Is It Just Me? Broom Boats Videos

JawsOrca

5 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Ooh yeah, I'm having second thoughts now, I'm not too sure I'd be welcome on a posh boat

Don't worry about it, take the drink, if it all goes wrong use the line: "I've been thrown off much bigger boats than this one"

"Iv 

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

As are all really interesting topics!

But then are we off topic, after all we are talking gin palaces :3_grin:!

And the testing practices of the aforementioned gin palace :default_winko:

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

As are all really interesting topics!

But then are we off topic, after all we are talking gin palaces :3_grin:!

Now I've put my glasses on it makes less sense, I was reading "off tonic"

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

Now I've put my glasses on it makes less sense, I was reading "off tonic"

You didn't need your glasses mate, it made no sense in the first place

Fine suppose gin palaces do get tested down that stretch of river , bit so do other fast boats , the topic is about the disturbance to the river and if brooms were right in producing this video and not how you take your g&t or how much you spill , my efforts were purely to get back to topic but hey please feel free to carry on :default_coat:

3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Fine suppose gin palaces do get tested down that stretch of river , bit so do other fast boats , the topic is about the disturbance to the river and if brooms were right in producing this video and not how you take your g&t or how much you spill , my efforts were purely to get back to topic but hey please feel free to carry on :default_coat:

I'm sorry you find this annoying and when we've finished our "our tonic" G&T nonsense excursion it will get back on track, however you have inadvertently suggested a new subject to discuss which is the "drink to spill ratio". 

This thread came "out of nowhere" but it has become very interesting with serious views expressed by all. Can I perhaps add one or two points of perspective ?

Point one - wildlife and the bird reserve.

I cannot see how the noise of an occasional Broom is going to disturb birdlife on Strumpshaw fen when there are two class 37 diesel locomotives roaring past Buckenham station around 6 times a day? It has been well proven that some of the most successful and best protected wildlife preserves in this country, are our motorway embankments.  

Point two - Brooms history.

Does anyone here remember Martin Broom's father? I do. (just). Martin gave up what could have been a great career as an Olympic yachtsman to take over the business when his father fell into ill health. In the 60s, he, Ian Mackintosh and 2 others founded Aquafibre, which became one of the most famous boat moulders. Martin saw the recession coming on the Broads, so he concentrated on building private boats which could go to sea as well as cruise the Broads. He insisted on the highest standards and the name Broom was known in the 70s and 80s as the best quality offshore cruiser that you could buy. The OP of this thread knows that : he owns one! I heard Martin say more than once in the 70s that he only kept his hire fleet going (at a loss) so that people would enjoy their holidays so much that they would then buy a private Broom boat. 

It is therefore only natural that those wishing to buy a boat of that quality will wish to visit the yard in Brundall, have a look at the building and the range available and have a trip out on the river.

Point three - Measured quarter miles.

There was indeed a quarter mile on the Bure between Oby mill and Upton Dyke but the one I remember is still there, upstream of Horning on the reach between Black Horse Broad and Dydler's Mill. In the late 60s I worked for Percivals when they were reducing their hire fleet and concentrating on brokerage. We were up and down there every day, testing and demonstrating high speed craft as well as outboard motors. It was all heavily policed by Jack Bidewell the River Inspector but we had two sets of trade plates and it was all legal.

Point four - Use of the navigation.

A navigation on the Broads is not just for wherries. It has always been recognised that there are various activities which must all be considered - rowing, water ski-ing, fishing, etc., must all live together and a solution, sometimes, is to give them separate areas. But you cannot exclude any of them. Nor, if you have any thought for the future, can you put constraints on a company that wishes to carry on its business as it always has done. Especially nowadays.

One way or another, what they are doing is legal (if they have trade plates up) so if you don't like that then the route is to lobby for a change in the law. Best of luck with that as you will be up against 100 years of Broads history.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Cheers :default_drinks:

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

This thread came "out of nowhere" but it has become very interesting with serious views expressed by all. Can I perhaps add one or two points of perspective ?

Point one - wildlife and the bird reserve.

I cannot see how the noise of an occasional Broom is going to disturb birdlife on Strumpshaw fen when there are two class 37 diesel locomotives roaring past Buckenham station around 6 times a day? It has been well proven that some of the most successful and best protected wildlife preserves in this country, are our motorway embankments.  

Point two - Brooms history.

Does anyone here remember Martin Broom's father? I do. (just). Martin gave up what could have been a great career as an Olympic yachtsman to take over the business when his father fell into ill health. In the 60s, he, Ian Mackintosh and 2 others founded Aquafibre, which became one of the most famous boat moulders. Martin saw the recession coming on the Broads, so he concentrated on building private boats which could go to sea as well as cruise the Broads. He insisted on the highest standards and the name Broom was known in the 70s and 80s as the best quality offshore cruiser that you could buy. The OP of this thread knows that : he owns one! I heard Martin say more than once in the 70s that he only kept his hire fleet going (at a loss) so that people would enjoy their holidays so much that they would then buy a private Broom boat. 

It is therefore only natural that those wishing to buy a boat of that quality will wish to visit the yard in Brundall, have a look at the building and the range available and have a trip out on the river.

Point three - Measured quarter miles.

There was indeed a quarter mile on the Bure between Oby mill and Upton Dyke but the one I remember is still there, upstream of Horning on the reach between Black Horse Broad and Dydler's Mill. In the late 60s I worked for Percivals when they were reducing their hire fleet and concentrating on brokerage. We were up and down there every day, testing and demonstrating high speed craft as well as outboard motors. It was all heavily policed by Jack Bidewell the River Inspector but we had two sets of trade plates and it was all legal.

Point four - Use of the navigation.

A navigation on the Broads is not just for wherries. It has always been recognised that there are various activities which must all be considered - rowing, water ski-ing, fishing, etc., must all live together and a solution, sometimes, is to give them separate areas. But you cannot exclude any of them. Nor, if you have any thought for the future, can you put constraints on a company that wishes to carry on its business as it always has done. Especially nowadays.

One way or another, what they are doing is legal (if they have trade plates up) so if you don't like that then the route is to lobby for a change in the law. Best of luck with that as you will be up against 100 years of Broads history.

I think that sums it all up in the proverbial "nutshell"

A couple of things I forgot yesterday -

I have seen 3 other clips on youtube which show the Broom 430 on trials at sea, so this video is not the only one.

If the customer's trip out on the river turns into a serious sales enquiry, then a second meeting for sea trials can be arranged out of the RNSYC basin in Lowestoft. Brooms are not the only company who do that.

• Like 1

I thought the video is great... love there boats... great boat yard.. friendly and nice.. And yet you give them a kicking for it... 

Its sad when it comes to this giving a local firm bad press for there advertising.. when there in there legal right to go that speed in a proper test area of the river.. 

Its called Advertising.....

Well done everyone that was going to be a prospective  new sponsor of the forum who I’ve been in talks what has gone down the pan.... Nice one....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1