviously didn't mean an easy time for myself as boat duties now also included breakfast duties and mashing duties apparently.

Anyway a late set off by my standards but we were once again, by majority decision heading back to Somerlayton. Apparently my opinion doesn't matter!!!

So Brundall to Somerlayton via a detour down Fleet Dyke to Rockland Broad and back up Short Dyke. But I have show you this already.....but with sunshine. Today here it is without....

20171220_110359.jpg

20171220_111406.jpg

20171220_114200.jpg