Notification Of Repair Work On 24 Hour Moorings

Dear All

Urgent Boating News - Please note that the Broads Authority will be employing a contractor to do some repair work, a few days on both, on the timber capping at Rockland Staithe and Langley 24hr moorings. There should be minimal inconvenience on site but a small amount of closure will be required during works which are due to take place this month.

Kind Regards 

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035 

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

If its the same team that did whitlingham moorings then they will be in and out in no time , shame the ex BA team didn't get things sorted as fast I remember river green at Thorpe taking an absolute age to sort out .

On a positive note at least tolls ,are being spent on moorings and up keep of , sure is better than gardening equipment :default_coat:

On a positive note at least tolls ,are being spent on moorings and up keep of , sure is better than gardening equipment :default_coat:

I want my tolls spent on concreting the banks so me and Brooms can speed everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

If its the same team that did whitlingham moorings then they will be in and out in no time , shame the ex BA team didn't get things sorted as fast I remember river green at Thorpe taking an absolute age to sort out .

MMM, I never understand how a contractor or out sourcer can do the job cheaper, and make a profit at the same time. Why aren't the BA doing this job and using the profit the contractor would have made, to repair even more moorings? Why do my local council no longer empty my bins, but they pay another company to do the job, which that company needs to make a profit as well!!! Same principle.

8 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

MMM, I never understand how a contractor or out sourcer can do the job cheaper, and make a profit at the same time. Why aren't the BA doing this job and using the profit the contractor would have made, to repair even more moorings? Why do my local council no longer empty my bins, but they pay another company to do the job, which that company needs to make a profit as well!!! Same principle.

BA got rid of their in-house team quite a while back,  n yes I totally agree how can it be cost effective ? .

Welcome to the modern world of working, This is how we work.

From me putting a purchase request from me hitting send as 1st pair of hands by the time I get it back i'm the 7th pair of hand to handle it. The guy who ok's the request sits 7 foot from me but it's travelled over 250miles via email and about 4 hours.

The subbie will do it in half the time and all the risk is on the contractor if it goes wrong, a boat get damaged on a incorrect joint etc BA claim from subbie.

Glad i'm not paying the travel time at 4 - 6 mph.

• Like 1

as above - its cheaper to employ a subbie just for the time you need them, than it is to employ someone full time, and have to pay for the time they take getting to site, taking coffee breaks, and generally sitting on their bottom twiddling their thumbs when there is nothing to do. the subbie is doing the work to a budget, so cuts out the coffee breaks, isnt paid for travel time, so works harder to get the job done quickly.

A subbie will use a lot of self employed, no contract staff etc. Less pension, sick pay etc. 

Its the way of the world. 

We all want it cheaper and quicker!

now a well managed own set of staff should be able to compete imho.  

And as we have just seen, not all large companies are profitable or can do stuff cheaply! Let's not get into a discussion about bonuses!!!! :default_biggrin: