Is It Just Me? Broom Boats Videos

JawsOrca

It’s clear to me why Broom have done this, it’s because speed sells !

as a society we seem for some unexplained reason buy things on how fast they can go and how well they handle

when in the real world we never do such extreme things

cars have been sold to us this way since 1885 when Karl Benz started tinkering about

Im not agreeing with what they have done, but can understand why 

• Like 2

there are waters better suited to skiing than the Broads, Breydon being an example. If I still had a speedboat then that's where I would go.

We mainly use Breydon because of the times you can use it. It would be a scary place for a novice though with the big tides and huge wooden posts and the possibility of drifting onto the mud.

I think it’s just a matter of tolerance. Lots of cruisers crossing Breydon together and tacking sailing boats and people who don’t know which way to turn are inconvenient to me but I’d never object to them or suggest they shouldn’t use the water too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, diesel falcon said:

I have been on that stretch of river in our boat.....flat out over 20 knots, and turned each end on full power, this was when we were on trial run before purchase ,from nya, NYA have trade plates to do this.

It,s a long way to Braydon just for a sales run, and that strech of river looks really well, dispite it?

so its ok to have a trial run flat out in a restricted area when buying a fast vehicle

try telling that to plod when doing 70 in a 40 limit on your trial run in a ferrari

speed limits are set for a reason ,exemptions for whatever reason is ridiculous

these bylaws are set by someone with a financial interest usully.

to paraphrase D F its a long way from the ferrrari dealership to a stretch of motorway even then

you cannot open it up as these people do in a restricted area 70mph ceiling max

is it necessary to show a boat at full speed?, we daily buy cars without trying full speed

• Like 2

I still don't see what harm it does and would reiterate that it seems to be responsibly managed and does not directly affect anyone.  If the promotional  video results in any incremental business for Brooms, then it was not a waste of diesel, which is the only tangible downside I can see and that is at Broom's expense anyway. 

17 minutes ago, chameleon said:

so its ok to have a trial run flat out in a restricted area when buying a fast vehicle

try telling that to plod when doing 70 in a 40 limit on your trial run in a ferrari

to paraphrase D F its a long way from the ferrrari dealership to a stretch of motorway even then

is it necessary to show a boat at full speed?, we daily buy cars without trying full speed

I really wouldn't want too be the person to tell Norwich rowing club , Norwich school , the UEA , and yare rowing  club that they can no longer use their chase boats , and besides they will do as per usual anyway and ignore it , sailors would also be restricted speed wise if the 6 , 5 ,4 ,3 mph speed limits were endorsed for all vessels  .

30 minutes ago, chameleon said:

Sorry but I don't see the similarity: It is not OK to exceed the speed limits, these stretches of river have been specifically designated as "unrestricted" if certain conditions are followed, I have not seen any evidence that these conditions are not being followed. 

I'm also sure that a number of boats are bought without being tested at full speed.

on the Northern rivers, did they not have a measured mile (or was it 1/4 mile) where you could set your revs / speed, surely at some point this might mean for the set revs that you could be exceeding the speed limits (until you worked out the speed), I seem to recall that you could also ask the rangers to pace you (with their accurate speedos) to achieve the same.

• Like 2

I still don't see what harm it does

I never cease to be amazed. The harm it does is evident in the videos - that big wash, crashing into the banks - now the only exact way to quantify what 'actual harm' this does would be to set up a study over, 12-24 months maybe recording each time one of these (or other boats) goes out for trials and the resultant wash and erosion these cause.

But common sense says that we don't need to do that, it also tells us that you go hitting banks with powerful wash and it does cause issues - otherwise shall we just make the entire Broads system speed limit exempt and undo 40 odd years of progress with river management?

To reiterate the point that was originally made though this is not (at least to me personally) about someone trialing a boat. I mean I cannot talk, having bought a large sea boat and prior to doing so not having turned the key to see if the engines started, but few are as brave (read foolish)  as me. I get it though that people who are investing perhaps over £200,000 in a boat will want to ensure it does what it is intended to, but I am not sure a fast run on a flat river would say much about the boat other than the engines work, it goes fast and does not overheat. You cannot do much else in the confines of the river that you could and should if undertaking a proper sea trial - at sea.

Now I will need to have my Turbo coolers a part when I get Independence up to Norfolk and some other engine works done too - and I may well be popping round to Brooms for them to carry out such, and after this has been done it would be nice to see the engines are working as should and in such a case yes, it makes sense to take her out for a speed run to test the temperatures and boost pressures.

Where I have issue is the doing this, for nothing else than a video shoot. Where does it end? Do Haines begin to do this also for their promotional videos, do private owners get a mate with a Drone to film a speed run and then if stopped say 'we were testing the engines out and filming it' and in their defense bring up videos on You Tube showing manufactures doing the same. 

Broom could have done a better job of respecting the environment for nothing more than being a good, responsible company and maintaining a good  image - even if they go up and down the river at such speeds to test things it is not being promoted. It is just the same as a a car manufacturer showing a car on a public road breaking the speed limit for the point of an advert  - but they cannot do this.

