Salty Bottoms Whitson

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From another place posted end April this year:

Spoken to HM just now (Paul on 01502 724712) who told me that the approach to the entrance should now be made at 310deg and not 330 as used to be the case. Once in the entrance keep to sboard to the knuckle (where entrance widens) then to starboard again until into the main river.

From another place posted end April this year:

Looks like the sand bank has shifted south. If the advised waypoint is as far out as it used to be it will mean the approach is from a long way past the entrance. :Stinky

Dates are at present June 1st with a return to suit moods and weather but probably 3rd or 4th. :Stinky:Stinky

Looks like the sand bank has shifted south. If the advised waypoint is as far out as it used to be it will mean the approach is from a long way past the entrance. :Stinky

Dates are at present June 1st with a return to suit moods and weather but probably 3rd or 4th. :Stinky:Stinky

I would say it's shifted North with that transit or don't we have a new waypoint.

Jonathan :Stinky

So

Crackerjack

Serenity

Clandestine

Sea Hunter

Sea Gem

Purbeck Princess?

Have we got everyone?

Plan is Southwold, meet up at RNSYC, as at present Somerleyton bridge is out. sure there will be boats out of both Yarmouth and Mutford.

Leaving currently Tuesday, possibly earlier if there are berths available and it fits with everyone. return to suit weather and moods.

If anyone has dates they have to make now would be a good time to say.

Yup we would love to

...subject only to conditions on the sea on the day, and as I have heard so much about the issues entering Southwold, the timing of our entrance.

I also am having probs with my sat nag, and whilst I dont suppose this would completely rule out a trip..I would prefer it was working!!!

The unit has worked only intermittently since we have had it. Basically it doesnt acquire any sattelite data, almost like the antennae isnt plugged in.

Any bright ideas on what to do to identify the fault anyone???

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

Hi i have a navman 5600 which does the same thing sometimes, so as an electronics expert (not :liar ) i wiggle the wire at the antennae and then all is fixed

Looks like we will be heading down to Southwold on the 11am bridge (Yarmouth) 29th May. As we are meeting up with friends in Southwold for the weekend. If any one would like to join us we will be cruising at around 12kts for 1.5 hours.

The Harbour now have their new survey posted. Although the notes contradict the chart.

http://www.waveney.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... ur2010.jpg

Jonathan :Stinky

• 2 weeks later...

Crackerjack

Serenity

Clandestine

Sea Hunter

Sea Gem

Purbeck Princess?

Will be talking to Southwold over the weekend to find out what berth availability is for Whitson Week.

Purbeck Princess do you know yet if you are making the trip?

Last chance for anyone else to make themselves known.

Tides are better the weekend than later in the week so possibly a Sunday or Monday departure if the weather is ok, berthing is available and everyone is ok with it.

Just had a chat with the Harbour Master and it looks like Monday is going to be the first day they can fit us in although he is checking and coming back to me tomorrow mid day.

They have 25 boats booked in for Saturday and Sunday which may not sound a lot but there is only room for 6 or 7 boats along side and from there on everything is rafted out

I'm sorry but we can't make the Salty Bottom outing - I'm recovering from a retinal tear operation and have been advised that having fun at sea is definitely on. We're completely gutted and have been looking forward to this. I hope you all have a great time - we might drive down to say hello and be jealous. I'll be fit in a few weeks time and ready to join in any more trips. Is anyone interested in going to Holland or another coastal trip July/August?

cheers

Howard

Hi Mark,

With the tide times as they are we will be going in in the afternoon so hopefully departing boats will have already left.

Good news is that the new man at Southwold did as promised ring me back on Sunday, Bad news is that after speaking to his bosses nobody knows what berths are available.

Hi Wayne,

Will be going down Monday lunchtime. I suggest we all meet up at Hamilton Dock or RNSYC prior to going, that could be either Sunday sometime or Monday Morning.

If possible we can then split the boats up according to cruising speed but if not I am sure we can sort something for anyone who may be a bit nervous so that they run in Company.

We will be going in just before high water as our main cabin is in the bow and the ebb makes a hell of a racket on the bedroom walls if we moor into it, if anyone want's to moor with their bow into the ebb it would be best to wait for the tide to turn before approaching the moorings.

Southwold is not difficult, in fact it is very easy if you get the timing right but there is one hell of an ebb tide that demands respect if you enter mid flow.

:grin: I thought the S41 had caught your eye yesterday Gav :naughty:

For me it was a toss up between the S41 and the Phantom 38... unfortunately Ann has the key to the moneybox and I'm not aloud to spend it because apparently we have to have a really extravagent extention on the house, whereby I'm thinking that a garage conversion is quite sufficient! :party2:

We will be going in just before high water as our main cabin is in the bow and the ebb makes a hell of a racket on the bedroom walls if we moor into it, if anyone want's to moor with their bow into the ebb it would be best to wait for the tide to turn before approaching the moorings.

Ours is similar Ian, so I guess we'll also be wanting to have the pointy end towards the sea :grin:

We were thinking of maybe going down to Lowestoft via Yarmouth on the Saturday and then giving Hamilton dock a try so Jack can give his new boat rod a little go. I would also suspect RNSYC would be very busy this weekend.

Our name is not on the list at the moment and our plans are fairly fluid as the boat is back in pieces. Still, I am hoping that we will be ready to head out of the marina by late Sunday - or perhaps earlier if we are lucky.

If we are successful in that we may well join you in the RNSYC / Hamilton to see you off. We'll also be at the RNSYC later in the week for several days (probably Thu-Sat).