• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Have you not finished your holiday yet Geoffers :lol::lol::lol::lol: ? When you do, could you finish this holiday tale? :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Regards ........ Neil.

9th April….

We set off early from Reedham, as it was going to be a long but pleasant cruise back up North, hopefully getting to Sutton Staithe for the night.

As we left the sun was shining, another great day was ahead.

Reedham bridge

post-360-136713698626_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713698657_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713698678_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713698953_thumb.jpg

As we came to the Bernie Arms, I noticed a boat, moored up, but no life showing so I just floated by, saying to myself, Hi Notorious….

Again the crossing over Breydon was uneventful, one boat passed, but slowed, so no up and down movement, which upset the kids as they wanted it to go full pelt by us. I said to the skipper of the boat that the kids wanted to go up and down, and as he passed he waved and hit the throttle a bit. Thanks Val…something, enough respect for us poor hirers and good fun for the kids in your bit of wake.

9th April cont…..

After the (not so interesting) passage past Yarmouth and up the first section of the Bure, we decided to stop at Stracey Arms windpump to see the donkeys and peacocks, visit the shop and take a quick trip up the mill.

post-360-136713698974_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713699006_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713699027_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713699047_thumb.jpg

We carried on, and as it was opening time, or just after, we stopped at the Bridge Inn, Acle for a well deserved pint or 2 .

There were a few saily things about, my lad asked if he could take the boat through them….(well you have got to learn sometime) he did a perfect job, and had lots of waves of thanks, as the crews of the yachts, let him know where they were heading, so he could take the appropriate action.

We moored at the Bridge Inn, took a trip to the waste bins, then relaxed for a while. Aspels was nice.

The kids played pool on the outdoor table, and then spent their money in the arcade.

We had to take the standard hol pic of kids on boat, so here it is

post-360-136713699332_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
I will finish it off tomorrow, promise.

With the overall experience of the holiday, the boat, the yard and the food.

cheersbar

Posted on Friday May 21st. Who was it that said "tomorrow never comes"?. Now, 8 days later, it`s still not arrived. I bet it must be that good, it`s taking weeks to write it :lol::lol::lol::lol: . COME ON GEOFFERS, we`re all waiting with baited breath, apart from the w44nted man, hes waiting with a baited fish hook :lol::lol::lol: .

Friday 9th April cont....(at last)

We left the Bridge, and set off for Sutton Staithe and our last night onboard.

Aquick look behind and a cruiser was negatiating a yacht, getting into possition to pass astern as the yacht was tacking.

post-360-136713701562_thumb.jpg

But as you know things can change quite quickly, Here we have a CRUISER SANDWICH, go on mate, power up a bit and you will make it....Not a problem as he passed the yachts. My lad who had done the same earlier commented and said, " thats just how I would have done it"

post-360-13671370159_thumb.jpg

(just a quick note, the skipper of the yacht just starting to tack back across the river, gave the cruiser a signal to go a cross his bows, just before he started the tack)

We cruised past St. Bennets and turned up the Ant

post-360-136713701857_thumb.jpg

post-360-136713701878_thumb.jpg

The cruise to Sutton was pleasant, but as always a sad time, as we know this is our last night.

When we arrived at the Staithe, we were lucky enough to get the last mooring space available, two boats in from the start of the moorings, we got changed and went to get a table for the last dinner in broadland.

When we got to the pub, I noticed ALL tables had reserved signs on them. I went to the food bar and asked if there were any tables left, and the answer I got was what I expected "SORRY, FULLY BOOKED"

Then a realy nice lady came by, and asked when we would like to eat, I said as soon as possible. She led me to a table, that was reserved and said," we start serving at 6, this table is booked for 8, would that be enough time" I said yes we can be gone by 7:30. and as it was 10 to 6, she came back and took our order. The food was placed on the table at 6:15 and very nice it was. The lady was fussing around over the kids, and making sure they had everything they needed.

