News From The BA

JennyMorgan

Just out of curiosity, just what would it take to convince you Peter. Deep distrust is hard to overcome whether justified or not. 

I cannot see a problem with the NP label, although I see the problem for navigation should it be more than that. Not too sure that any amount of discussion on both ends of the scale will bring anyone closer to the middle with so much distrust of BA.

First of all John, you must realise that IF that really could be attributed to the BA it is either Fake News or a deliberate lie!!

This is the second time I have had to say this but John, you talk some sense! I too will vote for the Broads simply because like others, I love this area and will not be influenced by the vociferous minority who for some reason or another cannot climb a wall, that does not even exist.

You will find that many on various Forums struggle to find a good word for the BA, and equally there are others who will support them just to provide some balance - sadly the detractors outweigh the others but in real life, I actually find the reverse is the case, - the majority do not want to be involved in these differences.

As I said earlier, I WILL get involved if I perceive a risk but at the moment its merely a figment of imagination, not supported by FACT.

• Like 2

I will vote for The Broads because I believe they would be worthy winner, that does not however remove any skepticism that I have in respect of the long term boating and navigation rights that we currently enjoy. 

so what we are all saying is that if we see a risk to boats and navigation, pretty well all of us would react, the only real differences are that we all have different perceptions of the risk at this moment in time.

That sums up my feeling perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, grendel said:

so what we are all saying is that if we see a risk to boats and navigation, pretty well all of us would react, the only real differences are that we all have different perceptions of the risk at this moment in time.

Exactly shame some can't see that though , this whole BA knocking thing is beyond joke , BA do a lot of good but in other ways not so good , I'm more than happy to give them Browne points if they do good n take em away if they don't , what I don't do is say they are brilliant at everything or argue that everything they do is right because it is not , there's at least one person on this thread that deserves a BA medal for his thick and thin support regardless of if they are right or not and not just here either .

48 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I will vote for The Broads because I believe they would be worthy winner, that does not however remove any skepticism that I have in respect of the long term boating and navigation rights that we currently enjoy. 

What exactly is the most voted for actually winning ? The best national park ? How can the broads win that if they aren't a national park ? They are allowed to use the term for marketing only there is no legal legislation to say that they have become a national park and contrary to what country file believe they are not governed by national park laws ( rules) etc therefore it is not a national park , it is an area of outstanding beauty that is allowed to tag along with the national parks under that banner for marketing only  , national parks in the true sense of the phrase should be up for this award , and given that country file by their own admittance state they have had a lot of feed back regarding this selection then I guess that regardless of dome on this thread thinking otherwise there's a lot more than a handful that objected .

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

What exactly is the most voted for actually winning ? The best national park ? How can the broads win that if they aren't a national park ? They are allowed to use the term for marketing only there is no legal legislation to say that they have become a national park and contrary to what country file believe they are not governed by national park laws ( rules) etc therefore it is not a national park , it is an area of outstanding beauty that is allowed to tag along with the national parks under that banner for marketing only  , national parks in the true sense of the phrase should be up for this award , and given that country file by their own admittance state they have had a lot of feed back regarding this selection then I guess that regardless of dome on this thread thinking otherwise there's a lot more than a handful that objected .

I agree it is a little like voting for your favorite colour and since it is a not a precondition of voting that you have actually visited each of the parks I would imagine that most people will vote for their "Local National Park"

As for are they allowed to say that they have become a National Park, if that was not the case I would imagine that the National Park's would have written a strongly worded letter to the BBC 

3 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I agree it is a little like voting for your favorite colour and since it is a not a precondition of voting that you have actually visited each of the parks I would imagine that most people will vote for their "Local National Park"

As for are they allowed to say that they have become a National Park, if that was not the case I would imagine that the National Park's would have written a strongly worded letter to the BBC 

Agreed but I don't think the national parks would step in its not in their interests to do so , besides according to the BBC the national parks believe that the broads is governed by national park legislation which it isn't hence its not a national park in the true sense .

