Lion Thurne Update

RickWhiteHorse

AN OPEN LETTER FROM TEAM LION AT THURNE

Thank you all for the support we have received since our opening in late may. We have now closed for work to commence on finishing the refurbishments ready for us to open for Easter time.

These include secondary toilets, lobby area, new windows, fascias and guttering, staff area, new septic tank, new gas tank, secondary garden space, car park and a few finishing touches internally.

Contrary to rumours we are not closing permanently but at the same time we made the decision to close earlier than planned as it wasn't financially viable to stay open any longer without getting the rest of the work done.

This year has been a tough one with ill health (myself/family/staff), chef crisis after chef crisis, equipment failure, building issues and general poor luck.

We have struggled our way through and have not always been at our best and we apologise to any customers we have let down this year.

We have a clear idea of what we need to do going forward and are already hard at work trying to address all of the areas brought up by various people this year.

This business has been the toughest challenge I have ever undertaken and it has nearly cost me my other pub in the process but we will not be beaten.

Thank you to all of my amazing staff that have worked so hard to get us through.

Hope to see you all next year!

Rick & Staff

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Now, do I read that as he wants to see me "all next year" or that he wants to all of us a bit next year? I have discounted the option that he wants to see me all "next year" as I don't think anyone to be that  masochistic. 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop there Rick, see me you will... at both your venues. :)

• Like 1

There have been many, many good reviews for the Lion since you reopened so you can be sure you are on the right track. With everything you have planned, and the good reputation you already have, the revamped Lion will undoubtedly become as popular as the White Horse. Good luck and plenty of it for 2018.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

I only managed to make two visits to The Lion this year, but what a difference. It is firmly back on the must visit list and I look forward to many more visits next year and to more improvements. Good luck for 2018 Rick and hope all goes well for you and your team.

Hi Rick and Co,

Sorry to hear you have stumbled into problems. 

We've visited a number of times and it's one of my favourites, I think you have all done a brilliant job so far and I'm sure the dusting on the top will really finish the project off.  The white horse is a real asset of the broads so I'm sure that should help reassure you that the pain is worth it.

I look forward to being back in easter, i hope you get some down time and everyone feels well soon..

Let me know if you need any carpet or upholstery, we will take the stress out of them bits for you ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now, do I read that as he wants to see me "all next year" or that he wants to all of us a bit next year? I have discounted the option that he wants to see me all "next year" as I don't think anyone to be that  masochistic. 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop there Rick, see me you will... at both your venues. :)

Rick could do with you next Christmas,to top up the bar takings.:default_xmas5:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your problems at the Lion, we went in a couple of times this year and were impressed with what you had done refurbishing the pub and I'm sure you will get the problems sorted in time for Easter. Suffice to say we use The White Horse quite often and in our opinion it  is one of the best hostelries on the broads.Rest assured we will use both of your establishments next year

Boycee

:default_icon_clap:

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Rick.

We last called in the Lion about 2 weeks ago to catch Richard, Sally and Co doing their Evening with Bob. Cracking night. Beer was excellent as always, minor malfunction with the Lacons Encore in the afternoon but sorted by the evening. Its great that we don't have to suffer all the national branded stuff.

Staff were very helpful and friendly and didn't boot us out at the earliest opportunity (Mrs N and I are invariably the last ones in the pub :default_drinks:)

The old Lion was very tired and dated and the new interior is a massive improvement. The moorings have been repaired too and although there is still work to be done they are perfectly serviceable.

I'm guessing in the summer season the boating trade will predominate but the pub was certainly busy enough when we visited and we were the only occupied boat on the moorings.

Pubs always take a little time to 'bed in' after a change of ownership and I'm sure the Lion will be a great success, please stick at it, it will be worth it I'm sure! We also visited the White Horse and that was up to its usual high standard too and really is a model of how a pub can be turned around.

All the best and Mrs N and I will certainly be back in May! :default_beerchug:

P1040924.JPG

• Like 7

• 9 months later...

We are relatively local to Thurne and, this evening, paid our first visit to the refurbished Lion at Thurne.  The pub/restaurant has been tastefully refurbished.  Those who know the White Horse at Neatishead with recognise much of the detailing.

Friendly welcome, friendly service - if a little confused sometimes.  Food OK, BUT what was immensely impressive was the way the young staff handled a complaint about the food.  Both dishes were removed from the table without fuss, substitute meals brought to the table only minutes later and all done in a totally gracious manner.  It goes without saying that neither meal had been added to the bill.  

We will return - and often - not because of the food especially, but because good service deserves to be recognised.  This was a young, inexperienced staff who handled what could have been an uncomfortable situation to the sort of standard I would have expected from the very best fine dining establishment.  

Top marks to the Lion at Thurne.  Very impressed.

• Like 8

We visited in September 2017 and were slightly underwhelmed with the decor and menu, but went back a few weeks ago when we were on Gainsborough Girl .  The menu has been transformed, with far more choice and the lighting didn't seem as gloomy.  Coupled with attentive staff and a great selection of beer, our opinions were reversed to the extent that I would be disappointed to be on the Northern Broads and not visit.  Probably my favourite pub on the rivers north of Great Yarmouth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have been a few times since July 2017, once for an early supper during a stupid 240 mile round trip. Always found the staff pleasant and helpful and the food to be great. We’re also fond of the White Horse as well (where our lab, Jasper, was treated like royalty)

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network