Well Done BA On These Two Prosecutions

Meantime

My problem with anybody creating excessive wash/speed are the hidden dangers, often whilst doodling at normal speed it is only at the last minute that I have spotted the small child with his fishing net hidden in the bank. The excessive wash that I have seen from a few irresponsible boaters would definitely swamp them, and possibly cause them to fall in. The rules are there to protect the innocent, if you don't want a fine don't break them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, littlesprite said:

My problem with anybody creating excessive wash/speed are the hidden dangers, often whilst doodling at normal speed it is only at the last minute that I have spotted the small child with his fishing net hidden in the bank. The excessive wash that I have seen from a few irresponsible boaters would definitely swamp them, and possibly cause them to fall in. The rules are there to protect the innocent, if you don't want a fine don't break them. 

Agreed but there has also to be some parental responsibility to educate and or supervise that children are not exposed to hidden dangers. 

On 1/13/2018 at 17:39, Wussername said:

Look at the picture of the boat, speeding. Ask yourself, is that a serious crime that has warranted a £2600 fine.

You are basing your opinion on one picture that clearly shows this guy speeding. Past Swans. Speed? When I saw him, he must have been doing 15mph without doubt; perhaps more. He overtook two hire boats in less than 100 yards. What has the ACTUAL speed got to with it? It is clearly excessive. Majorly so. 

Do you think the courts based their decision on one photo of him casing wash past swans or, on the balance of probability, was there a body of evidence in support of the conviction.

• Like 1

You speak of excessive wash you want to be my son fishing on the French Rivers and huge container ships go past and the wash is something to be seen.    God help you if you leave anything lying about too near to the edge.        There again on our rivers it is most disconcerting to be in the galley with hot saucepans (yes some of us still do cook) boiling away and someone's little cherub comes haring past in a speed boat having a wonderful time , while you are trying to rescue boiling water from going everywhere.

:6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

On 1/10/2018 at 10:58, w-album said:

I wasn't quite sure about the relevance of the swans in the report but good to see they took the speeding seriously.  I assume it was achieved because someone living in the flats took the photos.

The photos helped for sure. I became aware of this guy one day as he overtook two or three hire boats coming 

You also wrote: 

Finally you state: “If holiday makers find the level of fine high. It will serve as a major dissuasion from speeding”.

It may serve as a major dissuasion from coming.  The holiday makers do not have the facility of driving high speed boats but they still speed within their own limited parameters and drive irrationally. I believe it is incorrect to associate them with a dysfunctional private owner.

1) I am not associating holiday makers with a dysfunctional private owner

2) If the fine dissuades people from coming, it its probably dissuading the very people who would speed and I would rather not have those people here if they are going to so disrespect our environment and other river users. 

The reality is more likely to be that nobody outside of the EDP area and reach of the forums and FB will read this anyway and, honestly, do you think that application of the law will really cause any impact on tourism? Hardly likely. 

• Like 7

Reading this thread, the overriding feeling I have is that yet again the EDP comes out as a paper where proper journalism is unheard of. there are folk here who (not unreasonably) come to conclusions based on what that paper has said. Others base their opinions on what they have witnessed previously. None to my knowledge have based opinions on what was actually said in court. This is far from surprising as I suspect that nobody here was in the court at that time.

This is yet again a sad reflection on the EDP. Will it ever do things properly? will it ever research a story before going to press?

That paper should have people in court to give accurate information to it's readers, not resort to sensationalising stories.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I used to sell Shetland cruisers at Percivals and they will do about 25MPH with a decent outboard. They are actually very nice boats to handle. In the two EDP photos I would say he is doing 20MPH in the first one and in the second he has slowed to about 15.

Either way, there can be no question that he was well over the speed limit!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Reading this thread, the overriding feeling I have is that yet again the EDP comes out as a paper where proper journalism is unheard of. there are folk here who (not unreasonably) come to conclusions based on what that paper has said. Others base their opinions on what they have witnessed previously. None to my knowledge have based opinions on what was actually said in court. This is far from surprising as I suspect that nobody here was in the court at that time.

This is yet again a sad reflection on the EDP. Will it ever do things properly? will it ever research a story before going to press?

That paper should have people in court to give accurate information to it's readers, not resort to sensationalising stories.  

How true but I think most newspapers do everything they can to sensationalise stories in order to sell them. There is so much inaccurate nonsense in the media these days that I am beginning to wonder if it is actually worth buying a newspaper! Having said that, I know that as long as I keep an open mind I can at least extract the basic information. In fairness to the EDP, it did state that the speeder had been caught 3 times speeding in the Norwich area and also at Whitlingham. That should have told readers that it was not an isolated incident and was therefore worthy of a hefty fine. We have been fortunate here on the forum to have members who have experienced first hand this guy’s excessive speeding so we have a bit more meat on the bones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I used to sell Shetland cruisers at Percivals and they will do about 25MPH with a decent outboard. They are actually very nice boats to handle. In the two EDP photos I would say he is doing 20MPH in the first one and in the second he has slowed to about 15.

Either way, there can be no question that he was well over the speed limit!

If the speeds are indeed as you say (and I have no reason to doubt it) then it makes me wonder what the police and courts  would do with a car driver who constantly sped at three to four times the speed limit , I would not be in the least surprised if it did not result in a custodial sentence plus a ban and hefty fine .

yes the fine is substantial but imho deserved 

• Like 4

Oh the poor EDP in trouble again but I do see why obviously , however there's one thing its absolutely brilliant at :12_slight_smile:, its superb at at its ability to get my stove running on a night , its never let me down once :default_biggrin:, even the drivel and wishy washy content doesn't prevent it from making a dam good fire , so well done EDP for excelling at something :default_winko:

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:33, CambridgeCabby said:

If the speeds are indeed as you say (and I have no reason to doubt it) then it makes me wonder what the police and courts  would do with a car driver who constantly sped at three to four times the speed limit , I would not be in the least surprised if it did not result in a custodial sentence plus a ban and hefty fine .

yes the fine is substantial but imho deserved 

But sometimes I have read that certain people have broken the law numerous times by having no insurance, tax or MOT, and still no custodial sentence has been served. Perhaps the magistrates think that the minimum amount out of their benefits is going to hit them where it hurts most.:default_blink:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

That will be a broom filming a marketing video then. :default_biggrin:

too busy filming to see mere anglers :default_dry:

It's a joke guys. I'm an angler and only ever been affected by the scullers. I was fishing on their start line:default_drinks: 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

That will be a broom filming a marketing video then. :default_biggrin:

too busy filming to see mere anglers :default_dry:

It's a joke guys. I'm an angler and only ever been affected by the scullers. I was fishing on their start line:default_drinks: 

Maybe it was being driven by a member of PETA!

On 15/01/2018 at 08:31, FreedomBoatingHols said:

You are basing your opinion on one picture that clearly shows this guy speeding. Past Swans. Speed? When I saw him, he must have been doing 15mph without doubt; perhaps more. He overtook two hire boats in less than 100 yards. What has the ACTUAL speed got to with it? It is clearly excessive. Majorly so. 

Do you think the courts based their decision on one photo of him casing wash past swans or, on the balance of probability, was there a body of evidence in support of the conviction.

With the benefit of hindsight I agree with you.