What Happens Next?

High6

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

So long as it's not a little Red Barrel!

Red Barrel, arghhhhh, London has imposed some pretty awful exports on to Norfolk & Suffolk over the years & that stuff must top them all!

Seemed to kill off Mackeson, though.

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Lots of little old ladies will be glad to know that

Well my old Nan god rest her soul, on pension day would have 2 or 3 Mackeson followed by a couple of Whiskey chasers, she lived well into her 90's.

I will add that not a "squat" in sight to those old ladies.

Charlie

• Like 1

With my first boat coming in a few week' time I should have known it was daft to ask you all a serious newbie question so close on Christmas. Bound to degenerate into ribald humour and tales of drunken debauchery.

I will try again when the spirit has subsided.

Back to the original question,  and in all seriousness, if I were on a lee shore, the shore to which the wind is blowing, then I wouldn't be there, at least not in a gale nor in flood conditions, neither of which are generally unpredictable. In a nutshell I would have moved long before tragedy struck.

• Thanks 1

You would have been asleep though Pete, and you could well be moored where there are no other acceptable moorings nearby, and if you were uncertain of the river, probably a bit dodgy to move. And of course you can get windshifts that alter things after you have gone to bed!!

As you say, to be serious, I would turn off my power on my main box into the boat and go back to bed! No need to do the first thing as the post should trip but I would feel better! Equally unless you were moored at Yarmouth, Reedham or possibly St Olaves I expect your tight ropes could cope and it would be silly to go ashore in the dark . It was probably unlikely you moored at dead low water so even in flood conditions probably only 3 hrs or less to high water and if it was already pretty high when you moored unlikely to go much higher.

I would also take the view that the Broads next level of flood defences would be working as well - the marshes!! River levels only come up so far before the water overflows into bits it does not normally go. Thats what the gap in the New Cut is for and upstream above the new river banks, the marshes come into play.

So turn over , stop whittling and go back to sleep although that might be difficult with the noise from outside and the missus - if you have one!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

In defence of my attempted humour, I did check on the time of your first post before I replied. So I knew you weren't actually stuck out there in the night!

If you want a serious answer, I would make sure that I have decent length mooring lines (Broads ones are always far too short), pass them through mooring rings on the quay and tie them back on the boat. That way if the water comes up more than usual in the night, you can adjust them for height without having to try and get ashore.

The dog can always have a wee wee in the shower tray.

Did I say that??   :default_scaredmouse:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now there's a plan, so long as you're on rings and not posts in a flood.

No defence necessary, I thoroughly enjoyed the hilarious comments (anything to get away from the bickering topics for a while).

I guess if I were really thinking ahead as Peter suggests, and well informed, I would not connect the shore power (I did have Reedham vaguely in the back of my mind). Even if you kick out the master switch as Marshman recommends the mains power is still coming on board so I would be tempted in an emergency to throw my end onto the shore, wearing rubber boots and Marigolds of course, and let it trip out if necessary.

Who knows what a nervous newbie might do - the more firma the less terra.

• Like 1

Most permanent moorings are safe but many casual ones need an open eye being kept on them. Fenders need to be adjusted. Sometimes long poles can be pushed into the bottom of the river in order to stop the chine of your boat going over the top of the jetty or quay heading. My own personal mooring is on the East shore meaning that I'm prone to the prevailing Westerlies and gales. I have a chain and substantial weight laid on the bottom so if it does blow up and the tide goes into flood mode then I am able to pick up the chain and pull off the shore and lay head to wind. If it really gets really nasty then I have been known moor to the windward shore. There is no one size fit all answer to this one, apart from preventing your boat snagging on a pile or riding over the jetty capping.  A nice sheltered mooring is a godsend but even that can be prone to the delights of a flood tide.

Hidden submarine net - how cool is that? I must confess I never felt overly concerned while we were hiring (careful, though) but spending a sizeable chunk of life-savings on our first boat takes everything to a new level. Short of sheathing in ferro-cement and downing several G&Ts before retiring I foresee a restless night or two before we can relax.

• Haha 2

When a student nurse I worked behind a bar to inflate my income a tad, confused the heck out of me when little old ladies approached asking for a milk stout, I refuse to reveal what I tried to do the first time I was asked!
As for Double Diamond, worked wonders did it not?
Ena Sharples would've had a word to say, I feel.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, VetChugger said:

When a student nurse I worked behind a bar to inflate my income a tad, confused the heck out of me when little old ladies approached asking for a milk stout, I refuse to reveal what I tried to do the first time I was asked!

As for Double Diamond, worked wonders did it not?

Oh no, not milk a bull!?

This is the most hilarious thread I've seen for a while...we need more of them!  I do like that it contained some sensible advice in the middle... (the dog peeing in the shower tray is my favourite - must remember that in case of emergency!!):default_coat:

Anyway, to sum up...

:default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

and:default_beerchug:

and:default_arms:

• Like 3

On 29/12/2017 at 11:07, High6 said:

You wake up in the early hours to the noise of wind, rain and water slapping. You stick your head outside and see by torchlight that your mooring lines and shore power cable are well under water. You can't see the quay heading.

So what do you do next?

Panic, I'm half a mile from the north sea and ten miles from my boat...

• Like 2

On 29/12/2017 at 11:07, High6 said:

You wake up in the early hours to the noise of wind, rain and water slapping. You stick your head outside and see by torchlight that your mooring lines and shore power cable are well under water. You can't see the quay heading.

So what do you do next?

I'm also wondering why my tablet has been repeating itself...

If there's a mod around, please delete the echos..

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

This is the most hilarious thread I've seen for a while...we need more of them!  I do like that it contained some sensible advice in the middle... (the dog peeing in the shower tray is my favourite - must remember that in case of emergency!!):default_coat:

Anyway, to sum up...

:default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

and:default_beerchug:

and:default_arms:

Is that because you have a dog or a shower tray ?????