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Agreed but I don't think the national parks would step in its not in their interests to do so , besides according to the BBC the national parks believe that the broads is governed by national park legislation which it isn't hence its not a national park in the true sense .

I'll give it a "Like" to comment further will risk taking this thread right back to the beginning.

No, I have no wish to reignite any form of dispute but I post the following as a provoker of thought.

The original chief executive of the Broads Authority was an astute and wise man by the name of Aitken Clark. Perhaps not universally liked but near universally respected. I enclose a link to his obituary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/7590840/Professor-Aitken-Clark.html

In return for the respect that he deservedly earned he in turn respected the views of others, he listened to alternative opinion. The issue of being a national park existed during his tenure, but in reality it quite simply wasn't an issue, he was far to wise for that to have happened. Very much a case of us all being in it together, the man was widely and deservedly trusted. Minimal division there might have been, but it was extremely hard to find and certainly not mainstream.  Back in his time the there was no issue in regards to being a national park so why is there today?  The evidence is clear, a great deal more was achieved under the stewardship of Professor Aitken Clark than has been since. The division surrounding the national park issue is not the product of the so called 'little people', it was thrust upon us. It is now a very real issue, but not of our making.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JM, is your mistrust more about the current CEO than the authority as a whole?

Clearly you’ve had much more to do with them than me but every experience I’ve had of every BA employee has been positive (even when they’re telling me I’m in the wrong) so I’ve struggled to consolidate my (limited) experience with what you’re saying.

But if you’re saying it’s more about one person it makes more sense to me. Not that I’m agreeing you understand . I take as I find and I’ve never met the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, the Broads Authority really come in three component parts. The Authority itself, first group, consists of worthies (members) entrusted to set and maintain policy, theoretically the CEO, second part, is answerable to the members and then the third part, the troops so to speak, are answerable to the CEO. I rarely hear of problems with the troops. As for the Authority members,  some excellent people and some that are not so excellent. The members are led by a chair-lady with whom, regretfully I do have issues, mainly because she is clearly subservient to the CEO, seemingly a role reversal that I feel should not be tolerated.

On a personal basis I have no problem with the CEO, he's good and charming company however, in regards to the Broads, we beg to differ in our outlooks. He is an ambitious man, in some respects quite clever too, but it is not he who should be setting and driving policy, which clearly he does, it should be the members. So yes, you could say that I have a problem with the individual. 

The Authority is a quango, that is my greatest gripe. The Authority itself is not answerable to you or I, that cannot be right. In an ideal world the troops should be answerable to the CEO, the CEO to 'chair' and the members, and the members responsible to us, the electorate and also their customers.

I do have a gripe with the system that has allowed just one man to gain so much control. Dr Packman is not, in my opinion, in the same league as Aitken Clark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/25/2018 at 09:10, Philosophical said:

When is a National Park not a National Park?

My concern is that if the unenlightened public and politicians put the Broads into the same "pigeon hole" as a National Park, before long there will be restrictions on boating and navigation since those activities are not within the average understanding of what a National Park is and should allow. 

But with around half the BA's income being from tolls, removing the hand that feeds it would be suicidal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

But with around half the BA's income being from tolls, removing the hand that feeds it would be suicidal.

Not wishing to be difficult but how much the "NP half" is spent on navigational issues as opposed to National Park orientated issues?

2 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Not wishing to be difficult but how much the "NP half" is spent on navigational issues as opposed to National Park orientated issues?

and vice versa, how much of the tolls half  is being spent on the NP oriented issues?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grendel said:

and vice versa, how much of the tolls half  is being spent on the NP oriented issues?

I genuinely don't know but  I guess my point is that if half the revenue came from NP and half the expenditure of the Broads was for NP activities, i,e only incurred as the broads being part of a NP. Should NP withdraw the funding and the associated responsibilities/expenditure it would have little impact on the broads.