Overtaking

JohnK

22 hours ago, smellyloo said:

I think the moral of your tale is that a proper lookout should be maintained at all times to avoid the odd surprise.

At least a sail boat can be spotted coming.

I understand what you're saying and we are always careful - whichever one of us isn't at the helm helps to keep a lookout for the other, especially as to what may be behind us in a forward steer boat. But you don't have all round visibility from the helm, it's simply not possible, and there are a lot of bends on the Chet. With a very long blind spot to starboard it's a bit like a cyclist coming up the inside of a lorry - a sailing boat doesn't make any noise and if they're not tacking but coming from behind you in a straight line then you're not going to hear them either! 

• Like 2

With regard to the Chet I would ask whether overtaking is prudent other than between sailing boats? In respect to elsewhere the regs are clear, overtaking boat to steer clear of the boat that it is overtaking, in other words to take both care and responsibility. As far as boats wishing to turn into a dyke, that is a major deviation of course and that then means the turning boat becomes the one that must take care. No harm in a crew member acting as lookout and even indicating the change of course to approaching boats. As for looking back from a forward steer boat, don't they have side windows that can be opened nowadays?

• Like 1

Yes there are opening windows and sliding roofs to be used when the weather allows. But think about the logistics here. When you're at the helm on the left you can't do other than look over your shoulder. So you can see all round the front area but you can't see down the outside of the back half of the right hand side of the boat. The walls and doors between you and the bathroom and the rear cabin form a blind spot for whoever is at the helm.

Boats coming down the middle of the river to overtake you are where you expect them to be and you can see them fine. But there's little chance of you seeing a small sailing boat that risks coming fast up the inside by the bank with no warning. I don't know how else to explain it really.

• Like 2

Jean,  I understand where are coming from completely. I used to hire out a couple of Caribbeans,   they proved to be the least popular of our fleet, despite guaranteed bookings from Hoseasons, so when I wanted to use one of our boats it tended to be one of our bathtubs. Suited us though, ideal with our young family. Anyway, Mum saw to the children, I saw to the boat. More than once I slowed down, left the wheel, went into the forward well, stepped up onto the front seats and peered over the cabin roof to see if anyone was coming up from behind. Can't do that in a car but perfectly possible in a boat. No unnecessary risks and never a problem. Those pesky overtaking sailing boats, let them look after themselves, most of them actually know what they are doing. 

• Thanks 1

As I recall from my early hiring days we were advised to watch out for signals from yachts we were about to pass. I can appreciate the skipper would have both hands full (gin & wench) but it never happened. A saily can't be expected to keep to the starboard bank but holding the middle ground when the wind is ahead a signal to pass one side or another would be so much appreciated.
Still, the adrenaline from passing through a fleet is always a buzz, so why spoil it?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

You do have to have a little telepathy when overtaking sallies, as I thought the rule of thumb was they pointed to where they want you to go. But a few years back this bloke pointed, I went to overtake but he was pointing at the direction he was going to take.

As a hirer I must try harder.:default_biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

You do have to have a little telepathy when overtaking sallies, as I thought the rule of thumb was they pointed to where they want you to go. But a few years back this bloke pointed, I went to overtake but he was pointing at the direction he was going to take.

As a hirer I must try harder.:default_biggrin: 

There is a rule of thumb, no telepathy or crystal ball required; they should point in the direction they want YOU to go!