There are strict rules that mean this cannot happen, and even when there is just a 'hint' at speed such as with Seat who withdrew the campaign for the Seat León Cupra R after the (ASA) watchdog upheld complaints that the advert which showed a worn accelerator pedal alongside unused brake and clutch pedals, would lead readers to believe it was cool to speed. "The advertisement was irresponsible and could encourage speeding or reckless driving," said the ASA. Seat said "The advertisement was intended to convey the enjoyment of driving, not speeding."

This is why you never see a car in an advert showing speeding on a public road or portraying the illusion of speeding on one. It is also also why 99% of the time the car is on a road alone with nothing else around,  to further water down the image of speeding and more of adventure and freedom of the open road. So you have rivers and laws and speed limits and penalties for breaking those limits (just as one does in on the road) and then you have Broom who decide in no uncertain terms to show (and thus promote) speed - but they decide to do so on a river which has a speed limit therefore I find it hard to defend their choosing to do so.

I attach the guidelines for the motor industry - perhaps such should be used for the boat industry for I wonder how accurate some figures generally are for boats.

ASA+JP+and+NH.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's true, Peter, but that doesn't mean blasting along at 5 or 6 times the speed limit! I once had a Delta, similar to an Albatross which would do about 35 m.p.h., great boys toy! Anyway, I didn't know what she'd do in tick-over so I asked the ranger to pace me. In gear I was a very small fraction over the limit yet I had two very grumpy rangers, one of which told me I shouldn't be underway. The logical question from me being 'well how else can I get back to the slipway' wasn't humorously received shall I say! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

on the Northern rivers, did they not have a measured mile (or was it 1/4 mile) where you could set your revs / speed,

It is just upriver from the entrance to Hoveton Little Broad at Horning.

The marker posts are on your Starbourd side as you go up river.

Edited to add that I believe NYA can 'test/demonstrate' the boats

they have for sale just downstream of Horning. (Not sure if a time limit is in place though)

• Like 1

I spent years sailing the southern rivers and I never encountered any issues re: Broom testing, water sking or speed boat racing on Oulton Broad.

Quite the contrary, I really enjoyed travelling through the water skiers (not sure they enjoyed my tacking tho).

I never noticed any issues with wildlife or bank errosion.

What irks me is people who use the Broads as a quaint retreat who seem to want to preserve their blinkered opinion of what it should be like at the expense of people earning a living and providing much needed employment.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It is just upriver from the entrance to Hoveton Little Broad at Horning.

The marker posts are on your Starbourd side as you go up river.

Very useful they are! I use them to calibrate my log with the average of a two way run to eliminate the effect of flow and tide..

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

I never cease to be amazed. The harm it does is evident in the videos - that big wash, crashing into the banks - now the only exact way to quantify what 'actual harm' this does would be to set up a study over, 12-24 months maybe recording each time one of these (or other boats) goes out for trials and the resultant wash and erosion these cause.

But common sense says that we don't need to do that, it also tells us that you go hitting banks with powerful wash and it does cause issues - otherwise shall we just make the entire Broads system speed limit exempt and undo 40 odd years of progress with river management?

To reiterate the point that was originally made though this is not (at least to me personally) about someone trialing a boat. I mean I cannot talk, having bought a large sea boat and prior to doing so not having turned the key to see if the engines started, but few are as brave (read foolish)  as me. I get it though that people who are investing perhaps over £200,000 in a boat will want to ensure it does what it is intended to, but I am not sure a fast run on a flat river would say much about the boat other than the engines work, it goes fast and does not overheat. You cannot do much else in the confines of the river that you could and should if undertaking a proper sea trial - at sea.

Now I will need to have my Turbo coolers a part when I get Independence up to Norfolk and some other engine works done too - and I may well be popping round to Brooms for them to carry out such, and after this has been done it would be nice to see the engines are working as should and in such a case yes, it makes sense to take her out for a speed run to test the temperatures and boost pressures.

Where I have issue is the doing this, for nothing else than a video shoot. Where does it end? Do Haines begin to do this also for their promotional videos, do private owners get a mate with a Drone to film a speed run and then if stopped say 'we were testing the engines out and filming it' and in their defense bring up videos on You Tube showing manufactures doing the same. 

Broom could have done a better job of respecting the environment for nothing more than being a good, responsible company and maintaining a good  image - even if they go up and down the river at such speeds to test things it is not being promoted. It is just the same as a a car manufacturer showing a car on a public road breaking the speed limit for the point of an advert  - but they cannot do this.

There are strict rules that mean this cannot happen, and even when there is just a 'hint' at speed such as with Seat who withdrew the campaign for the Seat León Cupra R after the (ASA) watchdog upheld complaints that the advert which showed a worn accelerator pedal alongside unused brake and clutch pedals, would lead readers to believe it was cool to speed. "The advertisement was irresponsible and could encourage speeding or reckless driving," said the ASA. Seat said "The advertisement was intended to convey the enjoyment of driving, not speeding."

