Broads Angler Survey - Your Views Needed

DHolmes

Carp fishing and the match fraternity turning to commercials is the main reason as to why these sorts of ponds have sprung up all over the place in recent years. Farmers making better use of their land and the selling on for sometimes huge profits also fuels this. Carp fishing is the most popular branch of the pastime these days and the match fraternity turned to commercials because of access and fish stocking densities which also changed the way match fishing has evolved.

In saying all that I believe the match fishing on the broadland rivers (especially the Yare) is making a resurgence

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Hi Duncan

Thanks for your reply, I have spent a few hours thinking on this before replying and please believe I am only trying to be constructive as I fully appreciate the value of having a single voice to represent all anglers especially given the large percentage of Broads anglers who regularly fish but don't live in the area.

While I am all in favour of more bank fishing especially where it would remove friction from moorings the problem I have with this is (a) where does the funding come from as the majority of visitors would not be using them and the only obvious way forward would be  under some form of angling club control, (b) I am not aware of which stretch of bankside you are referring to as being lost but from your statement it was obviously under used, as I travel around apart from a couple of stretches that are regularly match fished the rest are rarely used and now largely neglected suggesting lack of need and I am talking personally about over the last 30 years or more, also given the poor access to most of the privately owned land and that most seem to want to be able to park behind their swim these days where do these extra facilities come from, I don't believe the BA or local authorities have any responsibilities towards angling so given todays financial climate and cutbacks in other important areas that dosn`t seem a likely source of investment.

Given that the EA are responsible for water quality and fish stocks both of which are as good now as they have ever been as JM has said the biggest problem is with bad Anglers and practises and without wishing to tell you your business that is where your efforts would be best concentrated. 

Best wishes with your venture Fred.

Fred, I see dialogue such as this as incredibly constructive and I really appreciate your time and thoughts on this subject

The District Councils, and BA do have a statutory duty to support angling under a bigger directive, a couple of years ago a paper was published that demonstrated the Economic value of the Broads as a fishery and the numbers are eye watering. The Broads has a greater Socio Economic Value than the entire Scottish Salmon Fishery, yet has a pathetically small budget allocated to it. I have attached the paper if you are interested in a read.

Yourself and JM, comments on bad angling practices are spot on and as a Broads angler of 30+ years I have witnessed this all too often. BASG are well aware of this and it is lobbying by us that has lead to an increase in the number of warranted EA officers in the Broads area. We were also key players in the publishing of the Broads Angle magazine that included information on fish welfare and best practice, and have funding in place to put further publications out in to the tourist space this season. I know its not a full solution, but it all helps.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publications-and-reports/conservation-publications-and-reports/water-conservation-reports/50.-Angle-on-the-Broads.pdf

All the comments you make are perfectly valid, and we now collate all feedback from all platforms in order to be better informed, armed and placed to help angling in the Broads, so once again thank you for your contribution.

Broads fish stocks are under serious pressure from all angles, saline incursion, prymnesium, illegal fishing, increased predation, climate change, and of course bad angling practices, just identify a few. If you take a look at the strategy below, you will see we have identified these and have people working in those areas almost on a daily the basis.

https://basgonline.org/download/general/Broads_Angling_Strategy_V3-June-2013-FINAL1-low-res.pdf 

Duncan

The SocioEconomicImportanceOfE_N_S_Fisheries_V5.2_Final.pdf

18 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Duncan, re trailable boats and lack of slipways. A mute point is this one. Pike thrive on neglect, I suspect that you will agree. Pike stocks across Broadland are seemingly in serious decline. Increasing access will only up the pressure. The four rod rule, easier access, increased pressure, declining stocks, one for BASG!   The four rod rule and boats is no friends to pike. I watched two blokes today, sat in a boat with eight rods and eight bungs spaced out around the compass, both sat facing the same way meaning that at least four of the rods were cast out behind them, ludicrous. There were two blokes on the bank the other day, once again with eight rods spaced out along eighty yards or so, all with slack lines and the two blokes sat in their car, criminal. BASG still has a long way to go.

Hi Peter,

Oh yes, we have a mountain to climb, and I am sure that others will be climbing it long after my efforts in the area have worn me down to a shadow of my former self. :-)

Some of the angling practices we see are unbelievable and in some cases quite literally criminal.

I agree, pike do tend to thrive on neglect and I would personally prefer if there were far less pike anglers but unfortunately its not for me or anyone at the BASG to deny anyone their fishing. At present there is very, very little management of pike fishing or pike stocks on the broads, mainly driven by lack of data and funding, these two issues are the very heart of what we are trying to address.

The access point you make is interesting, I have a slightly different spin on it, I believe restricted access concentrates pike angling pressure to certain areas of the broads, improved access should dilute this pressure and the pike would benefit from this. I fish for pike 30-35 times a year and prefer to get well away from the busy areas and often have miles/acres of water all to myself. There certainly isn't over fishing in those areas, but it requires a great deal of effort/time/fuel to fish those areas, something most anglers aren't prepared to put in.

Four rods is a subjective issue, I know many pikers than fish efficient methods that are more than capable of handling 4 rods, but I also know of some pikers that TBH shouldn't be allowed to fish even one (and I would love to see a solution to the small net, spinning rod and carrier bag diner catchers)

I would urge anyone who witnesses illegal fishing practices, like JM has mentioned with rod spacing to ensure they report it to the EA hotline as soon as possible. Enforcement is intelligence lead and unless it is reported the EA will deny there is any issue and deploy their resources to areas with reported problems.

EA hotline 0800 80 70 60

Regards

Duncan