Easter 4th to 10th April 2010

Hi Donny

Enjoying the tale, a shame you didn't get under Wroxham bridge - I always enjoy the stretch through there, and the sense of achievement of getting it under with the canopy still attached - though I suppose these days that fun rests with the pilot!

Have you got any pictures of the boat for us boat anoraks, and what did you think of her?

All the best

Dan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

We`ve taken loads of boats under Wroxham bridge without so much as a scratch, but now it looks like we`re going to have to pay for a pilot. two gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo guns , Looking forward to the next chapter Geoffers.

TUESDAY 6TH APRIL

Woke up about 7, a nice lay in, lol, the sun was up as well, this shot is across from the moorings.

post-360-13671368738_thumb.jpg

Having no plan, the day just panned out.

I decided that a trip to Ranworth was called for, as we were booked for a meal and mooring at the New Inn for the night.

We set off for Ranworth so that hopefully the moorings would be free as people left.

I did the engine checks, as normal, but this time decided to take a picture of the dirty deilsel lump.

post-360-136713687406_thumb.jpg

What a nice clean engine bay, I would be proud of that in my car.

After all checks we set of for Ranworth. When we arrived, people were leaving for their next stop, so mooring was no problem. The only problem was what to do with the kids for a few hours.

post-360-136713687429_thumb.jpg

"OK, who wants to go up the church tower"

Never done it before, but have always wanted to, since seeing some pics from the top on here.

Tuesday 6th cont....

The trip to the Church needs it's own post, because it was that good.

Take the road to the right as you leave the staithe and head to the church, about 7 mins away. You will not be dissapointed.

post-360-13671368745_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713687738_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713687761_thumb.jpg

Now when you get into the church, you can go to the top of the tower. There is a sign saying...

89 (I think) UNEVEN STEPS

2 LADDERS

1 TRAP DOOR

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK

Yeah, whatever..........

Well, the 89 uneven steps are like walking in a tight circle, not being able to see above you.. I wasn't scared...

The first ladder was a metal one, nearly vertical for about 15-16 foot.... I wasn't scared......

The second ladder was wood, only about 12 foot..... I wasn't scared.....

This led to a trap door that you have to push open...... I wasn't scared.......

I pushed the trap door open and climbed out.... I wasn't scared....... just glad I had my brown trousers on....

BUT THE VIEWS

post-360-136713687778_thumb.jpg

post-360-1367136878_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713687822_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713688088_thumb.jpg

post-360-13671368811_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713688133_thumb.jpg

here are the steps and one of the ladders.

post-360-136713688153_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713688175_thumb.jpg

I also managed to take one of the bells

post-360-136713688445_thumb.jpg

So if you have a chance

TAKE A TRIP UP THE TOWER

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC VIEWS.

BREATHTAKING (and that is only the climb to the top)

:Stinky

The kids look like they enjoyed the tower and I imagine your son and daughter did too :naughty::grin:

The next part please :grin:

I did enjoy it, Ryan waivered at the second ladder, but he did pluck up the courage to open the trap door, and seeing two very young girls, decided to come through it. Emily decided, that after looking up the steps, she would go to the tea room with her mum.

Tuesday 6th April cont....

After the trip to the church we headed for the Wildlife Sanctuary..

Even though we have been there on many ocassions, it still is of interest to find out about how and why the broads are there.

Aparently some bloke named Pete had something to do with it, he must have been a good bloke as everyone dug him

(sorry for that 60 sort of joke, dig it man)

The kids enjoyed the TOUCH TABLE, that has things like, birds nests, wings, skulls, bones, you know the stuff that kids like.

And from the top floor, you can look through binoculars and see the wild life.

post-360-136713688486_thumb.jpg

As I have said we have been there on many occasions, once on the boat trip, but this time I realised something that I had not noticed before, IT IS FLOATING, when I went to go out I had one foot on the bridge and one on the slope to the centre and it moved, at first I put it down to not having my land legs and doing a wobble, but then realised, it is moored up.

WELL, what a morning, all of that and it was only just after 12pm.

All of the walking had given me a thirst, so lets head back to the staithe and the Maltsters.

cheersbar

After all of the excercise in the morning a nice pint was called for, I was hoping that the Maltsters was going to be better than the last time I visited. It couldn't be any worse than the last time because it was closed then.

When on holiday, what is better than sitting out in the bright sunshine having a pint

NOTHING, I hear you say.....

Oh yes there is, watching other people work.....

You don't see this in Donny

post-360-136713688521_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713688549_thumb.jpg

I bet they could have done with a pint of this

post-360-136713688818_thumb.jpg

Nearly time to leave, as we have a table and mooring booked at the New Inn.

post-360-13671368883_thumb.jpg

TUESDAY 6th APRIL cont….

After leaving Ranworth we headed for our evening moorings at the New Inn, Horning.

When booking they say that they would like you to moor before 4:30pm, which is no problem, as there is plenty to do, the pub is open and you can walk to the shops to get urgent supplies, like bread for the ducks and beer.

