3 Rivers Race 2018

TheQ

I am afraid that the weather has cost Potter businesses dearly, on a sunny 3R you cant see the staithe or the grass on the pilot office side for people. Cars can hardly cross the bridge for folk hanging over the parapets. And all of them having a drink and eating burgers, hotdogs and fish and chips. Such a pity.

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I am afraid that the weather has cost Potter businesses dearly, on a sunny 3R you cant see the staithe or the grass on the pilot office side for people. Cars can hardly cross the bridge for folk hanging over the parapets. And all of them having a drink and eating burgers, hotdogs and fish and chips. Such a pity.

Yes especially as it has been good weather all last week. Not great for the competitors either, wet and hardly any wind

50 minutes ago, Katiew said:

Yes, very wet at PH now, but most crews I've seen go through are still looking focused if a bit cold and wet :default_icon_clap:

Saw that Nipper had a great view though :default_icon_wave:

We are cold and wet, now got the heating on and trying hard to resist the smell from the chip shop, just seen the first retirement been very quiet at the bridge due to lack of wind.  Going to be a long night for some just a A rater come back through and heading for Horning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:

We are cold and wet, now got the heating on and trying hard to resist the smell from the chip shop, just seen the first retirement been very quiet at the bridge due to lack of wind.  Going to be a long night for some just a A rater come back through and heading for Horning.

That's a shame for the crew- it's not been a great day for the sails, and the mist seems to be settling in a tad now so I agree, it might be a long night for some!

Hope the heating is keeping the Nipper crew toasty now, have a great evening :14_relaxed:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I saw another yacht arrive back at Horning earlier, and two of the small dinghys arrived back under tow from the rangers before that

Had they been arrested for not displaying their registration numbers on their transoms?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, grendel said:

I saw another yacht arrive back at Horning earlier, and two of the small dinghys arrived back under tow from the rangers before that

Was their painter passed? Or were they passed the tow?  Does salvage convention apply of The Broads?

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

no idea, I just saw them arrive at Horning

I was only joking, I would imagine the BA and it's waterbourne staff are like the RNLI. That a salvage claim is just not done.

• Like 1

This must have been a miserable experience this year.

We were at Acle about 1230 and although a very light breeze was building, I could see that the tide was still just before slack water high, so naturally no-one would want to come through there until late afternoon. We drove on to potter over the high ground at Fleggburgh and could not see a single sail out on the marshes towards Ranworth.

No-one at Potter so we drove on to Ludham Bridge, where we saw the first of the Thames A raters turn the buoy at about 1330. By then there was a reasonable light breeze on the open marshes and they were heeling to it quite well. As we drove through Catfield there was a torrential downpour for about an hour, which flooded the roads and totally killed the wind. Last night and this morning, at the Wayford Bridge, we have seen nothing but mist and not the slightest breath of wind. 

I notice the HSC webcam shows the Swan corner totally empty. Has anyone actually finished yet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we were the last boat to finish at 5.30 I can't imagine anyone after us as the tide had started running out and we took about an hour to finish from the new inn.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2