This is why you never see a car in an advert showing speeding on a public road or portraying the illusion of speeding on one. It is also also why 99% of the time the car is on a road alone with nothing else around,  to further water down the image of speeding and more of adventure and freedom of the open road. So you have rivers and laws and speed limits and penalties for breaking those limits (just as one does in on the road) and then you have Broom who decide in no uncertain terms to show (and thus promote) speed - but they decide to do so on a river which has a speed limit therefore I find it hard to defend their choosing to do so.

I attach the guidelines for the motor industry - perhaps such should be used for the boat industry for I wonder how accurate some figures generally are for boats.

ASA+JP+and+NH.pdf

I'm afraid that you are going to have to continue being amazed,

Brooms or indeed anyone else granted speed limit exemption are not breaking any rules or laws, neither can they be blamed  if no guidelines/code of practices etc. have been issued by the relevant governing authorities for them to follow.

It is a bit like standing beside the M6 complaining about all the speed, noise and pollution created by vehicles driving in a law abiding manner in emission compliant vehicles observing the speed limit.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

on the Northern rivers, did they not have a measured mile (or was it 1/4 mile) where you could set your revs / speed, surely at some point this might mean for the set revs that you could be exceeding the speed limits (until you worked out the speed), I seem to recall that you could also ask the rangers to pace you (with their accurate speedos) to achieve the same.

It was a 1/4 mile and I think there was more than one of them. As a kid my dad used to time us over the quarter mile then made me work out our speed as a mental arithmetic test.  

3 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

It was a 1/4 mile and I think there was more than one of them. As a kid my dad used to time us over the quarter mile then made me work out our speed as a mental arithmetic test.  

There is a dilapidated 1/4 mile marker before going into Beccles.

Regards

Alan

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

There is a dilapidated 1/4 mile marker before going into Beccles.

Regards

Alan

Maybe I'll go for trip down there, I need to check my mental arithmetic skills are still as sharp as they were when I was 12 

I continue to agree with the majority - I think! The exemption exists for a specific reason and regulated accordingly - the BA check, or should do so that it is not being abused and indeed used correctly. 

The point being made originally was whether it is appropriate for Brooms to advertise or see any benefits in so doing, a seagoing boat in flat calm waters - methinks a rather pointless exercise other than to show a G & T will not spill in those circumstances!

When it was reviewed some years ago, one of the objections not mentioned on this thread so far, is the noise and at the time I recall a number of local residents saying the noise reverberated in the valley and there were a number of complaints by these individuals. The RSPB also complained about the noise being as it runs alongside and immediately adjacent to the Strumpshaw Reserve. Valid or not I am sure,  it depends on which side of the fence you sit!

The Northern Rivers stretch is from about 400 yds downstream of the Cockshoot Moorings to around Bure Court , the big house. I believe there also used to be one on the Thurne downstream of Womack Dyke towards Thurne Mill but that may now be defunct.

At the time Brooms were particularly keen on retaining it primarily for engine testing but I am not sure how many high speed craft they are building these days. I get the impression, perhaps wrongly, that it has been a bit squeezed in the marketplace and are not building as many as it would like or indeed , expect - one reason why perhaps they have been using spare capacity to build up the hire fleet. In reality I doubt there are that many involved in the building of new boats - probably most in maintenance and looking after existing craft moored locally.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, marshman said:

I continue to agree with the majority - I think! The exemption exists for a specific reason and regulated accordingly - the BA check, or should do so that it is not being abused and indeed used correctly. 

The point being made originally was whether it is appropriate for Brooms to advertise or see any benefits in so doing, a seagoing boat in flat calm waters - methinks a rather pointless exercise other than to show a G & T will not spill in those circumstances!

When it was reviewed some years ago, one of the objections not mentioned on this thread so far, is the noise and at the time I recall a number of local residents saying the noise reverberated in the valley and there were a number of complaints by these individuals. The RSPB also complained about the noise being as it runs alongside and immediately adjacent to the Strumpshaw Reserve. Valid or not I am sure,  it depends on which side of the fence you sit!

The Northern Rivers stretch is from about 400 yds downstream of the Cockshoot Moorings to around Bure Court , the big house. I believe there also used to be one on the Thurne downstream of Womack Dyke towards Thurne Mill but that may now be defunct.

At the time Brooms were particularly keen on retaining it primarily for engine testing but I am not sure how many high speed craft they are building these days. I get the impression, perhaps wrongly, that it has been a bit squeezed in the marketplace and are not building as many as it would like or indeed , expect - one reason why perhaps they have been using spare capacity to build up the hire fleet. In reality I doubt there are that many involved in the building of new boats - probably most in maintenance and looking after existing craft moored locally.

Can we expect a new Recreational Craft Directive that all Cat A & B boats will need a Gin & Tonic spill test evaluation and rating?

27 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I'm more than willing to do any G&T spill testing. I can also guarantee a pass too as not a drop will be spilt regardless to how rigorous the test :default_winko:

Difficult to spill from an empty glass though

2 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Glass? I'll drink the gin from the bottle, the tonic can stay at home :default_winko:

You're on a posh boat, so be sure to remember to stick your little finger up as you tip the bottle back.

4 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

You're on a posh boat, so be sure to remember to stick your little finger up as you tip the bottle back.

Ooh yeah, I'm having second thoughts now, I'm not too sure I'd be welcome on a posh boat