After the meal it was into the games room for a game of pool, and a couple to wash down the meal.

Right, now a bit of advice, if you are moored on the moorings furthest away from the pub, and you are going to walk back in the dark, TAKE A TORCH. As we set off down the path towards the moorings I realised that I should have brought one, it was pitch black, and there is a little inlet from the river that you have to walk round, (not walk through as I nearly did).

I made the comment that we should have brought a torch, when my lad said, "Iv'e got my phone"

What are you going to do with that, call ghost busters, I jested.

"No dad, that will be stupid, I am going to use the camera flash"

"what keep taking photos so it will give us a clue where we are going"

"No, it can stay on all the time dad, like a torch"

I hate no-it-all kids and the fancy gadgets.

We got back to the boat, and settled in for the night. Dreading the short trip in the morning to ahnd the boat back.

Saturday 10th April.......

Agian we woke early to a lovely morning.

post-360-136713701899_thumb.jpg

But today it was to head back towards Richardsons and hand back San Moritz

While i was cruising, the OH and kids were packing away

post-360-136713701923_thumb.jpg

The next picture is one of the worst sights you can see on holiday.

The boat yard getting closer and closer on your trip back.

post-360-136713701946_thumb.jpg

Then at 8:45 it was back in the yard, unpacking the boat, refilling with fuel, and the end of another great broads holiday.

Conclusion.....

THE YARD.

Again, Richardsons are a credit to the hirefleet yards, all of the staff, cleaners, quayside staff, office staff, are very polite and professional, nothing seems to be too much trouble for them

I would recommend them to anyone.

THE BOAT.

SAN MORITZ.

For a budget boat, you get a lot for your money, (i don't go for the expensive boats, as you can only moore at the same places, and the money saved is well spent on the fantastic ales and food of the broads)

6 berth, two heads with showers, full sliding canopy, two singles in front cabin (with ensuit), double in salon, double in aft cabin, enough room if you wanted to swing a cat, easy to handle, THE BEST BOAT I HAVE HAD SO FAR.

THE PUBS.

Not one bad meal, served with a smile in every one. All around the same price (only problem is, I'm used to paying £2.00 a pint) best pint was at the Beachamp Arms, a very nice pint of Wherry. Best meal, hard to say, but the liver and bacon at the Dog was superb. And the pies at the New Inn and the Ship (redahm) need a mention.

Best riverside mooring, the New Inn, Gus is a bloody good bloke.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE HOLIDAY.

All of it, but a must (if you can) is a walk to the church at Ranworth, and go up the tower. what views.

(and another highlight, getting 46 quid back from our fuel deposit)

Can't wait till next year

post-360-136713702214_thumb.jpg

:Stinky:Stinky:Stinky:Stinky:Stinky

Hi Geoff

Great tale and some cracking pictures cheersbar

I like you often used to book one of Richardsons great value range as I'd rather go more often or for longer on a basic boat than less often on a more expensive. I used to like the fact that even if you booked an older one they had still be kept up to a good standard inside & mechanically in good running order. I found I couldn't count on the same being true of some other yards (the most memorable are no longer running hirecraft).

All the best

Dan

P.S Did you notice the boats former name ("Bonne Vie") faded in the fibreglass from when she was on hire in France? :ugeek:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Thanks Geoff, a great ending to a great tale. Now i know what i`ve got to live up to :lol::lol::lol: . Really looking forward to Saturday, and by the way, an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me to the Doncaster Rover. What i`d like to do next year, is book a trip when one of the meets is on, and it`d be great if the great Donnygeoffers was there too :naughty::naughty::naughty: . Probably later in the year, as SWMBO has set her heart on a cottage near Falmouth in Cornwall in May. Go on Geoffers, book a boat for the same week, and we`ll stuff em at the Salhouse quiz :naughty::naughty::naughty: (team name NBN full ahead). Regards ............. Neil.