2018 Calendar Competition Entry for the 2019 calendarThread

Bound2Please

• 2 weeks later...

Cough* Splutter *Cough* I'm ill you know *cough *cough

As JanetAnne says 

9 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

If our winning shots come in jpeg they will still be very welcome and used accordingly.

But just to clear up one or two technical bits and pieces that may be of help in the future either for taking photos for calendars or just for your own pleasure and posterity.

Many phones and digital cameras come with an option these days on how the photograph is stored. My phone gives me a choice of jpeg, RAW, jpeg and RAW. I only ever shoot in RAW. Here's why.

Imagine the photograph you are taking with your camera is an actual photograph on paper. To store as many photos as possible in your device the manufacturer uses the 'cheapo' jpg to screw the image up as small as it can go. Remember putting an old tenner or a lottery ticket through the wash? When you unfold the jpeg to then use it in print or online, just like the old tenner or lottery ticket, much of the information will be lost in the creases, folds or washed out in the washing machine cycle. There is no way that you will put that ticket or tenner back into its original state for it to be used. With a jpeg, the act of creating a jpeg degrades your images and permanently deletes information contained in them. You can take information out of a photograph in edit but you can't put information into the photograph.

Now the RAW file retains all of the information of the original image. Like the transporters, onboard the USS Enterprise the RAW file can 'beam' the image back into its original condition.

Software to deal with RAW files is not expensive. It is FREE. Nor is it a long drawn out process, it is quick and simple once you have it installed. Now you all know me, I don't like spending money if I can help it, and in the case of photo manipulation software, the FREE stuff is BETTER than the 'paid for' variety.

All that has to be done to use a RAW file once you have the software is pop the card from your phone or camera into your computer. Click on the files you wish to download or view. If you wish to print your photo just print them. If you wish to convert them into a useable format and save them then do so.

The thing is...nobody uses jpegs for anything. It's just a cheap method for the manufacturer to store more photos on the device or card. You can convert the image into a jpeg if you really want to, but it's like storing a video file in Betamax instead of an MP4. If you must convert your image to use online or in film or computer game you would use a png, tiff or Targa file. So best to just take RAW files if you can and eradicate the jpeg.

Now if your phone or camera does not save RAW files then the best that you can do is make sure all of the settings in your device are set to maximum quality before taking any pictures and remember the old adage about the silk purse and sow's ear.

Here's a link to Gimp software, RAW image software and a handy tutorial.
https://www.daviesmediadesign.com/project/open-raw-images-gimp-2-10/

Now I'm off back to bed as the antibiotics are not working this time around and I feel battered with bits missing... like a jpeg I suppose :default_smile: *cough *splutter *rasp *cough

• Thanks 4

following Tims instructions (bearing in mind I have used the gimp before results in a huge file no matter which way I process it (remember my camera is old so uses old raw settings) this is 41.7mb but the forum software will automatically reduce the file for display.

IMG_0128.png