As we approached the New Inn, Gus (the best mooring / quay man ever) gave us a wave as he saw San Moritz, I called out that we would be back in an hour or so, as we were heading for somewhere I have not been… Hoveton Little Broad

post-360-136713691423_thumb.jpg

What a nice peaceful place.

We mud weighted for about an hour, just chilling.

When we arrived at the New Inn, Gus showed us where to moor and I reverse parked into the place.

We took a stroll to the shops and after buying the supplies, I thought about having a quick drink at the Swan, but because I disagree with their policy of no mooring before 5pm except for day boats (when I went to moor, to an empty quay heading I was told, in no uncertain terms by Crocodile Dundee) I decided against it, only 5 of us and only about £25 not spent there, but that is only one family.

A great meal in the New Inn, and the kids had fun on the air hockey and 2p machines. As we left the pub, I gave Gus some beer money, as we would have an early start in the morning.

Forget plans, but plan D had come into operation.

When back on the boat, my little girl caught me drying a glass….

She shouted, hey mum dads washing pots

I answered, dad wants a dry glass for a little night cap.

post-360-136713691462_thumb.jpg

WEDNESDAY 7th APRIL

Plan D.

I had promised the kids that they could go swimming, Helska was shut, the river isn’t that safe so last night me and Mrs Donny decided……..

DARN SARF

6:45am…… Left the New Inn moorings and set off on the 8-9 hour cruise to the WRC

post-360-136713691483_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713691523_thumb.jpg

The canopy was back, every one asleep apart from me and OH. PEACE

It was a great morning, when the others stirred, breakfast was cooked,

YES… We always have the full English on the boat, you can’t beat it.

The plan was to get to the Bernie Arms for a quick pit stop, before carrying on to The Waveney River Centre

A very long but pleasant cruise got us to Breydon Water, The kids were looking forward to the trip over, as in the past it has been choppy and exciting

post-360-136713691795_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713691816_thumb.jpg

What a let down, but at least it is something I haven’t done before, flat calm over Breydon with the sun shining, it’s normally choppy and peeing it down.

I took a quick look behind me when we were about ¾ the way across, and saw a boat in the distance with a nice bow wave……

Here kids, look behind, it is a shame he won’t catch up before we get to the end……..

As he got closer, I thought, great, a bit of action for the kids……..

I thought he would slow a little, so waved him on……

He did not slow, and we had fun as I headed into his wake, knowing that if it was side on we would roll, rather that going into it at 90deg and going up and down through it.

THAT WAS FUN……the kids shouted

Mmmmmm I thought, hope the hire boat coming towards us thinks it’s FUN……

When the small hire boat went by, an old couple, I don’t think they thought it was fun, as I saw the lady picking up things from the floor..

Now I know there is no speed limit on Breydon, and we enjoyed the wash, BUT, this guy did not slow to pass any boat…. WE ENJOYED IT…… but others might have been scared.

No names regarding the boat, but it’s conduct was a little amiss.

At least this boat showed some respect for the oldies,

post-360-136713691837_thumb.jpg

And when they set off, the sound from the engines was like Thor throwing all ha has with his thunder

post-360-13671369186_thumb.jpg

We arrived at the Bernie Arms about 12:10, perfect timing, moored and had a pit stop..

post-360-136713691881_thumb.jpg

Fab Geoff. Errr.... it wasn't us :shocked

Was it Mario as they came through on a still Breydon the same... come on Mario own up!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

no Jupes, it was not Sea Hunter or Crackerjack....

I will not name, but there is a clue (a big one)

No names regarding the boat, but it’s conduct was a little amiss.

After the stop off at Bernie,we carried on to the WRC.

As we went under Somerleyton bridge, I waved, just in case Notorious was sat up there.

When we arrived at the Waveney River Centre, the moorings were empty, apart from the house boat thing and a small cruiser for sale...I was tempted....

So we reverse parked, with the back end towards the camping bit, so it wasn't far to walk to the pub.

I went to see if we needed to book a table (empty moorings, but you know what I mean)

When I got back and said that the table had been reserved, I told the kids that the swimming pool was still open, and plan d, had worked, off they went with Mrs Donny for a swim.

I said to Mother, that I was going for a quick pint, as OH had not packed my swimming gear, and while sat outside noticed another boat come in to the marina.

I laughed as they moored up, not because they did anything wrong,but with an empty marina they decided to moor next door to San Moritz.... Then I did laugh, as they tried several times, hitting our boat, someone jumped off with the rope and the helm put full power forward.

Time to walk from pub and see if they need a hand...

the help was greatfully received, and I tied them up..

The kids and OH had finished their swim, so we went into the pub for our meal.

Even though we did not need to book, when I went in earlier I asked for a certain table. It was all set out for us.

And then I laughed even more...

An empty marina, and a boat moores next to us.....an empty pub, and they sit on the next table....

Start talking, and they are new to it.....

I REMEMBER MY FIRST TIME......the guy asked questions, and I answered to my limited knowledge,

great night.