12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Diesel heaters are not the only domestic use of fuel, just running the engine charges the batteries for light and heats water, that's domestic usage.

Very true and hence most likely the 60/40 split is upheld here in Norfolk , thing is its not up to the yard to dictated the % of use that's the owners responsibility and that's why you should sign a decoration every time you fill up as consumption between domestic an propulsion varies on the time of yr etc , the only place I can think of that asked for a signed declaration is good child's where as the law says it should happen every time regardless of yard .

31 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I bought diesel in Beccles and was asked if I have a diesel heater, when I enquirered I was told it makes a difference to what I would be charged.

Doug.

You should have said yes I do and I use 80% of my diesel on domestic use so yes it will have a bearing on the final price of filling up n see how they got on with what the law actually states rather than the falsehood of the 60/40 split just so they don't have any more paperwork to do.  I'm taking it you had to sign a decoration at the time of purchase ? .

17 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

We used a 13.5kg bottle over three days on our last visit in November.

It was only on during the day and came as a bit of a shock to find

it using that amount.

That's around 3 times the cost of running my Airtronic D2 on full, what KW output is the system?

Hi Bill. We had an older version of the Trumatic on the Green Lady also on butane. Our gas locker is in our aft deck well and although shielded from the weather would get very cold. If the gas bottle was only a third full the system would not work. We removed it in the end and fitted a multi fuel stove as this boat rarely goes anywhere. I do wonder if you can convert to propane as I suspect you are not getting all your 13.5Kg. 

Colin:default_winko:

Hi Colin. The bottle(s) were definitely empty. I picked them up to check!

Richardsons in Horning are doing all the upgrades and I have asked

them to look into it, but it does say on the plaque that it can use Propane.

I asked them to check that the cooker and hob can use it and if so, change

it over as the regulator needs changing anyway as it's not a Calor unit and

therefore I would have to carry the bottles some distance to change them

rather than getting them from Richardsons. (I'm getting to old for that malarky)

Just as an added thought....Has anyone had any experience of those units you

stick on the side of the bottles to say how much gas is left in it?

Hi Bill,

I had one of those strip things, for a short time, if it was a hot day it didn't show any display if it was a cold day always showed full even on a bottle I knew was empty.

I reverted back to shaking the bottle as an estimate,

Then again we only get through one a season ( 4.5kg bottle).

paul

Oh I like that idea Stuart. I've not seen those before. Just found the propane version on fleabay for£9.99. I think I will be ordering a couple of them.

Bill, glad to hear you got the most from your bottles. Just thought I'd mention it. Our first winter living onboard we had to keep swapping the bottles over to keep one warm so the heating would work:facepalm: not good practice. I hope your cooker will be ok for propane. Unless it is really old it should be ok. We also have used an old set of bathroom scales to check the content of a cylinder. Not that accurate but good enough to know if we were going to run out.

Colin:default_beerchug:

Must admit I have never found them to be a lot of good - yes they do give you warning but not as much as you might think or would wish for!! The gauge does not, in my limited experience, act like a fuel gauge in a car for example, but drops away pretty sharpish towards the end.

18 minutes ago, finny said:

pick the bottle up and shake always worked very well for me 

finny

Exactly back to basics and trust your instincts , BTW what's wrong with carrying 2 bottles , one in use and the other full , or is it just an experienced live aboard thing :12_slight_smile: , the last time I ran out of gas mmm let me think mm like never :default_coat:

16 minutes ago, w-album said:

I looked at this thread several days late but the issue about diesel for heating or making the engine run interested me as WR has no hot water or heating so I shouldn't pay the extra tax when buying fuel!! Thanks for this...

:default_blink:

12 hours ago, w-album said:

I looked at this thread several days late but the issue about diesel for heating or making the engine run interested me as WR has no hot water or heating so I shouldn't pay the extra tax when buying fuel!! Thanks for this...

You have got it the wrong way round, you should be paying the extra tax as you are using diesel solely for propulsion, but as mentioned earlier in the thread most broads boatyards wont charge you the extra 

In the near future I'm going to start a new thread with exactly what the government , HMRC state is the law regarding diesel and boat , just a touch busy at the moment sailing :12_slight_smile:

2500ltrs for road use before you have to pay tax on it http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff.

How much of that applies to using Veg oil as Boat fuel I don't know, but I've never seen anyone testing motor boat tanks on the broads for incorrect fuel.

if you fitted a Landrover Diesel engine up to and including the 300TDI, you can just add veg oil up to 80% in the summer without processing. in the winter it's just too thick.

So I'm running on 100% Diesel at the moment in the landrover..

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

How much of that applies to using Veg oil as Boat fuel I don't know, but I've never seen anyone testing motor boat tanks on the broads for incorrect fuel

Back when the tax was being planned and was to be enforced by C&E I put in a serious application to run the Broads boat fuel testing vessel along the lines of the road fuel testing units we already had (and still do, run by HMRC) complete with figures on numbers of boats and estimated yearly consumption. Got back a lovely letter from the Board of Commissioners saying basically don't be so silly and carry on going through suitcases!  Boatyard fuel sale logs are looked at by the visiting VAT officer if he/she can be *rsed.